1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hot n Juicy...

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Jake&Avery, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake&Avery

Jake&Avery Planning my next vacation!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :wink2:

I did giggle a bit when I wrote that..I'm not going to lie.....:evillaugh

Anyhoo....going on a girls trip in January...with my sister and my currently divorcing friend...(should be good time, right??!!!)

My sister has decided that Hot n Juicy crawfish is on her list of "must do" while we're there - for one of our lunches...

We're staying at the Paris, so we'll have to cab it...

My question to you fine folks is....(1.) have you been there and did you like it or not..and (2.) what did you order?

I'm not a crawfish fan, but my sister is - I would be more interested in the king crab legs, fried shrimps or shrimps in a bag....

thanks!!

We're booked - hope we can keep this trip!!!
  2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YES!!! It's a great time and good food... well regarded by locals as well... you'll enjoy it!

3. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am copy-and-pasting a (excessively long) post I wrote for a similar thread on Chowhound:

In my opinion, you can skip Hot 'n' Juicy and go to Boiling Crab instead, but I say that as a Southern California native. Hot 'n' Juicy is where people from Vegas go when they crave the SoCal Boiling Crab experience. Now that Boiling Crab has arrived, there is no longer a reason to go to Hot 'n' Juicy.

Boiling Crab's sauce is far superior to Hot 'n' Juicy. The latter has a gritty texture with an almost bitter finish. Boiling Crab's sauce is rich and complex, with a smooth buttery finish. Add some lime juice to it and it's perfect. I suspect the strangeness of Hot 'n' Juicy's sauce comes from the way they cook their seafood (as seen on Man vs. Food). They boil the seafood in the bag, take it out when it's done, and THEN dump in the spices. Why they choose to season only after the seafood cooks is beyond me. Boiling Crab puts everything in and it all cooks together. The flavors enter the seafood and enhance it.

When it comes to the trend of Asian-run seafood boil places, Boiling Crab is the starter of the trend and no other place matches it. The SoCal Boiling Crabs usually have a wait of at least 1-2 hours, but the Vegas location is much larger and rarely as a wait. You should take advantage of that.

Get the fried catfish basket with seasoned fries (medium spicy) to start. If you like oysters, get a dozen fresh shucked oysters. Order the shrimp for sure and get some crawfish too if they are live. The order board will note if the crawfish are live (or ask your server). As for the choice of sauce, definitely go for Whole Sha'bang with medium spice level. The corn on the cob is really good (stick with Whole Sha'bang medium for the corn sauce). Ask for limes as well as salt and pepper cups. Squeeze some lime into the salt and pepper and dip your seafood into it. The acidity cuts the richness of the sauce and the little bit of salt makes the flavor pop in your mouth.

They also sell king crab legs, but it will set you back around $25/pound. Boiling Crab's pricing is all based on current market prices and king crab is pricey everywhere this year. Clams, whole lobsters, and a few varieties of whole crabs are sold as well.

I generally stick to shrimp and king crab (when it's down around $15/pound). I'm Asian and all the other items just don't have a very good weight:meat ratio. I'll make an exception for crawfish when it's live.

How much to order? I usually order a catfish basket for every 3-4 people. As for the boiled stuff, I either let each person order their own stuff or I'm ordering for the whole table, I'll order 1lb of shrimp for each person plus a little of the other stuff so people aren't spending the whole time just eating shrimp.

My order for a table of four would be: 1 catfish basket (maybe two if everyone loves it), 1 dozen oysters, 4 pounds shrimp whole sha'bang medium spicy, 1 pound crawfish whole sha'bang medium spicy, 2 pounds king crab whole sha'bang medium spicy, 4 pieces of corn, and drinks.

Few tips: Yes, you squirt the ketchup for fries directly onto the wax paper-covered table. No, there are no utensils, hence the large napkin dispenser. The bib may seem dumb, but it'll save your clothes from flying corn juices from your table neighbor's corn. Order beer or soda. Water is $0.25 and very unsatisfying to drink while eating Boiling Crab. Take a picture of your table after you are all done.

[edit]
    I can't believe I just wrote all that about Boiling Crab. Please don't think I'm some Boiling Crab fanatic. I do eat there every 2-3 months, but I have also tried many of their competitors in Southern California, Northern California, and Vegas. None have ever stacked up.
    [/edit]

4. vegasbound

vegasbound Moderator

We finally tried Hot 'n' Juicy last night. We went to the newer location, which is also closer to the strip (Spring Mtn/Valley View vs. Decatur), and slightly less crowded. We were treating my husband's cousin to her birthday dinner. It was her pick, she's been before and enjoys it. She ordered a pound of snow crab (hot & spicy, mild) Dungeness crab is seasonal, supposedly it was in season, but they were out, so we got a pound of snow crab + corn (garlic butter, extra spicy) and crawfish (hot & juicy special, extra spicy). It was my first time eating crawfish whole, I love the tails, but it's so not worth the work or price. $9.99/lb and not even 1/4lb was edible. The snow crab wasn't meaty at all. It made us long for San Francisco. We also got cajun and sweet potato fries. I usually love sweet potato fries but I didn't think these were very good. I found them limp, bland and overpriced at $4.25. We did like the cajun fries they were the spiciest thing we ate. We asked for extra spicy and it wasn't spicy at all. Service was bad. It was a bad beat. $70 later, my husband and I were still hungry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went last summer, and was disappointed. Crawfish are a lot of work for not a lot of food. Like eating a pomegranate. And I didn't feel like I got a good value.

They didn't have any extra large t-shirts, and I went back last February just to get a shirt for my buddy, and neither location had extra large t-shirts. That tells me something about their management.

Try the Boiling Crab. I've never heard of it, but I don't think it would be any worse than Hot N' Juicy.

6. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

As a crawfish and pomegranate aficionado, love the analogy. Never thought of it, but it is so true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.