1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hands down the most apt bit of golf advice ever

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Oct 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Bandon pro Grant Rogers in a walkabout and wonderful Golf Digest interview, with one particularly bright and shiny gem:

"In every foursome, one person is always having the most fun. That person might as well be you."

Word.

2. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My old boss (now retired) was a hacker. He played in a pro am a few years ago. After his round with a pro he asked the pro what kind of ball he should use for his type of game. The pro told him that he should get one that is round, preferably white and with dimples. The pro told him that for golfers that are over 12 handicap it really doesn't matter what kind of ball they use as long as it isn't warped (or too old).

Speaking of old, we were commenting one night, in a thousand years some archeologist will be unearthing stuff from today. Some things he will find - a thousand year old twinkie, a can of coke and a top flight XL golf ball that will probably still be playable.

3. ken2v

Modern balls don't warp like wound balls. But there is some method to the madness. I see performance variability in various balls -- I spin X too much, for instance --but god knows what it does to my game?

I've played in many pro-ams, with many touring pros, and like the Bandon teaching guru said, all they want from their pro-am partners is smiles and good times. Brittany Lincicome told me this year, in fact: I won't remember how you play, I will remember if you were fun or not.

4. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read that a few years ago. And will re-read periodically from now on.
    Thanks Ken.

5. ken2v

I missed it the first time around. Thankfully it was in this month's compendium of great quotes.

Pacific Dunes, #13: I was having my usual round of much goat, some pars, some glory, and had just committed figurative seppuku on #12. We're waiting to hit in, I'm over by the bluff, barely up, and my caddie cruises over and says: "You've not stopped smiling all day." I laughed and said, "If this isn't fun, what is?"

"We get miserable people through here all the time," he replied. "It sucks."

Godspeed to you and the family, my friend.

6. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And that, in a nut shell, is why I quit. It takes a lot of inward looking to come to that conclusion, just the same as an alcoholic.

7. ken2v

You quit because you have a foul temper? It's only a game. But one you play with friends, in a great setting. Hard to beat that.

8. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

........about 15 years ago (?)........
    My buddy asked me to play on (Caddy Monday ) at the club
    we caddied at ---
    I didn't really feel like playing........
    But it dawned on me..."Hey, these are the good 'ol days ! Might not be too many more
    times to play with a good friend + have some laughs."
    I showed up with my video camera + shot us monkeying around.
    That was the last time we ever played golf together -
    and it's a great record of a day, long gone by --
    I watch it once, every couple of years and laugh my @ss off at us !
    I was smart enough to realize........."these are the good 'ol days" !

9. ken2v

Awesome, Joe!!

This is tangential, but also strikes to exactly what I'm saying, and it's my thread anyway and posting walkabouts don't wad my underwear ...

I was reading various news accounts of peoples' reactions -- Twitter, FB, wherever -- to various SPORTING events over the weekend, and notably the botched punt that handed the game to Sparty. I capitalized sporting because way too many people forget it's a sport, a diversion, a game, an entertainment. Of course, be passionate about your diversions, people, otherwise why have them? But don't be a algae-feeding imbecile about it. Some of the shit directed at that kid traipsed far past the edge of what constitutes a functional thought process. Intelligent creatures don't threaten a kid, an adult, whomever, don't demean the guy's parentage/patriotism/genital functionality, don't threaten her life or existence, because of a gaffe. If you are that vested in your fantasy league, if your emotional well-being is determined by this stuff, if you athlete or team does something, well, human, and loses a game, don't go set fire to that closet full of official NBA wear you spent a mortgage payment on. I'd call it childish if that didn't insult children.

They're games, enjoy 'em. Embrace the defeats, the snaphooks, the pick-sixes for being part of the beauty of the endeavor. When you blow a squirreler right on #8 at Pebble and you've personally won at Augusta, go ahead and walk to the edge and fling that iron into the bay. Until then, check out the sea otters and smile. You're one lucky person. Actually, the pro should do the same.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  10. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well said, ken! Thanks!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.