1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hiking and Camping

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by StormHawk, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormHawk

StormHawk High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm trying to get into better shape and I've been doing more hiking now that I'm around a lot of trails. Where are some good spots for day hikes and some backpack camping? I've done some shorter hikes off of the trailhead below Charleston peak, that's about it. I'm about 5 minutes from Kyle canyon rd and 95, so that direction is ideal. There seems to be a lack of good camping info online. Haven't had much chance to hang out at REI and chat with the employees. Looking for both backpack and good drive-in spots.

Good drives would be appreciated, too. Just got my new Subaru so I'm excited to get off the road a little with it.

2. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Valley of Fire has tons of hiking/walking and a ton of camping spots

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
  3. vegasbound

vegasbound Moderator

I suggest Cold Creek/Wheeler's Pass. It is off-road. After the pass, on the Pahrump side there is camping. Beautiful scenery, wild horses and cooler temps.

At Red Rock you can go up the 4x4 trail, Potato Ridge. It is a loop to Lovell Canyon, but you won't have enough clearance to make it since the trail has been washed out for years. But it's still be fun to cruise up the top. You can do some hiking from there, off the beaten path.

Up near Alamo, there's a lake and camping. Not sure how the hiking is there, though.

Once it's cooler, I'd check out Logandale. It's dry camping. We love off-roading there. But there is some good hiking. It's like Valley of Fire without the fees. Dunes, red rocks, wildlife, petroglyphs, etc.

4. DavidR82

DavidR82 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20150516_104151.jpg If you happen to come to town during any non summer month, I HIGHLY recommend Goldstrike Canyon trail near the Hoover Dam. Its strenuous in that it involves climbing up, over and around boulders of various sizes and the more difficult boulders have ropes to help you up/down. The ending point to the river downstream by the Hoover dam is truly a remarkable sight.

5. Johntoto

Johntoto Newbie

Hoover Dam Trails, LAke Mead, Red Rock or head into CA and go to Big Bear or into Utah and hit up Zion

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How much do you want to drive? I guess the closest areas to Vegas would be Red Rock, Valley of Fire or around the Hoover Dam Rec Area or Lake Mead Rec Area. But the desert has some amazing scenery.

I still want to go back to Cathedral Gorge, about an hour north of 15 on 93, and hike all the way through the gorge. I stopped at the top and bottom of the trail and walked around on both ends, but I'd love to get a drop-off/pick-up and walk through.

St George, UT area has some great hiking too. And then there's Zion & Bryce if you are willing to go a bit farther.

So many options!

7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Years ago Huntington Press (Las Vegas Advisor) published a hiking guide. It's still around though I don't know which edition they're on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.