1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Have YOU ever brought a lighter (zippo) on an airplane to vegas?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by streetshine, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. streetshine

streetshine Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,

From what I have found on the web it seems that you can bring one, filled lighter on a plane as long as its on your person or in your carry on. (that's not a torch lighter)

My question is have you ever done it? Have been hassled? Has it been taken?

I have a zippo that I'm very attached to that needs some vegas action.. BUT the last thing I need is to have some half wit TSA agent take it!

:beer:

2. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, you can take your Zippo with you on the plane. There was a ban in the past, but they lifted that a couple of years ago.

The thing is: the rules now say it is perfectly OK... but doesn't matter if I have done it, somebody else has done it or even if you've taken it on flights a few times: there are some TSA agents that just seem to love being as##oles and lording their power over people.

But that said, I would take the lighter.

4. eloisegirl

eloisegirl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing worse than having your brand new lighter taken away. I had my Swiss Army knife taken away (the supertiny one, with a 1.5" blade and toothpick) and I cried like a baby. Always thought they should offer mailing packs at security so you could at least send your stuff home.

5. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is exactly it...TSA rules are enforced somewhat randomly...what's okay in one airport might get you stopped in another. I carried a zippo back on leave from Iraq...flying in uniform. I made it through security in Kuwait and arrived back in Dallas. The TSA in Dallas made me give up the lighter there at security. They didn't appreciate me pointing out the irony.

6. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Zippo fluid lighters are supposed to be considered "common lighters" and are supposed to be allowed in carry-ons (but if you have one in your checked luggage, it's supposed to be in an approved case, like Beeejay said - that's because if it catches fire in the cabin, you'll know about it, but in the cargo hold, you won't).

Once they lifted the ban on common lighters, I've never had a problem with Bics or Zippos; I always have at least one Bic and a pack of matches in a carry-on tote bag, and a Zippo in my jacket, both of which go through the x-ray machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.