1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hoover Dam

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Motorcat, Dec 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motorcat

Motorcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    New to the board but not Vegas ............. this Feb will be our 7th Vegas trip - we like the MGM properties.

Anyway, one thing on our to do list has been to do a Hoover Dam tour but it never seems to happen. This time we are making it a point to get it done.

I've seen trips offered in some of the hotels and on the strip. I was wondering if anyone could refer a very good one and/or tell us what to look for in a trip.

Thanks in advance - I look forward to the responses and maybe doing more than just being a lurker here in the future.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you renting a car, or is that why you're looking for a tour?

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  3. Motorcat

Motorcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No car - part of being on vacation to us is not having to drive ANYWHERE.

4. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took the express trip noon to 6pm on my first trip to LV in 1997. I booked through Grey lines. They picked me up at the hotel and brought me to their HQ where we boarded a couple of coaches. We stopped enroute at the Ocean Spray distribution center for a tour. Then on to the dam and the long tour. I only went to get off my feet after several days of trying to see everything (remember your first trip>). I enjoyed the trip very much, contrary to my expectations. It was awesome! It's nice every once in awhile to go or do something not expecting much and getting blown out of you sneakers.

The us was late returning because of people not being back at the required time. people were upset cause many had show tickets so don't plan anything too close to ending time in case of the unexpected. Enjoy!

Jimbo338

5. TomTWI

TomTWI High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We took this same tour and didn't like it at all. The big bus stops at every hotel on the way back to drop everyone off. This takes forever, what should have taken 5 hours took up the entire day. I found out later I could have hired a limo for what we paid for four people. We also have an Ocean Spray plant 20 minutes from my house so that part was a complete waste of time.

I've also rented a car and driven a couple time, it's any easy drive but since you said no driving I would check with a limo company before signing up with a tour.

Added: I just noticed Jimbo said express tour Noon to 6. That's not what we took. Ours left in the morning and we didn't get back until after six.

JMHO

TomTWI

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  6. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the Pink Jeep Tour, its a little more money than the rest. I found it because I asked the concierge' at PH for a tour recommendation. I told him my wife at the time was high maintenance, impatient and of sour disposition, so I needed something she couldnt complaint about. She loved the tour. They pick you up in a custom luxury truck, leather appointed seating, only seats 10, climate control, its nice! The guide was excellent, took us through Boulder and laid out the history of the town, great time.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We considered a tour, but instead I rented a car for one day for the four of us. I picked it up at NYNY (Avis) as I was able to use a corporate discount code. We drove through Boulder city on the way over and on our return, we stopped at Boulder Dam Brewing Co. for lunch. We were able to pick up some water, beer and snacks and take my in laws to the airport for their red eye flight.

8. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did that Groupon with Hoover Dam Tour Company back in April. It went well. There were only about 15 of us. I don't believe they stop at every hotel their customers are staying at, they have a few and if you aren't staying at one of them you need to go to one of them. No big deal. We were there and back in about 4 hours.

I did a similar trip with Grayline about 15 years ago and they had that Cranberry World stop. It was awful and a huge waste of time.

But that Groupon tour worked out well for us.

10. Motorcat

Motorcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the groupon recommendations and the heads up on greyline.

Wife loves her some Groupon.............. I'll send her the link and let her make the call.

- more suggestions and advice are still most welcome.

There is a travel booth between Mandalay and Luxor - anyone familiar with them?

11. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver Vegas Guru at Infinity

Trips to Las Vegas:
    a guided limo tour runs 3.5 hours or so. depending how many people helicopter ride is fun too

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.