1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Happy mother's day chat

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Packer, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all the mom's on this site. Enjoy your kids and have an awesome day!
    Starting this thread so we all can say a kind word or two about our mom's.
    For me, I wish she was here but I know she is watching over me and my little boy. My mom was a jovial, kind, loving wonderful parent who was the matriarch of our big family. She passed away in 2001 and is missed by many to this day. I love you....
    Happy Mother's day Mom!

2. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good thread!

My mom has mainly been a single mom most of her life and has always put her kids above herself. I admire her for everything and I will be able to help her retire soon, I hope. She deserves to have a little bit of an early retirement without the daily struggles.

I just finished talking to her and wish I could be home to celebrate with her and my grandmother.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I blame my parents for getting me started on Vegas. I was so jealous of their trip to the then brand new Mirage they took me to the brand new MGM Grand. Happy Mother's Day.

[​IMG]

4. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

I'm a younger guy, so my mom is still around. I lost my Dad last year at an early age. That was and still is the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with. Even though my parents divorced several years ago, my mom was still heartbroken when she heard the news. And even though it was hard on her, she was a rock for me. She's been there for me through it all. When I was a kid and she was single she worked multiple jobs making no more than $10 an hour just to support me and my sisters. Now that I am able to I like to treat her to some of the nicer things in life. It's amazing to see her experience some thing for the first time, like staying in a five star hotel. I always try to makes mother's day extra special for her and encourage everyone to do the same for their mothers.

5. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://laughingcolours.com/10-things-your-mom-never-told-you-9413.html

My mom just turned 83 and lives with me. She is very frail and ill, has worsening dementia - she is just a shell of the woman that raised me. But she sacrificed everything for me. Stayed married to my Dad when she was miserable - until I was on my own. He wouldn't let her drive or get a driver license and she snuck away when he was on a business trip and took driver's ed when she was about 44 years old - she had never drove until then - I was a still in high school. We never had much money but my mother never let my sister or I feel poor. She worked in a hat department of Rhode's Store when I was young to send my sister and I to a private elementary school. One year they didn't have enough money for new Easter dresses for me and my sister. My mom cut apart her old wedding dress and made my sister and I matching dresses.

Her mind is failing and she has been in and out of the nursing home the last two years. Sometimes I feel so stressed in caring for her - that I lose sight of what she sacrificed for me. I worked last night got off at 7 am and it takes until 9 am to get her ready in the morning. Went to sleep for 3 hours and then got up and fixed everyone hamburgers. It was me my husband, my mom and my sister. I had to rearrange her room and make it safer this week. I had to put a bedside commode in her room and last week we had to put double cylinder dead bolts on the doors. She got up at 3 am and opened the front door and back door and then sat down in a chair -- I did not discover it until after 6 am. -- Scared the bejeebies out of me.

Today I have been watching golf -- yuck golf - I hate golf -- sorry guys. I discovered that I may like this Fowler guy and now I am watching the Basketball playoffs - yuck again -- It is just my opinion that there are no good looking men in basketball -- Football and baseball - now that is another story. Obviously my mother loves golf and basketball - Phil Micklesson ?? is that his name - and Sergio Garcia - she can't stand Tiger. And her favorite team - the Spurs are out - so now we are watching the Clippers and Rockets.

I feel our roles are reversed now and I am more of the mother and she the child -- and she acts like one frequently. I do all I can but I can never repay her for the things she has already done for me.

36th Wedding Anniversary
  6. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just lost my grandfather (my last living grandparent) two months ago who dealt with dementia. Towards the end like you mentioned was just a shell of himself. Just do what you can to make them comfortable until it's time. He could remember 20 and 30 years ago but not 2 days ago. Just chat, hang out, have coffee or whatever. When visiting him I also enjoyed chatting with some of the other random residents at the nursing home, because who knows if some of these people have anyone that ever visits. Even if it was just a hello...how are you today?

7. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mother passed away 20 years ago. There's so many things I wish I could share with her. I also have regrets, not being as attentive as I wished I could have. But she knew I loved her and did spend a lot of tim with her. I think it's easy to have regrets. Before she died, we knew how long she had, she went to live upstate with my sister. I pretty much knew that she would not come home but would next go to a hospice. I told her I would really miss her and she said that was a very nice thing to hear. Maybe that doesn't sound very emotional but it was a very deep moment with her living her home knowing she would never come back.

She raised 4 children and was a widow with debt in her mid 30's. She did her best and I miss her.

Super Bowl Weekend for a Bachelor Party!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.