1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

how my husband does his guy's motorcycle vacations

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by LolaDoggie, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Jul 6, 2009
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband just got back from a guy's motorcycle trip with his good friend. They went to Deal's Gap which is a very twisty road on the North Carolina and Tennessee border. They trailer'd the bikes down with his friend's truck, it was a full day's drive each way. They had a really good time. His friend is a perfect match for these kinds of trips. I look forward to his bike trips as much as he does!

I have made jokes about the early years or our marriage, how my husband was terrible for not taking time off and when he did his idea of a vacation was camping, sometimes on the motorcycle. Him sitting in chair drinking beer, and me cooking and cleaning up as if we're home. He was having an OK time and I was not. I tried to enjoy those camping trips, I really did. I eventually took over the planning and tried to make them more like my kind of vacation. There were times when money was very tight so it was either camping or stay home. And I chose camping.

I got good at bringing really easy foods so I had little clean up and still felt like we ate well. I used either the camp fire or a homemade bbq of 2 tin foil lasagna pans with charcoal and starter and a dollar store bbq grill thing laid on top. People used to come to our site to see what I was cooking because it smelled and looked a lot better than their hot dogs. Example; lasagna, garlic bread, caesar salad and red wine, boil in the bag flavoured rice and veg, stuffed chicken breasts, marinated chicken breasts with potatoes and veg. Sometimes we did have burgers or hot dogs or steaks but mostly we had nice dinners.

By the 8th year of our marriage with 3 years tacked on co-habitating before that, I was getting pretty tired of that routine. So, I conspired with my husband's old boss and booked a trip to Vegas non refundable. And then over some drinks in Vegas I told my husband I was never going camping again. Like...ever. I did my time. However he was welcome to go on trips with the guys as long as he didn't neglect his obligations to me. So, that's how he started going on guy's motorcycle trips when able.

On this trip he took his little android tablet (samsung nexus 7) and he video called me a few times. The cheap sob who took me camping is still in there. He's showing me around the motel room. And here's a quote from my husband as he's showing me around;

"This place is great. We've got everything! Look, there's a coffee maker, a toaster oven, a microwave, a fridge. There's laundry by the motel office. We went to the grocery store and bought pizza pockets and bananas. We're all set! And it's only $60 a night, so $30 each! Isn't that fantastic? It's a bit dated, like our room at the Four Queens was nicer even, but it's super clean. The people here are really nice..."

I'm grateful to have a cheap to maintain and easy to please husband, and I'm grateful he doesn't try that stuff on me anymore.

Pizza pockets and bananas people.
  2. UTE

UTE Plastics

Sep 27, 2011
    Salt Lake/Las Vegas
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    The relationship you have with your husband sounds very similar to what my wife and I have. And, coincidentally, she also despises camping. So, she allows me to go out on my own doing motorcycle road trips and forays into the desert. I get to do the things I enjoy and she does not have to do the things she does not enjoy. And, it cuts both ways. She also has my blessing to go on road trips alone or with her buddies.

I think what's important is the trust/comfort level a committed couple have with each other. The idea of separate vacations or trips brings up significant trust issues for some. I say do what fits and what works in our relationships - not what other people think we should do.

3. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Dec 31, 2009
    Northern NV
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last camping trip we took was in 1990....or something like that....in Bannach, Montana. DH set up the tent and it was slightly downhill....no big deal, we will just sleep with our heads in the up slope. All was great until it started raining/sleeting/snowing in the middle of the night and we both woke up to a river running through our tent and all of our things were soaked. I told him I was never going camping again....and we haven't.

My idea of camping out is bad room service. I'm very fortunate in that he loves Las Vegas as much as I do, so we go as often as we can!

Thanks for the story.....I'm not that in to pizza pockets and bananas either! LOL :wave:
  4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Sep 11, 2009
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Camping is nature's way of promoting the motel business"
    Dave Barry
  5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Feb 24, 2002
    North Carolina
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    The BMW clubs around here LOVE to do Deal's Gap -Tail of the Dragon! For a few years, back when the z4 was being made in SC, they held Homecoming for convertible & coupe owners that we attended and lots of people did that road on their way to Spartanburg or back. Not me. No way do I want to drive that road. I get seasick looking at it!

(my husband and I share travel priorities - both of us camped when we were younger - and enjoyed it - but we've paid our dues and now we prefer comfortable beds and hot showers:thumbsup:)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.