1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How often do you leave Vegas a winner?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by BreakEven, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreakEven

BreakEven Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got drawn in a few years ago with cheap rates & then amazing comp offers. On my first time in Vegas as a gambler, I got a hand pay. That's my first and only. So since then, it's been a pretty long streak of losing. I justify it in my mind by figuring that I had a great time, and the amount of money I gambled was mostly offset by the comps.

So I was wondering...how often do you folks leave Vegas with a net profit?

Only 2nd trip for year :(
  2. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    a lot of us in our group come home small winners on a lot of trip employing the "chasing" methodology. the downside is you end up with some HUGE losses when the chasing doesn't pay off.

That said, in my 80 trips, the first 40 I was under-bankrolled and probably came home a winner twice. In the past 40, I've come home ahead 75% of the time, but the biggest couple losses are probably bigger than all the wins put together, except for one really big winning trip which was the genesis of my going so often after that big win.

Many, many of the winning trips were either up early and play conservative the rest of the trip, or down early and hit the ATM POS Debit hard and often, eventually getting back ahead slightly and packing it in.

I feel like i've been SUPER lucky and still had some huge, debilitating losses in there. I wouldn't recommend chasing to anyone, except maybe Natedog right now.

3. Pinny Long

Pinny Long High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always consider myself a winner because I go with the intent of having a blast and always achieve that goal. But if you're talking purely win/loss final profit . . . . . Uhhh, almost never. I had decent jackpots ($3200 and $4000 respectively) in about 15 years of gambling.

4. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm 0 for 6, but only 4 of those trips I gambled. Things are gonna change for this upcoming lucky number 7 trip though.

5. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Every single time. I was born a winner. My mom told me so. :cool:

6. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably 1 in 6 or 7 trips. Have come close to break-even on about 2 or 3 of 6 or 7 trips.

You do get better at this though, the first 19 of 20 trips I probably lost.

Since then half have been winners or < $500 losses.

7. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My relative used to gamble a lot and win handpays like crazy in the 80s and 90s but now that they have TIGHTENED slots, handpays are like years apart.

8. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This seems to be the trend as well.

You get "better" at gambling.

Well, I am on my first 8 trips and only 1 of them has been a winner. I was up $900 bucks on a $700 bankroll at Mandalay Bay on the morning of departure. EXCITING! This was my 3rd trip. That was back when I had 3-day trips; now I am usually on 7-20 day trips. I used to play $1 slots exclusively; now I play 9 cents per spin. I am having just as much fun, if not more fun.

All the rest of the trips have been losers (although I had a $500 win on a $300 bankroll for a day in atlantic city), but I definitely go to Vegas because of the totality of the experience. I have never lost it all though because it provides a psychological cushioning to go home with something.

9. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eight years ago I started keeping track of our (my wife and I) gambling wins and losses on each trip and cumulative. Since that time we have won on 15 of our 22 trips and have not had a losing year. Last year for the first time we lost on 2 of 3 trips, but still managed to eck out a gain for the year. I exclusively play FPDW while my wife switches between FPDW and NSUD.

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every 6-8 trips or so, but not by much... I'm still awaiting the BIG win!!!

11. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just being able to get to go to Vegas makes me a winner. :beer:

12. zenvegas

zenvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've probably been toVegas about 17 times. Ive probably only won about 3 or 4 times.
    No big losses. However I have also found how I do also depends on where I stay/gamble.
    Stupidly i've been playing more slots over the years. It seems that CET have the worst pay tables.
    I guess its risk reward for comped rooms.
    When I visit later this year I may take my comped room at one of the CET hotels and do most of my gambling elsewhere.

13. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Leave with a net profit = 1 out of every 9 trips
    Come home with the same size bankroll = another 1 out of 9
    Return with half my BR = 2 out of 9

That leaves over half my trips where I come home flat broke!!! :cry:

I go to have fun, drink, eat like a pig, and mingle with the hookers.
    The money I take is just for that purpose. I'm on vacation and wanna have a blast! Winning, or coming home with more dough is truly an option for me.
    But it is always welcome! :evillaugh

14. AlwaysVegas

AlwaysVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since I switched to almost exclusively video poker and on machines mostly with the 100% w/optimum play, I'd say in the last dozen trips (besides cutting losses hugely) I've been ahead maybe 3 times and lost less than $300 (over 6 days) 5 times. The remainder I was just about even.

15. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas + laughlin & Reno/Tahoe Cumulative Results through today

Decade: Won/Loss Record; Cumulative Win/Loss for Decade
    Best & Worst Trip during Decade; Amount; Hotels I stayed during the trip.

1990s: 5-2 Won $7,314
    Best Trip: August 7-16, 1994 Work / Vacation Trip: Up $4,400 @ Tropicana & Harrah's.
    Worst Trip: June 10-13, 1991 - First Trip to Vegas Down $2,500 @ Riviera

2000s: 6-10 Lost $12,639
    Best Trip: December 8-13, 2004: Up $1,071 @ Stardust & Aladdin II.
    Worst Trip: December 4-12, 2005: Down $3,107 @ Boulder Station & Stardust.

2010s: 5-12 Lost $9,107
    Best Trip: January 14-17, 2010: Up $3,506 @ Luxor (One and only RSF on VP - $1 Progressive).
    Worst Trip: March 11-15, 2010: Down $4,366 @ Flamingo & Bellagio (Gave it all right back).

Lifetime Record:
    16-24 .400 Winning Percentage
    Average Trip Result: $361 Loss
    Average Daily Result: $60 Loss

2012 Record: 6 Trips, 40 Days,
    Lost $65. Was more disciplined in 2012, sticking with 9/6 JOB or better VP machines, Blackjack and Live Poker for the most part. I played at the same denomination levels as previous trips (Mostly quarter or dollar VP (1-3 line), green - black chip blackjack, $2-6/4-12 limit poker and tournaments).

That is the game plan for my one planned trip in 2013.

16. Gregsmt

Gregsmt Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've brought home a small profit most of the times I went out to Vegas until 2011 trip. I brought home +$17000 . Mostly from craps. 2012 trip I was about even then went on tilt and lost 2500 in the last 4 hours of the trip. And of course the 2013 trip was horrible. I was down $22,000 and made a 5k comeback in the final few hours but still had a $17k loss for the trip. Maybe next year

17. weluvvegas

weluvvegas Vegas Slot Junkie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whenever we leave Vegas with ANY of our original bankroll still in tact, we call it a winning trip. That usually means that we won enough to cover our food and other non-gambling expenses and even though we may not come home with actual winning profits....it still feels good not to come home dead broke...which has happened before! We've never had a handpay in more than 14 or so trips. The only handpay I've every gotten is when the machine malfunctioned and wouldn't give me my TITO so the floor guy had to cash me out for my measley $5 still left in there...

40th Birthday Bash!
  18. mjames1229

mjames1229 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    7 trips each to Las Vegas and Reno since 1995.

Two winning Vegas trips (May 2009 and November 2009) and winning Reno troops (May 2007 and April 2010)... Notice three consecutive winning trips; still haunts me today as I keep chasing another one.

Vegas in Nov '09 had a big craps win the last night and Reno in April '10 had a poker tournament win on the way to the airport.

Reno in May 2007 might have been the most fun, though, as I couldn't lose. Perfect example was the very first night, I played $5 craps w/ 3x4x5x odds for four hours on one $100 buy-in and cashed out from exhaustion up $200. Never a huge win, but must have won about $500 in four days. Almost never had to dig into the pocket on a table game beyond the original buy-in.

Super Bowl with my son
    2017 USBC Open Championships
  19. Boogaloo

Boogaloo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my three trips, I've yet to have a net win.

As with other people in this thread, I'm mostly looking to have fun, so in that regard I'm doing great though.

20. Steve in RI.

Steve in RI. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Out of my 6 trips starting in October, 20111 to this past week, I believe I have finished ahead 4 or 5 of the 6 trips. Keep in mind that the largest overall win was maybe $350 for the whole trip. I still have not hit the big royal or gotten on an incredible run at blackjack or craps that lasted the whole week while in town. The trips that I did end up losing were less than $200 dollars. I'll take a small loss anyday.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.