1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

HI wants me this summer and need help

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Bernie2, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie2

Bernie2 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It has been a number of years (10) since I've been to HI. This time I would like to go to the Big Island for a few days but most of the time would be on Oahu. My friend has never been and would like to see as much as possible looking at Maui for one or two days and maybe Kauai (maybe). It looks like maybe only 10 days so might that be enough ?

Now on to air and/or hotel would I want to look at Vacations HI (Boyd Properties) and any specials on Hawaiian Airlines or use Kayak, Priceline and etc.. If, so would someone let me know when they have specials (air/ hotel). Supposedly HI Air has specials every quarter. My friend feels that July 4 or around then would be a good time or earlier. Thanks

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Too much island hopping for me. For 10 days I prefer one island but we go a couple times a year so we still get around. If splitting, I'd do two islands: BI and Kauai. I'm not a huge fan of Oahu and the crowds, but obviously different strokes, and that sounds like it would be your home base. So BI or Kauai for the second. I'd think twice and then think again about doing a 1-2 day island hop. Too disrupting.

We always fly Alaska so ticket research isn't something we have to worry about. You can easily comparison shop through itasoftware.com to see what the carriers are doing and then go through the usual third-party suspects to rate match. We also rent private a lot in the islands: vrbo.com. Can't help with packages because we never use them.

ANY time on any of the islands certainly beats the usual stuff back on the mainland!! Have fun. I'm setting up our next getaway, likely March for 2-3 weeks.

3. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Surprised that there haven't been more posts to help Bernie out.

Ken is probably one of the most knowledgeable persons on VMB who knows Hawaii so he can probably help you the most.

I think you need to assess what you want to do on each island. Each island is unique and there are different things to see. Some examples:

Big island - If you have time you can hike up to see the lava flows. Awesome especially if you go at dusk/night, you can actually see the glowing red lava flowing. if you go at night, make sure you have a strong flashlight as it is rough walking, you could get injured or fall because the ground is rocky and uneven, very easy to cut yourself on the lava rock. The big island also has black sand beaches, you can drive to the top of mauna kea (or was it mauna loa, I forget) and see the other islands. You can visit cattle ranches, do lots of golfing or even take a helicopter ride around the island. You can also check out waipio valley, an awesome view that you see in commercials.

Maui - you can drive up to the top of Haleakala and watch the sunrise or look into the crater (or even walk in the crater). Going in the crater reminds me of how it would look if I walked on Mars. You can drive out to Hana, seeing waterfalls at every turn (depending on what season you visit). You can drive out to Lahaina/Kapalua and see the sights there, or go whale watching. You can also boat out to Molokini, an atoll that is a fish sanctuary, you can see hundreds of multi colored fish all over, you can either scuba dive or snorkel free dive if you're not certified. Wailea is awesome place to stay at and the golf on Maui is also spectacular. There is also an Ocean center where you can see an aquarium with local sealife.

Lanai or Molokai - Are nice places to stay and relax. Lanai has some of the best resorts (Manele Bay and Koele) and golf courses in Hawaii. Bill Gates closed down the island of Lanai when he got married. Molokai is a small island and is a throwback to the old Hawaii. Nice but more of a place to just hang out.

Kauai - Has some nice scenery. Waimea canyon is like the Grand Canyon of the pacific. Lots of awesome views or you can hike or kayak the area. Kalalau valley is how the islands used to look like before humans came. There isn't as many activities as the other islands but Kauai is also a nice place to just hang out or golf.

Oahu is the main island with many things to do. Eat at a luau, or drive north to see the big waves during the winter, or visit the polynesian cultural center to see people from many pacific islands. stay in waikiki and be a tourist, or drive to hanauma bay and see another fish sanctuary where you can snorkel and see lots of fish. Hanauma also has a place we call "toilet bowl", an area where the sea water goes up and down with the ebb and flow. Going into the bowl is like the flushing of a toilet, water goes up and down with you in it. Visit Pearl Harbor, the Arizona memorial and the Battleship Missouri or go up to Punchbowl cemetary and pay your respects to our soldiers who passed away. As with the other islands, there are many golf courses to play at. Obama is in Hawaii now (he is originally from Hawaii) having fun golfing almost every day.

I think it all depends on what you want to see and get out of your visit. I would hit Oahu and the Big island for sure, Kauai or Lanai if you want to just cruise and relax. I'm from Maui but lately the island is more "touristy" so I go elsewhere to vacation (vegas!) but the tourists seem to flock to Maui.

Hawaiian airlines drops their prices every so often (quarter?) so you need to watch their web site regularly as the specials don't last very long, usually only a few days to a week or so. Don't procrastinate, if you see some good prices (for sure book if r/t are under $600) then book them quickly as some may not be around for very long, sometimes even gone the next day or that day. Current prices for hawaii to vegas are in the $700's or higher.

Allegiant also flies into Hawaii but they have a bad reputation of being delayed or even cancelled flights but their rates are also low (though you get nickeled and dimed for everything, even seats).

You might be able to fly on Omni through vacation hawaii to/from vegas but it depends on seat availability.

for information on each island, google "this week in ....." (oahu, maui, kauai or big island). Like vegas they have a small magazine which lists information on the island, provides maps too and also has advertisements for tours, helicopter or boat rides, luaus, etc.

As with vegas you can use sites like kayak (thrifty, carrentals, etc.) to find hotel rates or car rates or even flights.

I think you need to just google and find out what interests you and your friend, then come back if you need more information or have questions on the islands. I really can't help you much with Hawaii hotels, you may want to use tripadvisor to check out how the hotels are.

Good luck with your search! :wave:

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Thanks, makiki, but kinda hard to beat out a local. I'm also surprised more folks haven't chimed in.

I'd like to get the OPs thoughts on likes, wants and all that, and then maybe we can really help. Also be helpful to know his departure airport/area.

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bernie, I forgot to mention, if you sign up for the Hawaiian airlines business mastercard they give you 35k miles for your first purchase and a one time 50% off a companion discount between Hawaii and North America. Annual fee is $89 but you can always cancel before the end of the first year.

btw, hawaiian announced some fare specials for travel between now and the end of March (may?) so you may want to check them out if you know your travel dates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.