1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Home network help needed.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a cable modem which is hardwired into a wireless modem. That would have a weak signal on the patio and the far end of the house, so I bought a wireless booster.

All is working fine, except on my desktop, on boot up, it keeps defaulting to the wireless booster modem instead of the hardwire connection that I have to the original wireless modem.

I can't find a setting to change the default to the hardwire modem that is sitting two feet away from the desktop, or does it matter speed-wise? I assumed that having it wired directly to the modem would be faster.

Win 7 and I've looked in the Home Network settings. Do I have to create a new network?

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would think if you have it hardwired , then you should just turn of the wifi on your desktop.

First Trip 2017
  3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never mind! Sometimes I just out think myself. I need to be on the wireless because the other 3 network computers are on that.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  4. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that shouldn't be a problem.

I would figure your wifi and hardwired connection are on the same subnet.

I run both hardwired and wifi on the same network.

5. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This.... I'm assuming that you're either getting a 192.168.0.x or a 192.168.1.x IP address. And, your subnet should be 255.255.255.0
    As long as all the other devices on your network have the same IP/Subnet setup, then you can run a CAT5 or CAT6 cable to your cable modem from your main PC.
    Now if you have your WiFi on a different VLAN, that's another thing. If you don't know what a VLAN is, then you don't. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.