1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How do Super Bowl brokers get $2k?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Terry Benedict, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just saw the CEO of Prominent Tickets said the price of an $800 Super Bowl ticket is $2,000. Why are ticket brokers not subjected to scalping laws?

I LOVED that Steve Wynn and Garth Brooks put procedures in place to eliminate scalping.

And props to Chicago cornerback Charles Tillman, who won the Walter Payton Man of the Year award. This is the best award the NFL gives out. And I hope the other finalists got a bit of recognition ( a mini trophy ) for being good men.

2. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First, only 20 US states have laws about ticket reselling, so thats less than half.

And then for those states that actually do have a law about it most of the time the law is either there to limit mark up or it'll say that its illegal unless you have a broker license.

3. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So a broker license makes an illegal activity legal. (Like Social Security isn't a Ponzi Scheme because it's run by our government.)

I would think a season ticket holder would simply get four seats, a brokers licence, and sell off two seats to pay for all four. Or a Seahawks season ticket holder could do it just to sell their Super Bowl tickets.

4. Kickin

Kickin Flea

There's no "broker license", there are just licensed sellers who are licensed through the venue or whoever owns the rights to the tickets.

Like Auggie said there are some states that prohibit reselling tickets. New York is one of those (at either the city or state level, not sure) but the brokers just run their offices out of NJ or elsewhere where it isn't illegal.

Prohibiting this is tricky when you think about it and a bit of slippery slope. The argument in favor of scalping/reselling is that once you buy a ticket it is your property so you should be free to sell it for whatever price someone is willing to pay.

But on the other end of the spectrum consumers get screwed over since brokers have the ability to get in early and buy large numbers of tickets through a lot of runners. So do you want laws passed preventing it in every state? If so, who's to decide what other property we aren't allowed to sell?

Its something I'm pretty split about because neither situation is ideal.

5. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's the illegal part? I often sell tix that I am a season ticketholder for double sometimes triple face value because it's what the market wants to pay. Often this is how I hedge my cost of being a season ticketholder.

6. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, thats the whole point of a license... like, its illegal to drive a car without a drivers license, you can't just open a store somewhere and sell stuff without a business license, you can't go out to a field and start shooting ducks out of the sky without a hunting license.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you ever pay under face value for a ticket? Before craigslist, Ebay, StubHub, we would often drive up to Happy Valley to see a Penn State game and buy tickets just before the game. I scored 4 tickets about 20 rows up on the 20 yard line from a young coed for $20. At least she was able to treat her 3 friends to a Starbucks.

8. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wasn't one of the procedures for Garth Brooks to just jack up the prices 300%?

9. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many of these ticket brokers get around the scalping aspect of the transaction by making the ticket part of a "package" that might consist of something like a "spirit kit" with a hat and pennant included. While the ticket is the main thing of value, it is sold as just one part of the deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.