1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hoover Dam BLM tours -- which one?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by MisplacedTexan, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, so I'm ashamed to admit that in all our trips to Vegas (and even to Boulder City), we've never toured the Dam. This confession is usually met by gasps and head shaking by fellow Vegas travelers and I'm thinking of rectifying the situation next month.

So anyway, I'm looking at the BLM website and there are two tours -- a half-hour Powerplant tour for $15 or a one-hour Dam Tour for $30. Seems like if we're going to do it, we should do the whole enchilada, but I can't really find anybody recommending one over the other.

I suspect I'll be fascinated by the whole thing and my wife will tolerate it. I figure if she hates it, it's just one hour of her life she won't get back.

Anybody have recommendations over one tour over the other?

2. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. TomTWI

TomTWI High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've taken the damn dam tour several times. I would take the longest tour offered. IMHO it's fascinating and well worth it. Prior to 9/11 they had much longer tours, loved them too.

TomTWI

4. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes the longer tour is worth it. The tour buses that go to the Dam include only the shorter tour since the longer tour can't be purchased in advance.

Tom's right, I was at the dam pre and post 9/11 and they had changed it up but it's still fun.

5. wagnerbd

wagnerbd Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Full tour is worth it- some pretty cool views out of a ventilation shaft, and other pretty cool things/stories. The power plant only tour feels like you are just being herded as a part of a huge group, where the full tour is a much smaller group.

6. MisplacedTexan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, everybody! The longer tour it is. I told my bride last night and she was less than overjoyed. Then I told her it was just an hour and she perked up a bit. I'm looking forward to getting in that thing!

7. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just remember the longer tour can only be purchased in person when you get there and each tour has a limited number.

8. MisplacedTexan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good tip. Now I know to plan on being there early. Thanks!

9. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definately get there early. When i was thinking about renting a car i looked into these tours. The later in the day the busier they get. I would go for the 1st or 2nd tour of the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.