1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hoover Dam/P. Tillman bridge for the slightly infirm

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Ace-n-Lucille, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Ace-n-Lucille

Ace-n-Lucille Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    (mods: if this is the wrong forum feel free to move. Couldn't figure out the best fit.)

We've planned several hours for a sightseeing jaunt to see the dam and the new bridge. Would love to do the pedestrian walk to/onto the new (and beautiful!) bypass bridge, along with strolling the dam and visiting the exhibits (we won't be doing the formal tours).

But while we're not ready for scooters yet, we do need to conserve our walking. Ace CAN do stairs, but the venue would probably close before he got up or down them. :) And if my knee goes out, I'm not in any better shape than he is.

So. How long a walk is the trail to the Tillman bypass pedestrian walkway along the bridge? And looking at the maps, it seems that we'd be better off paying for the parking garage on the NV side of the dam, to minimize the walking involved for our strolling/sightseeing. Yes? No?

Thoughts? Thanks for your help.....

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  2. mescalita

mescalita Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The free parking lot is on your right side as you drive down toward the dam. It's not a real long walk, but I wouldn't try it in the heat of the day. You don't need to navigate stairs, there is a walkway/ramp all the way up to the bridge access. The view of the dam and canyon is definitely worth the trip. Have fun!

3. zignerlv

zignerlv Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Much of the walk to the bridge as I remember, is at a decent incline. I would expect that people not in the best of health would at the very least get out of breath on the climb, if not finding it too much to handle. It was years ago when I went, but I think I remember some seniors taking breaks on the walk up.

4. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did the bridge last December on a cool day. I don't think its something I would want to do in the heat. It's a pretty decent incline up a winding ramp. Once you are there you have to do a little jaunt to get out to the middle of the bridge for the view.

That parking lot is free and then you head down to the other Parking Garage which is a small fee to use. You have to go down a few flights of stairs but then you are right there at the dam.

3rd Aria Stay Coming Up
  5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the cost to park in the parking garage is about $7 if not more. I forget already since I just saw it when I was driving to the free lot. Most of us just park in the free lot area across the dam (on the az side). You can drop off your SO on the dam if he has mobility problems and you can park in the free lot and walk down to meet him.

As for the tillman bridge, there is a parking lot on the road to the dam where you can park and walk up to the bridge. For people with mobility issues there is a winding walkway to get up to the bridge but for others there is a stairway next to the walkway if you want to get up faster. The walkway could be a pain if you have mobility issues and I don't think there is any way on the highway to stop near the bridge for the handicapped, too dangerous to stop on the highway.

6. Ace-n-Lucille

Ace-n-Lucille Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the responses.....