1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Horse Betting

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by Bgoll279, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bgoll279

Bgoll279 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can someone tell me how betting tickets are paid?

If I make a bet when the current odds are for example 5 to 1, but the final odds when the race is run go off at say 3 to 1, which odds are paid to me?

Someone told me that everyone is paid based on final odds, but that seems to diminish any value of being better than the crowd when placing your bet. Neither of us has experience with it, but I know I can get the correct answer on VMB.

2. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why do you doubt that someone? He/she told you correctly.

There is a knowledgeable person that sets the starting odds called the morning line. These odds then change based on the public's betting. Sometimes what you think is a +EV bet turns into a -EV bet at post time and vice versa. If you watch horse racing, you'll see the payouts based on a $2 bet For example: $5.40 to win, $3.80 to place and $2.40 to show. Those are the payouts for everyone no matter what the odds where when you placed your bet. Every bet made changes the odds and payouts by at least some fraction of a penny.

4. pd54

pd54 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's better in the UK & Ireland. When betting online you get the price from when you take the bet and if the starting price is better you get that instead!

PS Does anyone know if you can bet on the UK&Ireland horse racing in Vegas?

5. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am sure you can, you can do it here in Illinois and with the online racing sites like xpressbet. But online is is pari-mutual as well I believe.

I hit a 1200 trifecta in Australia once. I boxed 3 horses for $1, went to sleep, woke up to check the account...boom!

Downtown - Wanker Returns after baby!
    Wanker Returns After Baby
  6. wisconsin terp

wisconsin terp Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never seen English or Irish horse betting in Vegas. Maybe a race or two from Ascot but nothing regularly in any of the books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.