1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Harrah's & lots of shows 7/11-7/16

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by GottaLuvCruising, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

We flew Delta non-stop from Orlando Thursday evening. We picked up our Avis rental car and checked in at Harrah's (valet parking always).

Our room with 2 queens was WAY down the hall in the Carnaval tower. Beds were very comfortable, loved the angled window (not so much the view of valet). Even though this is one of the older rooms, it (including bathroom) was in great shape. Can't say the same of the hallway carpet, but since 3 of our 5 nights were comped, it was fine. I would have preferred housekeeping earlier in the day as room usually wasn't serviced until 4pm. We had one maintenance issue (with the toilet) that was resolved promptly. On our 3rd evening, a wheeled cart with a refrigerator showed up in the room - no idea why - it sat there for the next 2 days. No problem.

I like Harrah's pool as it is great for morning laps, but do wish it opened earlier. Only one time were we challenged by trying to find a chaise. Drink prices were too high at the pool so we didn't bother with them.

Played my slots every morning. As long as I followed my self-imposed guidelines (secret!), I did really well and came out significantly ahead 3 out of 4 days. I love early mornings at the resort because everything is all mine.

Every evening and some afternoons, we filled with shows. Human Nature - my #1 all time favorite - now at the Venetian, was awesome for the 8th & 9th times. Vegas! The Show @ Planet Hollywood was even better the 2nd time around. We all absolutely loved Million Dollar Quartet @ Harrah's. Jubilee @ Bally's was disappointing (great sets & costumes, good music, not enough dancing and hated the time-filler acts). Defending the Caveman was OK, somewhat funny and some good points, but not what we expected. We enjoyed Jeff Civillico @ The Quad but based on reviews, it didn't quite meet our expectations. Jeff was adorable and his show was entertaining, but silly. The show opener did a great job getting audience engaged and excited, but should have been just 5 - 10 minutes (was too long).

Our best afternoon EVER in Las Vegas was spent on Maverick Airlines with their Soaring Eagle flight over the Grand Canyon. This was a first class experience that just made us want more. We flew in their "caravan" with leather seats and large windows. Our pilot was entertaining and informative, not to mention (highly irrelevant) very cute.

I had purchased too many Flavors Groupons and we were sick to death of the repetitive buffet. We really did enjoy (another Groupon) Kahunaville @ Treasure Island. Most breakfasts were at McDonalds, so dining mostly was just to get something to eat.

Our return flight was Southwest and I am totally over them. I had paid $12.50 each for EBCI and we go great boarding passes. But those stinkers were actually selling better positions at the gate for $8. How dare they? We got aisle seats across from each other and made it home without throttling the unaccompanied minors sitting forward of us. (Flight attendant did apologize to the passengers sitting in their vicinity). Upon arrival in Orlando, we waited 50 minutes for our luggage. The list of reasons I hate Southwest just continues to grow, but because they offer non-stops, I may end up booking them to / from Las Vegas again in October.

We had a great time!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    President's Week School Vacation in Las Vegas
  2. Mayoman

Mayoman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a good trip. I agree with the Defending the Caveman show, definately not what I expected.

3. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Liked your trip report, you stay and eat like we do. For a better pass they charged me $40 and everything I have read has said $40...someone on your flight got a bargain.

4. Mitkraft

Mitkraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the concise report! I have two question:

What seating to you recomment for Million Dollar Quarted? I'm very interested in seeing this on our next trip and was looking at seating and its kinda funky. There is theater seating up front and then table and booth seating everywhere it looks like. I'm thinking a booth seat would be great if we had the two seats that face forward. It looks like all of the table seating has the tables arranged in such a way that unless you are on the end of the table nearest the stage you will be looking into the head of the person beside you. Can you shet any light on the seating situation and maybe the best seats? I was thinking about going for one of the booths closest to the front and getting the two seats on the inside of the booth (as opposed to the seat on either end.

And what the heck is the deal with southwest selling boarding positions at the gate? I've never heard of that. I'm a big fan of southwest and I'm ok with all the EB, business class etc. boarding positions, but if they chip away at that even further by selling boarding positions at the gate or counter I'm going to have a hard time remaining a fan. I'd like to know more. Thanks!

5. Smokedegecko

Smokedegecko Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report. I agree with the earlier opening wish on the pool. Heck, it would get us out on the floor quicker right? :)

6. GottaLuvCruising

Trips to Las Vegas:

I was also concerned about the seating at Million Dollar Quartet. We booked 3 seats in booth KK, looking for a nice overall view, but not right on top of the stage. They assigned another person to seat #4. This just felt too close for me. I loved this booth location, but next time I'll pay for 4 seats just to have more space. In front of us was orchestra seating, but they would be looking up (slightly) toward the stage whereas we sat a little higher and looked directly at it. Be advised that while you may be able to book the booth center seats, get there early or ask your usher to make sure you have the seats you picked. I once got into it with a guy who wanted my assigned seat. I really didn't notice the seats behind us, but did like our booth.

For some time, Southwest has been offering the BS positions at the gate for $40 each. What got me riled it that I booked EBCI many month ago at $12, but the airline apparently saved out slots in the 16 - 17 - etc range to sell @ $8. Positions IN FRONT of ours after we accepted the EBCI offer! This is low...this is very low...

7. GottaLuvCruising

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a good argument to present! I'll use your angle on Facebook and see what kind of response I get!

8. GottaLuvCruising

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They offered $40 for the 1-15 positions and $8 for 16 - 17. Basically when they sold me EBCI, they saved slots (16+) to sell at the gate for less and let those folks board ahead of me. Southwest needs to offer seat assignments since they have completely abandoned their own legacy anyway.

9. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the reasons we have stuck with SW is because they are the only ones doing direct flight out of Orlando with the times that we like.

A few years back you had many options but not any more unfortunately.

10. GottaLuvCruising

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot to mention that we also saw Jeff Civillico @ The Quad. The opening act was high energy, but went on too long. Jeff's show was cute and mostly entertaining, but I certainly wouldn't rate it as high as some have (too silly for my taste). It was appropriate for the whole family and we enjoyed seeing two of our guys from Human Nature there with their children!

11. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW offered it on my legs on my last trip for the first 16 positions also but only at the $40 per leg rate. They got a couple of takers from the C class but since I was in A group I didn't really care.

12. pointpersn

pointpersn Newbie

Did you have any problems with the air conditioning while you were there?? We are staying there the end of August and at times have not been able to cool the room enough for this hot woman.

13. GottaLuvCruising

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer the temp a little lower than most, also. I had no problem with the A/C control and it stayed pretty consistent.

14. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever "The Welfare Queen of Windsor"

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL at your (secret!) self-imposed guidelines!

Did you experience any air sickness going over the Grand Canyon?
    (That is what always worries me)

15. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have similar taste in shows, Human Nature is one of my favourites....haven't seen them at The Venetian yet though so will have to make a point of doing that. I really enjoyed Million Dollar Quartet on my last visit and would see it again. Is the A/C still on a motion sensor at Harrahs?

16. codingkw

codingkw Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer air tran over southwest because of the seating issue. I have long legs and need to pick my seat. Not to mention that from BWI they are usually cheaper.

Time to get married and have fun
  17. GottaLuvCruising

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't have any issues with a/c at Harrah's so I doubt it's on a sensor (because I prefer it cool), but can't be sure.

Seeing Human Nature for the 10th time in October. The venue at Venetian is far superior to Imperial Palace and the guys certainly earned it. I worry when I see their tickets discounted as I hope they do really well at the Venetian. FYI - they announced their first Christmas album and I hope to buy it and get it autographed on our next visit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.