1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How reliable is the WAX bus schedule?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by notbutter, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notbutter

notbutter Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For my return flight, I see on the WAX bus schedule that there is one that leaves Tropicana and LV Blvd exactly two hours before my flight. It sounds ideal, as I'm staying at the Trop. My only concern is I'm traveling with some expensive chocolate to take home. It can tolerate some time out in the sun while I wait for the bus, but I don't want to do anything stupid like wait 40 minutes for the bus and have the chocolate melt.. At the time of day I want to ride (early afternoon, aka peak temperature), the WAX runs about hourly. Can I depend on the bus to show up when it says it will ( or within a few minutes)? If the wait gets too long or its really hot, I could abandon the WAX, head back to the Trop, and catch a cab. I'm just trying to get a sense of how much I can rely on the schedule.

PS-- Is there a website or Android app that shows LV bus routes in real time? It'd be awesome to see exactly where the bus is and how long it'll take to get to my stop.

2. jimboguy

jimboguy Blubbery Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have taken the WAX about a dozen times. With the exception of one time when there was an accident on Tropicana that caused the WAX to stop running entirely, the WAX has been punctual indeed.

The Ride Tracker feature on the m.rtcsnv.com/mobile site offers real time tracking by entering your Stop ID (located on the bus stop sign).

3. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've taken the WAX at least a dozen times and the only problems I've encountered were during a rush hour (or Tropicana MGM construction - I sure hope it is over by now) which is out of the bus driver's control and one time when the bus never came (left after 15 minutes - didn't wait for another hour).

The reliability is decent for public transportation, and you should be OK sticking with non rush hour times (or weekend). You can always walk 1/2 block back to the entrance to hop in the cab if there are any issues.

The RTC has a mobile app on their website to track buses.

4. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your concern is understandable.

My experience has been that the WAX has been amazingly on schedule -- a couple of times it was maybe two or three minutes early. The driver would pause the bus until the exact time expected. Then, off we'd go!

5. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my experience of leaving from the airport and from downtown, it is usually close to ontime, certainly within 10 min and usually much less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.