1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How big is the LVA book?

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by joshrocker, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always say i'm going to buy it but never do. I think i'm serious about it this year.

How big is the book? One thing that always turned me off was the fact that you had to carry the book with you. Are there any issues keeping the book in your shorts or pants pocket (as far as size)?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Josh ... The LVA - Members Reward Book is only about 7 inches x 3.5 inches and only a 1/4 inch thick ... very manageable.

3. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Buddha. I always hear people complain about having to "lug" the book around.

I know it's not LVA's fault, or least they've said so in the past, but I'd much rather cut out what I'll need and leave the book in the room or even back at home.

4. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm thinking about not getting it next year. It's the biggest/heaviest thing in my purse and I'm tired of carrying it with me.

5. M0rtyC

M0rtyC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its really not that bad. I keep it in my back pocket. There are many coupons I will never use so I just remove them and throw them into the recycling bin.
    Use the Palms 50% off up to $100 and its more than paid for

Annual end of the rodeo trip
  6. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

See, every year I read things like this......
    I'm not a skinny jeans wearing hipster so with the measurements buddha gave, It should be fine for my pockets. It is kind of annoying that you have to make sure it's with you everyday.

I've always been apprehensive in the past because I was afraid I wouldn't use it enough. We'll mostly be downtown with some time on the strip but we won't venture out to the off strip places.
    It always seems like a lot the value, and the more valuable coupons, are with the places off the beaten path.

7. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First time user in 2013. I have pockets that easily carry two wallets, two money clips, a pen, a phone and a camera when i need them to. And that's never a problem. The book added to all of that was a non-issue. I knew when I wanted to use it, so I didn't always have it, but it never bothered me to have it on me.

I, too, imagined the ACG when I thought about carrying the book around. Big mistake. Wish I had started buying it a few years ago.

8. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We don't bother much with the ACG these days, too many of the coupons seem to be for new member sign ups. We always get the MRB, and definitely get our money's worth out of it. We have long trips, and the coupons help with budgeting.

First trip of 2017.
  9. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought the ACG for the first time my last trip and was able to get enough value out of it with the match plays. Most of the coupons were never used however. I did pick the ACG strictly for the fact that it was cheaper, even though I knew the value of the coupons weren't as good, and I could cut out what I thought I might use and leave the book at home.

10. daveg000

daveg000 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Big pockets when I wear shorts is a must for me, I once even had the TSA people laughing while I emptied my pockets - 2 paperbacks, smartphone, huge wallet, glasses case, on and on.

The LVA book is easy to carry, about as long as a paperback, 3/4 as wide, and 1/3 as thick. Easily fits the side pocket of a pair of Levi's, you won't even know it's there!

11. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband would put in his pocket depending on what pants/shorts he was wearing. Which did help. But, the rest of the time it was in my purse. A lot of the coupons are duplicated in the ACG as well. I'm torn on the issue to be honest.

12. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty sure that most everyone knows that you don't have to carry the "ACG" coupon book ... just the loose coupons and the ID card. However, I personally got more aggravated carrying an envelope of loose coupons, and then trying to find the one I needed among 50 or 60 other looses ones.

SO ... here is what I have done with my ACG book for several years now :
    First, I carefully peel off the full ACG book cover. Then I split the remaining book, and remove all the pages in front of the "Coupon Directory" (page 351 this yea)r. Now, with a little trimming of the peeled off cover, it can be replaced on the now slimmer book, using some clear glue and transparent tape ... and it will only be 1/2 inch thick. If I held my trimmed-down ACG for you to see it, you would be surprised at how good it looks, and how much easier it is to carry around ... and all my ACG coupons are still in order.

13. OhioMike

OhioMike Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're worried about getting use out of the current year's book downtown, consider this:
    The online membership w/shipping runs about $41.
    Using the food coupons for the downtown properties, if you stuck to just the breakfast buffets(cheapest meal option of the day) equal a potential savings of $39.
    Add in just one higher end meal, such as one of the steakhouse options, there are 2 in the book, sends the expected value over $50.
    Then there are the gambling offers; $45 free slot play, and $20 match play
    at the downtown properties.
    Add in the free/BOGO drinks and it's a surefire winner.
    Sure it's a minor inconvenience to carry it around, but I've used mine every year for the last 5 or so and have saved more than my investment every time.

14. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    welcome Ohio Mike.

nicely laid out explanation.

here's another suggestion when it comes to value. as i've said repeatedly: it's worth the purchase price if you save what you paid by using coupons for places you normally go. here's a way to make it worth $15 or $20 with an ounce of effort.

let's say you're a downtowner like Ohio Mike and me. get some value out of the book at a couple of the restaurants, and get some value out of the book with a gambling coupon. let's say you get $40 in value from using coupons downtown, and that's all you use. come back from your trip and sell the coupon book for $20 or $25. it has a Palms coupon that people love, and that's worth $50. it has coupons for Orleans and Ellis Island that a lot of us here covet, as well.

i'd do the reverse of this. i'd buy a book that somebody bought specifically for the Palms coupon. i'd pay them $25 for the book, delivered, for access to coupons they didn't use.

my 2013 book, the book that got me hooked, was a secondhand book purchase. it worked just fine and dandy for me, and i passed along the remnants of the book, including the Palms coupon, for $10. everyone was a winner.

15. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you both. I will be mostly downtown. I think I'm going to get it but I haven't pulled the trigger quite yet. I think I will soon however.

16. azbob

azbob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Size of the book really isn't an issue at all.

Content has gotten worse year over year (at least for me as we don't spend much downtown) and this website forum is far superior. Even the Palms coupon has lost some of it's glimmer for us as we always used to use it for the Guardono's Sunday brunch.

I think you can easily get full value back if you visit 5-6 places and plan the trip accordingly.

17. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It turns out we're going back in Sept so I took all the coupons I'm not going to use out of this year's book to cut weight. I'm still not sure if I'm getting it again next year.

18. theshaah

theshaah Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like others have said the size is carryable. Now that I'm a local. I put it in my backpack that has a special pouch about the size of the LVA book. Then I clip my ACG coupons that I intend to use and stick them inside the LVA book approximately where they would fall alphabetically in the LVA book and voila!!!

So far in just the free slot play coupons. I have redeemed the full value of both books in the course of one day. So I spent NOTHING to get the books. It's a wash. Now I have all the coupons inside that have additional value in food and rooms for friends and such. This year I should get plenty of use out of both books.

19. theshaah

theshaah Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually I have a total of 60 dollars from the free play 66 if you include a 5 dollar freeplay coupon for silver sevens that was given to me. So I've MORE than made up for the cost of the book.

20. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I'm a wimp now. I try to carry a smaller, light weight purse so it doesn't pull on my neck or shoulders. If my husband has big enough pockets on his pants or jacket I con him into carrying the coupons.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.