1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games How does a call bet work

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by Scottndindy, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottndindy

Scottndindy Low-Roller

Upon reading posts on here I notice some of the larger players seem to use call bets. Is this exactly how it sounds. Example: You just tell the dealer, "call bet 5K on banker" and if banker wins they hand you 5K less commission, and if you lose do they just print up a marker? I believe I have seen people do it and they have the chips in their stack. Is it superstition that they don't want to put the money out on the board?

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    a call bet is just a bet against your CL/FM without making them print out a marker first. yes, you just say call bet $X on banker or player or whatever. they take the marker for the amount and put it on the side you bet. if you win, they pay you in chips. if you lose, they put the marker on the backline.

as far as why people do it, i'm not really sure. i do it when i'm not planning on hanging out for a long time and just want to get a bet out there quickly. the hope is that you win the bet, they give you the chips and no paperwork has to be done. for example if you just want to make a quick $5k bet while you're passing through and only have 10 minutes before dinner, you don't want to go through all the hassle of having them print out a marker, you sign it, then you win the bet, you make them get the marker back and pay it off, etc. it's a hassle for you and for them. you do a $5k call bet, you win, you get the chips and nobody does any paperwork. everybody is happy.

however there are some players who do it out of superstition and will just continue making call bets all night and signing for them if they lose, but never actually taking a marker and taking any chips.

depending on each individual floor and how they feel and who you are determines how many call bets you can make before they will force you to print out a marker. known players will be able to continue making call bet after call bet and they won't force them to print out a marker until they want to. unknown players might get 2-3 call bets before they'll say you need to get a marker.

3. natedog666

natedog666 17 and 20 Expert

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a friend that only does call bets, drives the pit bosses at the Bellagio crazy because they have to fill out their rim card every time he does one. It doesn't slow down the game because they do it after every shuffle, but the poor pit boss and dealer has to sign about 40 lines on the rim card.

As to why people do it, I agree with Shifter that most normal people do it for the convenience of placing a quick bet without taking out a marker, some people do it when they are betting baccarat jumping from table to table...

People like my friend do it because they are superstitious (aren't we all), and it feels good when you win because it's all the house's money!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.