1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Holy cow (pig) price of pork

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know prices are regional, but boneless, pork loin chops are now $3.29# on "sale". Thankfully I have a freezer full that I paid $1.99 #

Christmas
  2. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not long ago hog farmers were seriously giving hogs away. Cost too much to feed.

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
  3. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $3.50 - $3.79 is typical around here and has been for years. We can get a pork loin on sale for $1.99 and they will slice it into chops for free.
    Ribeyes at Wal-Mart have gone up to $11.98#, used to be $8 not long ago.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  4. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Actually, I'm somewhat relieved the prices have gone up a bit. Hog farmers were getting hammered.

5. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't buy pork too often so haven't noticed the difference in price with them. However, I noticed that the price of beef has gone extremely up..

6. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No wonder we've been getting a pig from the guy who leases our farm land every year for the last few years. It is always sent to processing, but one of these days I am going to say I want to keep it as a pet. ;) :evillaugh

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A pig virus is going around which has caused reduced supply. Beef seems to be sky high, but it looks like chicken is still a good deal. Boneless breasts usually on sale for $2 per lb or less and whole birds $.95 per lb. at Aldi.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're the opposite, we never buy beef for home because it's so expensive. We buy pork, chicken and fish. If we want beef, we go out.
    Around here prime rib at some restaurants goes for about a buck an ounce. Our favorite place a 24 oz cut is $27.99, but it comes with veggies, potato, bread and soup or salad. We both order it and take home doggie bags. That is usually good for another 3 meals each.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    Christmas
  9. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Bought a whole chicken at Walmart ( yesterday ) $1.09 a pound.
    If i buy a steak ( once in a great while - too expensive )
    I'll buy it a BJ's - in a 2 pack.
    Don't care for the beef at Shoprite.

10. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

We've always consumed more pork and chicken than beef, but not because of the price differential. OK, a couple beef items we've cut back on because the price spikes simply don't justify to us what you are getting -- flap and skirt. Nutty. Is there some kinda carne asada/fajitas obsession going on??? Then again, maybe we don't do much "steak." We'll get fish when we know it's just in, and not farmed. So we do a lot of salmon, for instance, through the summer. (Oh, and one impact of El Nino coming in, lotta fun offshore stuff is coming in closer.

As someone mentioned, a pork loin roast becomes loin chops. Whole chickens here all the time and if we are looking for something specific, we break the bird down as often as not. For "easy" it's boneless skinless thighs; for out tastes the industry has just white-breaded the hell out of the domestic chicken. We will spend more for heritage product -- Duroc pork -- or natural birds, if the occasion or just our taste buds call for it.

11. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not a big fan of prime rib or pork (unless it's ribs or brisket). I usually eat a lot of chicken breast and fish. The beef cuts I tend to buy are NY Strips and Short Ribs.

$28 for a 24oz prime rib sounds like a good deal, especially if it comes with the sides.

12. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a horrible shopper, I have absolutly no clue what I pay for meat. I just grab whatever looks good.

13. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are lucky.

Best prices I found for ribs here is £5/kg or $8.44/kg or $3.83/lb at today's prices. They are the cheapest I can find and to be honest, I wouldn't buy meat from that retailer.

First trip of 2017.
  14. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just saw two 8 oz. rib eyes in a package for $23.25!!!!

Go by the fresh seafood and check out the price of Salmon!!!

All of the supermarkets in my area have stopped stocking King Crab legs because they are so expensive that no one will buy them.

- - - Updated - - -

I was the same way. Then I retired. I now notice.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.