1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

High airfare got you down

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Bernie2, Dec 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie2

Bernie2 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If, high airfare has you down then look at a SW Visa after spending $2K in 3 months or sometimes 1K you get 50K points for airfare which might be enough for 2 round trips. As usual goo luck.

2. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also churn through credit cards to pay for my airline tickets to Vegas. Free round trip to Vegas is easily worth a hard pull on my credit.

3. naccmet

naccmet Tourist

Honestly, I don't know whether Bernie works for Visa or not (although I doubt it), but the fact that I will have 4-round trip flights (Boston to Vegas) on essentially the 50000 point bonus for getting the Southwest Airlines Credit Card, is a great deal. Lowest airfare at any time is $250-$300 RT, so the 4 trips are worth $1000 to $1200 at worst! Other airline programs use "miles", not "points" and it is 25000 "miles" for the same roundtrip. A 50000 mile bonus would yield 2 roundtrips, while Southwest got me 4 roundtrips. As I say, show me a better deal and I would be very interested. BTW, I only have 2 credit cards, so I am not one who has a wallet full of them and I have been flying to Vegas for over 35 years. Best credit card deal I have ever seen.

4. grosx2

grosx2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a SWA Visa a few years ago and use it for virtually every purchase I make. Usually earn 2-3 roundtrips per year from the points.

5. jenblase

jenblase Low-Roller

So funny, I was just going to post about this when reading the high airfare thread. Great minds think alike!

I got the Southwest RR Visa AND the business Visa (don't need a legit business - if you sell on Ebay for example, that qualifies) back in August. Both earned 50,000 RR points once you completed the minimum spend ($3000 each). By September 1, I had put the min spend on both of the cards and earned the 100,000 points. That, plus the $6000 in spend, gave me 106,000 points. I spent another $4000 (a bit more actually) and got myself up to 110,000 points which then qualified me for the companion pass for the
    remainder of 2013 AND all of 2014. So, those two credit card applications got me $3666 in free travel. It's seriously one of the greatest credit card deals out there.

Since September:
    Earned 113,185 RR points + Companion Pass (my mom is companion for now)
    Took my mom to Vegas in Sept (29220 points total)
    Taking mom to NYC for New Year's Eve (17460 points)
    Used points to fly my cousin home from California for Xmas (19560 points)
    Booked my April flight to Vegas (one way) (10680 points)

And still have 51559 points left!!! (I have earned more along the way) I will be going to New Orleans later in the year which the Southwest schedule is not open for yet, but when I do, I will be adding my mom as my companion again!

I normally like to fly out of O'Hare but for these situations, Midway is not a problem for me. We use the Park Ride and Fly for our car and it usually costs about $40 to leave the car there for as long as our Vegas trips last.

6. Bernie2

Bernie2 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't work for Visa or a bank but do like some of the maketing program(s)they come up with that being said if one is willing to do some research deals can be had.

7. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I do miss the old across the board internet sales at Southwest and the "Ding" sound going off all day long. I guess they've gone the way of the Edsel. I cannot complain too much though, I booked fairly early in sept when they opened up their dates for feb/march. I took a late flight in Monday to save and left earlier than usual on a Tuesday to save be able to take a new bus from the airport to the Capital of NH where I can park free. My airfare was $258......not bad for round trip from the east coast. I doubt that I coul do better but was hoping for perhaps better times, when I could still cat buses to the airport. SWA just added several flights and I think I can get in earlier on Monday morning or early evening for the same price. That will allow me to settle in and get a good night's sleep.

The surprise today was checking Kayak to see that Travelocity dropped their price on the EC for the last week of feb. from $338 to $316. When I plugged in their Promo it was still active and dropped the 7 nights down to $277! I cancelled my reservation for the second time and rebooked at the new rate. I will be at the RIO for the first night. I know prices dropped last year at this time so I'm hoping it may get better but I am pleased with 7 nights in a Tower Room for that. It does pay to keep checking!

Jimbo338

8. LakeMinnetonkaRealtor

LakeMinnetonkaRealtor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't seem to find the offer for 50k bonus miles? The only available offer I can find is for 25k bonus points. Can anyone help?

9. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have to keep checking the web site. On occasion, they will offer the
    50K points to drum up accounts. The rest of the time it is 25k. :hmmm:

10. Patripman

Patripman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What got me down is the fact that SW has eliminated many of the non stop flights to and from Vegas from Pittsburgh. There was always 1 each in the morning, afternoon and night, now there is either zero or 1 mid day. I dont understand the flights are always full so it cannot be lack of travelers plus SW is the only airline flying non stop from Pittsburgh to Vegas. This has really made us drop down to one trip for May and that will be it for the year.

p

11. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few years back, I signed up for the SWA-Visa card, with the free flight bonus points. A year later, my wife got a separate SWA-Visa in her name, and also got the free flight bonus points. The next year, we each did the "recommend a friend" promo, and we each got 5000 RR points.

We use our SWA cards for almost everything, especially any SWA partner company for bonus RR points, and by paying with the SWA card, we also get 2X points for those purchases .... not to mention the yearly anniversary points from the CC.

On our last three car rentals with Alamo, we used a code # to get 2400 RR's on each trip, plus the 2X points on the CC. Every chance I get, I scrounge all the RR points I can find ... such as the "e-Surveys" partner program, and I earn about 7500 RR's per year on those.

Those free flights using RR points are a great savings !!!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.