1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How Much In Parts + Labor for a replaced Catalytic Converter ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I have an old Chevy S10 ( '98 ).
    A guy did the work + got me thru inspection.
    But I feel I got "squeezed"...."beat"..."Taken"
    He mentioned that part may go for $500 -
    but he "gets a discount".
    Anybody got a ballpark figure for what I should have paid ?

2. zignerlv

zignerlv Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check the part on rock auto.com to get an aftermarket price on the cat, then figure maybe $100 in labor(or a little more) for labor at a independent shop. I did a quick check for you (not knowing what engine you have) and a converter can be had for as little as $129, several more around $150. Now if you have the shop order the part they'll want to make money on the part, your cheapest way would be to get the part yourself and have a shop put it in, good luck.

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    New cat for my Corolla goes between $400 and $1200. They say the cheap universal type will work for a few months but the car's computer won't like it for long and will start throwing codes. Cat codes came up on my car but I cleaned out the air intake, and sensors and then replaced the O2 sensors. That did the trick. I was happy it didn't need a cat. OEM cats can be very expensive.

The price on rockauto/autozone/whatever is the discount price. Everyone gets the discount price but if the shop buys the part, they will charge you the full price and make some extra profit that way.

Whether or not you got "flamboozled" depends on the quality of the cat you got.

5. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That could happen but I doubt it, those aftermarket parts are just fine for the most part, you dont have to get the absolute cheapest either. Most likely they tell people that to get them to buy a part 5 or 6 times the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.