1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How did the bookies end up on the Super Bowl.

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by PTC Larry, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PTC Larry

PTC Larry Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just wandering if anyone has actually heard how the bookies did on the Super Bowl. A lot of money was wagered and some people think that the bookies were Hugh winners. Anyone have the facts?

2. Bookie21

Bookie21 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I heard that 120 million was wagered total. Vegas profited 20 million as the public was on Denver. I don't have any links for this information, I was just told it

3. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FOX5NEWS in LV reported yesterday that over 68% of all bets were on the Broncos, so the books did well. They said official numbers would be out later in the week.

4. voltron12

voltron12 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That news report can be misleading. I am not saying vegas didn't do good or bad, but even though 68% of all bets could have been on Denver, what matters is what the big money was on. Example: So if there was 68 bets out of 100 on Denver and the average bet was 100.00. Then 32 of the bets were on seattle but the average was 500 per. More money was on seattle. You see what I am saying.

5. bluerider

bluerider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I figured the books did well based on the fact the line opened at Den -1.5 and moved to -2.5 or -3 in the week leading up.

The movement is a result of lopsided play in favor of Denver, no?

6. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/nfl/2014-02-04/super-bowl-betting-record-las-vegas-nevada-handle-broncos-seahawks-results

Nevada sports books recorded the biggest single-day write and win in state history on Super Bowl Sunday, helped along by public opinion being one-sided on the Broncos and continuing the trend of booming business at the books.

Sunday’s game, won by the Seahawks, 43-8, took in $119.4 million in wagers throughout the state’s 183 sports books, breaking the record of $98.9 million set last year. Also, the $19.6 million won bested the mark set in 2005 when the books raked in $15.4 million. The 16.5 win percentage fell just short of the record 17 percent held in 2005.

Following the game, most sports book directors we talked with were optimistic that a record would be broken, since their individual handles were up from last year. The Golden Nugget’s Tony Miller reported a 20 percent increase, while the MGM’s Jay Rood speculated based on of his own increases that the state would reach about $105 million. But the actual $119.4 million handled was beyond anyone’s wild guess.

The main reason for such a large write is simply that business has never been better. Nevada books set a record with a $3.6 billion in write in 2013, topping the mark of $3.4 billion set in 2012. Nevada, in particular Las Vegas, endured a six-year period of declining or flat numbers in all areas of gaming, but it’s apparent that rough stretch is a distant memory.

7. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very true! I guess I am assuming based on the line movement and the talk of the town all weekend was that all the money was coming in on Denver. I know there was no line Sunday morning when I collected on my Seattle -7.5!

You are correct though, final numbers will tell the tale.

8. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Saw a nice boat yesterday that was named "Caneswon". Won't be seeing any named "Broncswon"!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.