1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How high/low do you roll?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Lady Fortuna, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady Fortuna

Lady Fortuna High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I consider myself frugal and a low-roller, and my trips to Vegas a splash! Now - without going into exact amounts - I'm wondering:

- How big is your bankroll, compared to your total trip budget?
    - How big is your bankroll, compared to your net (after taxes) monthly income?

For myself, the cost of flight (from Europe) + hotel (1 person / 12 nights) is about 50% of my net monthly income.
    For all other things (meals, drinks, entertainment, except gambling), I also count on 50% of my net monthly income.
    And for gambling I'll put aside another 50% of my net monthly income.

So the total trip will be about 150% of my net monthly income. And my bankroll is about 50% of my net monthly income and 1/3 of my total trip budget.

I do have to add that the money for "other things" and gambling is interchangeable, so if I gamble more, I have less to spend on other things and vice versa.

And also: If I would go only for a short trip, I'd still take 50% of my income for gambling (just play harder), but then the other expenses would be much less of course.

So I guess it's also importand to mention for how many days your bankroll / trip budget is.

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I roll very low compared to my income, and also stick to strict budgets.

I set the budget based on how much I am willing to allot for the vacation, what I want to do and how long I'm there.

I budget daily so I can't "blow my wad" all at once.

How much the daily budget is depends on what I'm planning on doing. For my next trip, it will probably be $300/day as I'll mainly be playing poker. It has gone as much as $500/day in the past.

I've gone as high as $25 BJ, but I'll mix it up there. If I'm on a more budget conscious kick, I can still have fun playing $5 tables.

3. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since the Room is usually free along with some meals, the vacation is only a few hundred dollars. The biggest expenses are the airline tickets and kennel. This can be $1500 for the two.

When it comes to gambling budget, well, I have mine and she has hers so it varies all around. She doesn't tell me hers so I can't really say.

4. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My gambling bankroll is the same as my entire vacation bankroll. Fortunately, my base unit bet is such a small fraction of that bankroll, the risk of ruin is small. I would say the worst I have ever done was lose about 65% of my bankroll (and that was years ago when the bankroll was much smaller). Now, when I win, I commit partt of the profit to building my bankroll and part of the profit toward more exciting things in the real world (like notebook paper)

5. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gambling budget = usually 20-25% of monthly income at most, rarely more than that, unless business is slow for me. It's more a factor of wanting to go on more trips than anything. Since I'm a little closer than Europe, I would rather save my bullets for many trips than blow a big wad in 1-2 trips.

My gambling budget is more than what I spend on the rest combined, sometimes by a factor of 4 or 5 to 1. I only go when I can get inexpensive airfare and rooms, and I usually only do maybe 1-2 "nice" dinners per trip. I'm either too cheap or spending too much time gambling, so the extraneous purchases don't bog me down much.

6. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We go out for sat-tues trips usually, leaving tues around noon. So that being said, three good days of gambling I usually take $1000-1200. The wife less maybe $500-750, she is better at making her bankroll last than I am, and she always brings money home. I will say my last two trips, I have brought a few hundo back with me, nothing crazy though. I fully expect to walk back onto the plane with no more than a $20 when I leave home for the trip.

This year I will be taking whatever my bonus from work gives me, it should arrive the day before I leave, so I am guessing anywhere from $1000-1500 for 3 and a half days. Things like cabs and tips I take out of the roll, and other things like food and souvenirs and car rental(if we get one) go on a credit card and we pay it off when we get back home. Very low roller compared to some folks around here, but its more than enough for me when I am out there.

7. 21wins

21wins VIP Whale

We are low rollers. Red to Green chip player(me). My wife plays a few slots and a little blackjack. Bankroll is usually 3k-4k.

Our airfare to Vegas is always free paid with airline miles.

We usualy stay at the Orleans or South Point. I usually get some comped nights at both locations per trip.

Rental car is usually cheap too.

I use a lot of 2 for 1 coupons from LVA Members Rewards and comps for food from the properties we are staying at.

Usually the cost for a 9-10 day trip is $300 out of pocket ( airfare(free)hotels and food). Discounted or comped tickets to shows too.

Sometimes we do pay for tickets to a show(I always check with tickets4tonight if possible).

So the big expense can sometimes be gambling for those FREE rooms we get :)

Overall going to Vegas for us is inexpensive fun for these lowrollers.

8. matti

matti Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually go for four days or so at a time. My bankroll is $150/day (low roller!). So, over a four-day trip I spend $600 max on gambling. This is about 16-18% of my net monthly income.

9. JimboS

JimboS Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually spend $2,000-$3,000 on a trip for 3 days and half of it goes to women, the other on gambling. I always want to bring more money but don't want to risk losing it!

10. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bankroll is almost entire trip budget, but usually get together a few hundo in small unmarked bills for tips & incidentals. Everything else is generally comped, except flight which I pay well in advance and exclude from trip budget.

Bankroll is usually about 1 weeks work (a week with a lot of overtime :evillaugh)

11. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We as a couple typically bring a gambling bankroll of about 3K, but have never needed it all. We regularly play video poker ... quarters on single-line and triple-play machines, but nickels on 10-play VP.

We usually average about 5K to 6K cycled and re-cycled per day ... which downtown will always satisfy our mailer offers and comps.

12. Jameezy

Jameezy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On slots i can be a high roller. I do bet max on some days. On the roulette table i am pretty low

13. LA2VegasTrekkers

LA2VegasTrekkers High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We go to Vegas approximately once per quarter for 2-4 days each. We drive, so no flight cost. Room is comped. We may spend around 5% of our net monthly income on food/drink. We used to bring about 28% of net monthly income for gambling, but stepping it uo to around 42%. We'll see how that feels.

14. Lady Fortuna

Lady Fortuna High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a bit surprised, I thought people would take a much larger part of their income to gamble with.

My own 50% of gamble money seems a lot compared to most of you, but I probably earn a lot less, cause my average day budget is lower than most of you as well.

Also, I can only go to Vegas ones a year and have to spread my bankroll over 12 days, so I save up the rest of the year for my holiday budget.

And like BeeeJay, I've paid for the flight + hotel already months in advance, so I spread the finances over the year.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  15. RPMCanes

RPMCanes High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $1K a night for gambling. If the dice are hot, I have no problem pressing and taking a shot with the house's money.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.