1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How cumbersome is it walking from Gold Coast to Rio?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Candy Apple, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even though they're next door, I've read that it's hard for pedestrians to safely get in and out of Rio. Is there a "back route" from the Gold Coast?

I'd like to use a buy 1/get 1 buffet coupon at the Rio.

For the second half of the trip we'll be staying at the Linq and I know Harrahs has a shuttle to the Rio, but would that be silly since we were just staying next door to the Rio or is that really the best, safest route?

2. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes.
    Go out the east exit of Gold Coast (by valet & check-in). You will see a parking garage straight ahead. Walk through that garage to Valley View. Cross Valley View into a small (employee?) parking area at the Rio. Just a few steps away is the Rio shuttle-bus area and their west entrance.

Do a Google-maps search of Las Vegas, zoom into Valley View @ Flamingo & scroll north on Valley View...switch to the 'earth' setting, & you will see the Gold Coast garage & the Rio parking area...and the Rio west entrance & shuttle-bus area.

Finally have the room booked! Look for me Feb 21-23
  3. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll print this out.

Thanks a lot!

4. 98green

98green Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Note that the Gold Coast garage is mostly fenced in, and the only way "out" is at the stairwells. And they will dump you out in the middle of the block.

So you can either jaywalk across Valley view (6 lanes, but not much traffic), or walk back to Flamingo and cross with the light.

I've done the jaywalk thing numerous times myself, just noting that if you averse to that, the path is a bit longer.

5. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Warning....going through GC parking garage will require you to cross Valley View without the lights....unless you want to walk down to the lights. They zip along pretty darn fast on that road. We have cut through the garage and crossed many times. You will have to run or do the cross half the road at a time trick most likely. If you are afraid of getting run over ( yeah it is possible there lol) walk down to the lights at Valley View/ Flamingo. It will take you an extra 5 mins but would be safer. I have read of people being afraid to do the parking garage short cut alone at night. If during the day or with someone else....best way to go between GC and Rio.

6. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the tips.

I hope the buffet is worth it-LOL!

7. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always cross mid block by the parking garage. Traffic is pretty light on that road and yes when there are cars they zip by fast but unless you're disabled in some way crossing is quick and easy.

8. 1LuckyMomma

1LuckyMomma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are pretty slow walkers (and I'm a natural born klutz!) We can usually get across there without too much of a wait. I'm not sure I'd walk through that parking garage at night though. But, we are women traveling in a group of 2 or 3 so we may be more cautious than a lot of others would be.

9. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We would go during the day for the buffet and be back before dark.

10. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED !địt mẹ!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    100% Agree..if you're in any way disabled, forget it, but otherwise, it's easy.
    On a related note: To get to Palms, just exit out of GC by the buffet and walk across at the intersection and you're right at the front door of Palms.

Palace Tower Suite!
  11. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with all that has been said.

All in all, it is a short walk.

One minute to go out the Gold Coast and to get through the parking garage and to the road.

Check for traffic. Pretty lightly traveled road, S Valley View Blvd.

Run across road, don't trip on median. 1 minute.

Two minutes to the Rio,

You will be walking in the Rio parking lot where there could be busses or cabs driving.

Doing the light is not bad either.

If you jaywalk or do the crosswalk, and you want the shortest route, look for the handrail that seems to go through two bushes, not a hedge, just two bushes.

If you don't want to go through the parking garage, then just walk around it along the Flamingo Road way, through the outside Gold Coast parking lot, to S Valley View Blvd. then you can choose to jaywalk or use the crosswalk.

12. Champster1

Champster1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    '
    at their Bistro Buffet (mimosas, crab legs, made to order omelets, Mongolian beef strips - $21.99, with your 50% off coup for palms the buffet is $11.00...for up to 5 people). They wont give you the players card discount of $14.99 for the buffet because you have the LVA coup. But at $11.00 a pop its the best buffet for that $ in Vegas (IMHO)

March Madness...here I come !!
  13. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you actually want to see someone walking/running from GC garage to Rio

[video=youtube;WswC410ELB8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WswC410ELB8[/video]

14. 1LuckyMomma

1LuckyMomma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We usually just wait for the light to change and it's never been that busy when we've crossed. We're usually there in the daytime during the week though. This may have been on a weekend.

15. sukiran

sukiran Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a fairly dangerous area -- wide streets, fast cars and questionable drivers. A guy got seriously injured early Friday morning near the Palms. An elderly couple was killed last year crossing near that intersection. When I cross over from the Rio to Gold Coast I'm super-careful.

16. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please use the crosswalk and cross with the light. Cars coming around the corner from Flamingo don't have a lot of reaction time for people jaywalking no matter what speed they are going. And the few times I've driven down that street, the jaywalkers were slow walking seniors. One was even on a walker. They had no business crossing in the middle of the street.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.