1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How I survive Vegas with my arthritis, medical problems

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by LucyR., Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have arthritis in my hands, fingers, knees, feet, and other parts of my body.

Handy hints on how I manage to have fun in Vegas:

In the morning I take my arthritis pain medication and other meds with some snacks and liquids.

I wear comfortable socks with old comfortable shoes that protect my toes.
    I carry lite weight flip-flop sandals when my feet start to hurt from the arthritis pain..... I put them on. Then I put on my regular shoes when I am ready to take the bus.

I walk around with a tote bag with wheels that are sold at the $10. stores at
    NYNY Hotel. ABC store also has them.

RTC Buses - They have a handicapped section for us and for seniors. I always find a seat. If I see young people I point to the handicapped sign that I need a seat. They always get up and give me their seat.
    The RTC Buses have top security....so I feel safe on the buses.

I don't use the escalators.... I look for the elevators. there are always elevators everywhere in the hotels and near the escalators.

I can open the heavy hotel front doors with the (Push Button Handicapped)
    and enter all of the hotels. Usually... the young tourist run to get into the hotel when they see the doors opening for me.lol.
    Sometimes I just stand there and the tourist open the doors for me.lol. They hold the door open for me too.

I have super weak hands..... so when I buy a bottled soda or water I ask the sales clerk to open it for me.... or I ask a tourist to open it for me later.
    I also pack a bottle opener for my room in case I need to open a bottle in my room.

When I get tired of walking..... I look for a place to sit down to rest for awhile. I can walk for a whole hour and then I have to sit down and rest.

Walking down a few stairs..... I always hold on to a rail until I am totally on the ground level. I have a depth perception problem so I have to be real careful.

Crossing Las Vegas Blvd. Street - I have learned to walk fast and I stay in the middle of the crowd in case the light changes to red.lol.
    I try to always use the Bridges to cross the streets. But there are times that I have to cross the L.V. street on ground level. My legs have been getting stronger since I started walking a lot in Vegas.

Hotel Handicapped rooms called Assessable rooms: They are fantastic because I need to use the rails in the bathroom. PLUS there is a seat where
    I can sit down and take my shower. The shower floor is flat and there is no tub. Some people can't raise their feet to get in the bathtub. I always hit my foot because of my depth perception problem.... so the flat floor is better.

Hot weather..... I always carry bottled ice water, a misty water fan, snacks,
    flip-flop sandals, etc. to keep me comfortable while having fun in Vegas.

There are Massage people at some hotels where I can get a quick cheapy massage. I do that sometimes.

Buffets - I always ask to sit near the buffet so I don't have to walk far.lol.
    I also ask for a comfortable lounge seat that is like a sofa type of seating.
    Some buffets have those.

My allergies: If the winds are super strong I put on my large eye googles to protect my eyes. It feels soooo good.
    When I get back to my hotel room I take off all of my clothes and put them in a plastic bag. I take a quick shower to get rid of the windy dust. The shower refreshes tired me.
    I take an afternoon nap or just watch t.v. while in bed.

Evenings: I go out to eat and also take a walk around near-by hotels.
    I enjoy doing that.

What I do for fun: I like to shop and be a looky loo at beautiful things.
    I like to listen to fun music. I even dance for a little while.lol.

Most important is that I know my limits on what I can do and sometimes tourist are always willing to help me with my one lite weight luggage
    when I need help at the airports.

Airports: I always ask for a wheelchair at airports. I give them a tip for taking me to my gate..... or when I get off the plane. All airports have volunteers who work for tips. They are really nice people.

I always ask for a pre-boarding pass at the airport gate.

Shuttles: They are great because they take my luggage and store it in the back of the van. When I arrive at a hotel in Vegas I get a bell-man to take my luggage to my hotel room.

I have a shuttle take me to the airport and also when I return home so I don't have to bother any relative or friend. It is a great service.

I travel alone.... but I think the day will come when I will need to pay
    someone to go with me to Vegas and take care of my special needs.
    I see lots of people doing that on cruise ships and in Vegas.

I have what is called "Limited Walking". Lots of people like to rent wheelies
    and I see them having fun on them. I don't plan to get one because walking makes my legs stronger as I walk more each day.
    When I get home from Vegas my legs feel stronger. LucyR.

2. weas

weas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good for you Lucy, sounds like you have fun. My husband and I joke that we will know we are old when we can't cross the street with any time remaining on the clock. It is getting real close. Birthday coming in July, to be celebrated in Vegas with my daughter and SIL. Hopefully with the added year I will still beat the clock across the street

Even if you have to someday get a scooter don't give up on travelling. I travelled to Vegas twice a year with my sister who was in a wheelchair. She had MD. She would usually go twice a year by herself also. She always said she was blessed with a good bladder even if her legs didn't work. She always said you can't be modest when disabled. Once in Vegas she had to hollar out for a complete stranger to help her off the toliet as the seat was too low.

She has been gone 5 years now and her ashes are at Red Rock Canyon and I left her favorite silly hat on her favorite slot machine.

Love your trip reports:nworthy:

3. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Props to ya! If I had those problems I'd just say screw it and stay home.

Also I'd like to put in my application for when you need to pay someone to go to Vegas with you. Sounds like the perfect job (As long as I can get drunk and play BJ)

4. OnTheHorizon

OnTheHorizon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    VERY COOL! You seem like an awesome lady and I think your post will help others.

I used to travel with my mom who had a hard time walking. We did the same things you did (airport help, etc). We used to rent a scooter for her...but I agree with you, if you can make it without one, it's better for you.

Happy that your health issues does not stop you from doing the things you enjoy!

5. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have fun in Vegas

Weas, Thank you for your story about your sister. It looks like she really loved Vegas. Her spirit lives in Vegas with Elvis.

Dfalk, Sorry....no drinking on the job. I will need an alert Nanny.lol.
    I would end up taking care of you. "Duhhh...."lol.

Another handy hint for seniors..... I sometimes notice as I am walking on the sidewalks that a lot of people expect me to get out of their way.

But I stop walking before they get close to me..... and they have to walk around me.
    Other times people are not paying attention and I have to get out of their way.

I think the Tropicana Hotel is the best one for people on wheelchairs because the elevators are located near the lobby and the Cafe and restaurant and pool is close by. Hardly any walking is needed.
    The bus stop is right in front of the hotel and they do have wheelchair
    access sp.
    Bill's Gambling Saloon is also very handicapped friendly. The elevators are located next to the check in desk. But you have to ask for a room away from the street noise.

I will be going for physical therapy to get in better shape this month. Lucy

6. Marky147

Marky147 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As everyone says, good on you Lucy for doing this and I'm sure it will help others.

My MS hasn't eased off any the last month or so and it's scooters all around when I head out for the whole 2 1/2 weeks :evillaugh

I've got my scooter reserved at Golden Nugget for my 9 days there, another at Palazzo for my week there and I'm going to try to make do with crutches for my couple days at Flamingo.

I remember the first time I used the wheelchair services in 2010, I didn't think about tipping the guy who took me through the airport and I have done ever since though!

I look forward to your trip report and hope you have a really great trip :thumbsup:

Double digits!
  7. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Vegas trip

Marky, go read my Vegas trip at Trip Report. Lucy

8. sandi527

sandi527 Tourist

Marky I just returned from Las Vegas and used a scooter while I was there. I used one of the local scooter rental places and had the scooter dropped off at one hotel and picked up from another. I think it is cheaper if you rent it for the entire length of your trip rather than rent it and the individual hotels. Saving money in Vegas is a good thing!!!!!

9. Marky147

Marky147 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read it Lucy, a really nice report and I'm glad you had such a great time.

I had a look at a couple and it only worked out marginally more expensive I think at the Nugget. Palazzo charges quite a bit more so I'll get an outside one for there I think and just have it picked up before I go to the airport when I leave.

I'll have another look this week though and see if it works out much cheaper if I hire one for the whole 2 1/2 weeks. Should they be willing to move it around between hotels for me as I move then I'll most likely do that. I was under the impression I would have to get a new scooter each time I move.

Thanks for the info though and hopefully it will save me some money :)

Double digits!
  10. shiny

shiny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Great sense of humor, Lucy! Love the unique conversations between "the job applicant" and "the hiring party". :evillaugh :evillaugh

11. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    VEGAS and humor

Hi Shiny, I hope my information was helpful to you regarding your relative.

I think the time will come when I will need someone to travel with me
    and that will be my next plan B.

I call the helpful relatives, friends, and paid care providers the Nannies.lol.
    I do have a young gal who cleans my condo, and takes care of my dog when
    I travel.
    When I get really old I plan to hire someone to live with me to take care of my special needs. I also plan to move to a Senior active Community one of
    these days when I feel the need to do that. LucyR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.