1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hug a Lineman Today

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Sonya, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had a big windstorm yesterday afternoon and our power went out. Watching the facebook feed for our community was a little scary as trees fell across roads and onto cars. Luckily, it seems like nobody was hurt but nerves were frayed and all 22K of us were without power, and for many of us that means no water.

We snuggled deep into our flannel and down last night and tried not to think about how long the power would be out. Just the other day we were talking about the storm 5 years ago when we were iced into the house and had no power for 5 days. I was laying there in the dark trying not to think about that time. My dog was super sick and we couldn't drive anywhere, even if a vet was open. It was terrible.

Woke up at 5:30, it was 50 degrees in the house. No coffee. No stove. No lights. No computer. No flushing toilets. UGH! We were making out plans for how to best endure. Dan was getting the wood burning stove going in our basement. We can keep that room warm at least.

Then the lights came on! HURRAY!! After a brief round of the Hallelujah Chorus, I went online and saw photos of our local linemen out there in the dark, cold and stormy weather working all night to remove trees and get the power lines back up where they belong.

I looked outside, but no workers were in our neighborhood. So, please do me a favor. If you see a lineman today, please give them a HUGE hug for me and maybe a wet kiss on the mouth if you are so inclined. :nworthy:

2. Bond

Bond Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree, it can be very dangerous work.

My paternal grandfather was a lineman and was killed on the job during a bad storm when my dad was only 6.

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My next door neighbor is a lineman. He's not the huggie type. And I'm not kissing him. Maybe I'll buy him some beer.

4. DESPERADO

DESPERADO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :wave: r u guys getting ready 4 the new movie about lineman starring John Travolta?? :beer:

5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Beer is good.

Every time my furnace comes on, I do a little dance of gratitude for the PSE workers who were out there in the blow last night.

6. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sonya, I agree that linemen are definitely citizen-heroes that put their life on the line to keep the "juice" on for everyone else!

Below is a pic of my favorite lineman. He cooks a mighty tasty hotdog during his safety presentations!
    (Apparently hot dogs have a similar content of water to the human body.)

lineman.jpg

7. phantomfj

phantomfj Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are definitely not appreciated enough, especially those in mountainous areas.........Their call-outs come in the worst of weather........and I shudder when I look at the power lines planted in cliff faces or running up/along those mountains, I wouldn't want their job in normal weather, much less during the nasty stuff...........and I was an industrial electrician who did work on high voltage equipment

8. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OH,you mean a guy who climbs up telephone poles,I thought you meant a football player.Sorry.

9. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess you could hug a football player too, if you felt the need.

I meant these guys:
    lineman.jpg

Cleaning up after this:
    trees.jpg

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had two (late) uncles who were career linemen. At family gatherings we usually had a number of various electrical types, from the "fix yer wiring and yer switches" type to the hardcore high-wire linemen. It was very obvious, from listening in to their shop-talk, who was higher on the electrician pecking order. :)

Yeah, they do work hard and I remember them being "on call" and the weekends when it was cold and when the weather was nasty was the most likely that they would get a trouble call.

Thank {diety} that all of the power, at least where we live, is underground. We haven't had (knocking on wood, the talking heads are predicting a re-run of the Great Blizzard of 1888 today) any kind of a significant power outage for years.

11. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We lose power on a regular basis, lots of trees with snow and ice storms, but you learn to deal with it. Years ago I had a huge branch fall on our feed line and was pulling it down. They came out and cleared it, there was another dead branch about fifty feet away right above the main line. All they would've had to do was move the truck. They wouldn't do it, said they were going to lunch. So I went in the house and five minutes later their across the street, using the bucket to hang Christmas lights on a red head's pine tree. Not that I didn't understand, (her in a bikini weeding a flower bed may have swayed me buying this house) but it pissed me off. So I grabbed my camera got a few pics and asked them if their boss would understand them blowing off doing their job so they could hang light's. Turns out they did have time to trim one more branch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.