1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hello VMB!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by mab3376, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mab3376

mab3376 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Greetings all:

Moved to SoCal nearly 20 years ago and it was back then that I got my first real introduction to Las Vegas. I say real because I had visited just once previously, sometime around 1980 when I was 20 years old -- I peg it to then because I remember the MGM Grand had just recently suffered a catastrophic fire.

Back then I was visiting an aunt and uncle who'd moved from Brooklyn for their retirement, and a cousin like an older brother to me who was clerking for a judge in town.

I learned little on that trip, except how much I didn't know about gambling (splitting 10s at $3 blackjack at the Boardwalk and my uncle looking at me like I was crazy -- and no I wasn't counting cards back then, not yet anyway) and that you could get a Monte Cristo sandwich the size of a Buick for five bucks.

But I didn't return for 15 years, not until I finished a work tryout in LA and was planning to head back east when a couple friends and their wives called to say they'd be in Vegas, so why didn't I meet them there on my way back to NYC?

Sure...why not? So I met them at the Mirage in the summer of 1995 and it was love at first sight. Even now I can smell the coconut scent Mr. Wynn used to pump through the air, and just reminiscing makes the hair on the back of my neck (what little there is left anyway) stand right on end.

And shortly after I moved to LA for good a few months later (and courtesy of some early luck), I lost my mind for good. Since then I've stayed, gambled and partied up and down the Strip, in the off-strip properties aimed at the LA party crowd, and in locals places as well.

Through winning and losing I've never had a bad time, and although i don't get there as frequently as I did when i was younger I can tell you I love the town as much as ever. I'll be returning post-tax day.

Anyhow, that's my short story -- or, my story made very short.

Thanks for having me.

2. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the board. Nice story....enjoy hearing about people's experiences discovering our fav city!!

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome, welcome!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.