1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mdee, Jul 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in Orlando and I love Universal Studios. I haven't been to Universal since the grand opening of the new Diagon Alley attraction because of the crowds.
    The attraction is located where Jaws used to be and I've kept a close eye on the construction since they started. The other night I watched a show on TV of
    the making of the new attraction and it looks amazing! Or as you Brits would say... BRILLIANT!

This weekend all 8 movies aired on regular TV and I DVR'd all of them. I'm halfway through the 2nd one. Up until now I had never seen a Harry Potter movie.
    I'm a 58 year old man and now I'm hooked! I've become a total Potter-Head Muggle! I can't wait to see the new attraction when the kids go back to school.

2. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    good luck with Universal!! after the first bit opened we waited a year to go - and it was still mobbed. Might be worth booking a night at one of the onsite hotels - that way you get the day you arrive and the day after as an onsite guest and can get in an hour earlier... that's two early starts!! looks like fun though.

3. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We went to Universal last year. I love Harry Potter too (51 year old woman :)), but not enough to wait in line for 2 hours to be able to see the attractions.

The TV versions of these movies are SO cut up, it's pathetic. And if you really enjoyed Harry Potter, the books are really worth reading. If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can get all the Harry Potter kindle books from the Library.

4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    (if your public library belongs to a consortium for ebooks, Harry Potter books are usually available there too)

I love Harry Potter. Read all the books, own all the movies etc. We go to Orlando every few years for a trade show my husband exhibits at - we missed the opening of the original Harry Potter world by about 4 months, so we went this year (Feb 2014) We stayed at Hard Rock, got in early, and had the express pass wristbands because we stayed onsite. It was worth it!!! Of course, we missed the opening of Diagon Alley but saw the construction (they had holes in the barricades to you could "sneak peek")

Can't wait for the next trade show in Orlando so we can go!! (we've always preferred Universal to Disney, and this is just another couple reasons why....)

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will probably wait at least a year for the crowd to thin down. While the kids are in school there are throngs of tourists from the US and other countries that will continue to keep the lines long. The place just opened so I think this whole year might be busy.

Of course you could always go to England and visit the Warner Brothers Harry Potter studio (outside of London, but easy to take the trains to the place). No rides but a lot of neat stuff to see, can even buy butter beer. One thing I noticed was the prices, you can buy wands (robes, etc.) but they went for 45 or 50 pounds (close to $70 US) so probably much more expensive in the US. It was neat though, they had wands for just about all the major characters. I visited the place last year (end of May), it was great because I could book a reservation on the net so I didn't have to wait in the long lines to buy tickets (there were still lines to get in but only about a 15 minute wait). I got there about 25 minutes early and they let me in early so I could breeze through the thing. They had those audio things but I just skipped it and walked through myself, still took me an hour and a half to 2 hours to do the whole thing. They even had real owls and cats, etc. as characters that you can take pictures with.

I used my first day as a rest day in London (from the US) to get over jet lag so I cruised London and visited the HP studio in the late afternoon. Lucky because I could only get a 5 pm reservation on the net, all the earlier times were taken. (I booked about 3 weeks before my trip, the place closed at 9pm I think). I didn't get to visit Kings Cross Station, trains to the HP studio went through Euston station a few blocks away. Too bad, I should have visited the station since it wasn't far away but it was late and I wanted to get back to my hotel before the sun went down.

6. weluvvegas

weluvvegas Vegas Slot Junkie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find it was really smart of US to put that attraction at the Universal Studios park after having the original attraction at the Islands of Adventure park. This forces people who want to visit both - to buy 2-park tickets. See what they did there?

We've been to the Wizarding World at IOA and it was great. Well worth it. I'm a 37 year old Potter-head who waited 13 hours in line for the midnight showing of the last movie in the July Texas heat dressed like Bellatrix Lestrange. So, I totally get that people would wait 8 hours in line for the ride.

We all are a little nuts in some ways right? :thumbsup:

40th Birthday Bash!
  7. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have annual passes to both parks so it will be cool to (one day) ride the train from Diagon Alley (Universal Studios) to Hogsmeade (Islands of Adventure)
    So far I've watched 6 of the 8 movies. I will start on Deathly Hallows Pt.01 tonight. Admittedly I'm getting a little "Pottered out" haha! But I've enjoyed the series.

8. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been a huge Harry Potter nerd since I was in the 6th grade. I think the fourth book came out the summer between my 6th and 7th grades.

As for the movies, if you haven't read the books, once you get to movies 5 and 6 I assume they'll be incredibly hard to follow plot-wise. They skim over some really important stuff.

For example, in the 7th movie Harry has a broken shard of mirror that was given to him in the 5th book but was not in the 5th movie for some reason.

9. emmas

emmas Low-Roller

mdee, hopefully the movies inspire you to read the books. They tell such a more complete story than the movies. I hope you enjoy Diagon Alley.

10. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not much of a book reader. But I can read the hell out of an owners manual!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.