1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Have to share a room for work! Which one?

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by savage810, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are ritzy joints, but bear in mind that these rooms are available for a lower rate than a Holiday Inn in most major cities. Corporate rates for no frills rooms in major cities have really crept up in the last few years.

Nick:beer:

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what I was thinking! I'm not sure if there is any official regulation on this, but I know many companies have a policy that requires separate rooms. The company I work for has required this as long as I've worked for them, even for same-gender co-workers. You may want to check into this.

3. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes the bean counters win. No one in mgmt wants to share a room either but sometimes it's the only way to keep costs down. 10,000 employees is a lot. Price between 5000 and 10000 rooms at $200/night is a kool million that they'd save. I'm sure someone decided if that's what it takes to have these meetings in Vegas, everyone will have to bunk up.

I'm at MBay for meetings soon but staying at Delano. Only one per room but I'm glad Delano is a favorite. Know that's partly due to the OP's question of having 2 per room and Delano has extra space but should be even more room with one!

4. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in a Fortune-ranked company and pairing to a room is normal procedure for bigger events, unless you are a manager or above. Smaller venue events or individual travel isn't a big deal and usually allows for individual rooms.

10,000 employees, while you would THINK gives the company alot of buying power, it is actually so big that the hotels/third-party travel agent (Carlson Wagonlit/Concur, etc.) know that since the company needs 10k people worth of rooms, it isn't necessarily easy to find and block....thus prices are pretty inflated within their analytics/pricing tools. Bean counters have heart palpitations with events like this.

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just asked one of our resident "Travel Counselors" down the hall.

There are no regulations on this, but company policy that discourages (does not totally disallow) "double-bunking" unless there are such things as the travelers requesting it. Things such as potential liability and the like.

One perq we get is that we can use the Travel office for personal trips. They use a handful of "aggregators" for much of the hotel business and when I've checked with them, their rates ("Best Corporate Ratte") are often but not always better than what I can get. Chicago and Manhattan are the best examples I recall. Strangely, when I stay in the Long Island City area, just outside of Manhattan, I can usually get better rates than they can.

One bit of trivia is that corporate travel is now the major employer of certified travel agents. On-line services have made many TA jobs scarce in recent years.

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe, maybe not. Isn't it related to expense and income?

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A good bit of interesting speculation and sharing here, but the bottom line is the OP's company's policies. Unless the OP plans to spring for a room, the tactic of targeting a hotel with a larger and more amenitizied -- separate living area, second crapper -- standard offering and nearer the business site seems the best combo. Or at least that is what I recommend based on my needs and tastes. I just happen to think that you get to a certain age and income level and you don't share a sleeping space or a bathroom with even a member of your usual gang, let alone a workmate who might effectively be a stranger.

8. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah! Last year, a co-worker (in another department) asked if I was attending a professional conference because she wanted to share a room. I quickly told her my husband was attending the conference with me (it was Portland) and I wouldn't be able to share. But if it comes up again, I will find a diplomatic way to say "hell, no, my business trip hotel room time is MY OWN".

For those who "don't know" the Delano - it's the former THEHotel that is part of/connected to yet somehow separate from Mandalay Bay. Whatever reno turned it into Delano, presumably the basic room structure is the same - and my husband and I loved it! The extra half bath in a true suite (eg separate rooms with a door that works in between, unlike the "suites" at Venetian) worked nicely for us. Not sure I'd enjoy being the person who had to sleep on that couch, but nice for people with different bedtime/wake times.

9. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Delano is exactly as Hoya presumed: The renovation did not move or realign walls. We've stayed at Delano 3x since the Reno, and it still offers true suites - full size door and floor to ceiling walls.

10. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It really isn't much different than your deduction for mortgage interest, you don't get a 100% reduction of your tax for the interest you pay and this is no different.

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guess my CPA has a different take on it. No worries.

12. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1
    I might even go as far as booking my own room at the castle or Circus instead of room sharing.
    My wife worked for two large pharma companies where room sharing was standard at all meetings.
    She would always pay an upcharge for a separate room.

13. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh I'm not worried at all. I have been a CPA for over 20 years.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  14. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I first got a professional (grown up) job and had to travel, we would have to share rooms. Then, apparently, one associate made a pass at another associate in their shared hotel room. After that, we always got separate rooms. It's a lot cheaper than a law suit.

15. savage810

savage810 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man, this took a long time to come together, but I just booked my room at the Venetian. Apparently my group doesn't have to share rooms!

WOOHOOO!

:beer:

16. MTROH

MTROH Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I worked for a nasty insurance company that would force complete strangers to share rooms in Chicago. Never again, I celebrated when I was terminated with 3000 other employees involve in a merger.

I would spend the money for another room than risk a nasty experience.

17. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the guys at a previous company wore a toupee. Sometimes the company would put 3-4 together in a condo for a trade show, guess who was the first one up and out in the morning?

18. RM777

RM777 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was one of many scenarios that popped into my head when I started reading this thread.

19. RM777

RM777 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am actually relieved for you hahahahahaha

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.