1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Guys trip downtown. Sorry no hookers.

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by card21doc, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. card21doc

card21doc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Just a summary:

Four guys: Butch (me), Shannon (sil), Jason (sil), and Bob (friend.) Our wives graciously allowed us to plan a Vegas trip. We started planning in January, but May was the earliest we could all get together. ANTICIPATION.

We flew out of Midway in Chicago. About a 2 1/2 hour trip. The flight was at 5:30 am, which meant that Saturday would be our last nights sleep.

We decided to stay downtown this trip and low roll. It had probably been 25 years since last staying downtown. we always would visit for at least a night on each trip.

Hotel of choice was the Hotel California. We needed queen sized beds for at least 1 son in law. That left out most hotels downtown. We were pleased with the hotel. Added bonus was the fridge in the room. The room was clean, large enough, and in good repair. The ac worked really good and was quiet. The hotel was laid back and friendly enough. We had a good stay, and would stay there again.

Gambling:
    Blackjack is my game of choice. I used to enjoy craps also, but hadn't played in years. I rectified it this trip.

Day one saw small wins at the Cal.
    Day two saw losses at the Cal, Main St Station, and the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast was especially bad. I can usually eek out a win there after grinding for a few hours; but not this time. After being beaten down for a while, I finally won two hands in a row! I went up on my bet and then the dealer got a BJ. Not being dismayed, I left my bet out. Another dealer BJ. Ok, I left my bet out and......... another dealer BJ. GRRRR.... I left my bet out and had a double down hand. Hit 19 and the dealer hit 20 and won the table. I still left my bet out and the dealer hit.......... another BJ. I had seen enough. We left with our tails between our legs.

We caught up with Shannon. He had played at a $150 buy in poker tournament at Aria. He was the 101st out of 128. Not bad, but not in the money. We continued to lose at the Cal and Main Street. After midnite we said goodnite to Bob and Jason and ventured over to the Plaza.

At the Plaza we played Freebet 21. We had a great dealer. I think his name was Nathan. One of his quotes was "I'd slap my Momma before I'd hit a 16!" You can throw basic strategy out the window for the most part. We did ok at this game and each made a couple hundred. One of the guys at the table hit his 14 vs d6. He drew a 4. That wound up saving the table. The dealer had 16 and drew a 10. He was leaving after this hand, so I flipped him a chip for "saving the table." The reason I really flipped him the chip was I thought he would need it if he continued to hit 14 against a dealer 6:evillaugh

We continued to the GG. I really like this place, but they have converted to csm on the dealer floor. I was about to walk out, but peeked in the "high limit room." It was a $15 6 deck shoe. Count me in. We went on a pretty good run. Every time I was going to color up after a couple losses, the dealer would give me a winning hand. Finally I decided to keep the green and only play with the red. When I ran out of red, we left. (up pretty good.)

From there we walked through the Four Queens and the D. We decided to play at the Freemont. We both left the $25 table after getting our asses kicked. We went to a $5 table. and were joined by a couple of noobies. After they lost a couple of hands, they took our instructions. We wound up winning everything back we had just lost and more. finally, at 3 am we thought it was time for bed.

More later...........

Oh, I left out the craps session.

Bought in for $300. Played $5 pass double odds. Intended on raising the odds as I won. Alas only 2 payouts in 20 minutes. Lost $270. Went to play BJ while watching the craps table. No winners while we were watching. Downhill at BJ so we left. This was before we went to the Plaza.

Question? Why play craps at the Cal with only double odds, when MSS has 20 x's odds?

Day 3.

Slept late..
    After checking out at the Cal, went to the GC. I had a free room there and we were going to use it to store the luggage, take a late shower if necessary, etc. Stored the luggage and went to play BJ. Again, we were getting our butts handed to us. Decided to check out and go to the Trop. And so our last stand was at the Trop. We got in on 2 good streaks at the Trop and left on a high note. Shannon got on a 3rd streak and after a dealer 7 card 21 went on to win 12 hands in a row. He was playing heads up with the dealer. (I had gone to play "deal or no deal." My wife's favorite game. Made it to the bonus but still lost $10.)

Food:

Nothing fancy.
    Peppermill for our first meal. I got the blt with avocado. Good breakfast!
    Dinner @ Bellagio buffet. Very good.( especially bogo) Thank you My Vegas. Beside tearing up the crab legs and shrimp, I had meat filled ravioli in a cream alfredo sauce that was killer.
    Breakfast at Paris. Always good. Hadn't had a crepe in years. Had the mixed berry crepe and it was really good.
    Lunch at In n Out, always good.
    Dinner at Triple 7. Maybe I got the wrong food, but I thought it was just ok, a step under Chiles. I would eat there again, but I wouldn't make a special trip.
    Lunch at the noodle house at GC. Thought it was pretty good. Tried to go to Ping Pang Pong, but the line was too long.
    Last meal is always at In n Out. What can I say.

Random thoughts:

Trying to teach son in laws and Bob how to play basic strategy at BJ. Shannon had studied at various websites and was a quick learner. Bob did ok until he got gun shy. He quit splitting when he should and once hit a h17 against dealer Q. I told him that (unless he is counting) he should never ever hit a h17. You have to quit sometimes. When you get in a negative mindset you just have to get away for a while. Come back when you're in a more positive state of mind.

Jason had a tough time figuring it out. He would want to hit against a d bust card, and on the other hand stay when he could bust against a d10. We told him to always show us his cards without exception. His biggest problem was walking away after a good win. One time he bought in for $25 made $200 and then walked away a loser. I tried to teach him that money management was at least as important as knowing basic strategy.

Shannon did really well. Only asked me a couple times for advice: D or H 9 vs d 2. (d) and split 9 against a dealer 9. (s) In both cases he walked away a winner. ( and made the right move according to basic strategy.)

The saying that I go by: The object of the game is not to get 21, the object is to beat the dealer.

Saw a really nice-looking hooker. (at least from the rear.) Had on a pair of really short shorts with fire on the cheeks. She was going the same way we were. really enjoyed the view. When we got to a light, she turned around and made eye contact for a really long time. That's when we figured she was probably a hooker. Btw the rear vies was much better than the front view. Just sayin....

Found out that at 66 I can still run the young ones in the ground. No sleep since Saturday nite, leave for the airport at 12:30 am Monday. Next time to bed was at 3am Tues morning. I was the last one to bed every night. A different sil stayed up with me each nite. The other sil went to bed around midnite.

Finally, the one pic we took:

PSX_20150521_123754.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No Hookers - the VMB guys are getting out the Kleenex right now:cry:

Looking forward to more hooker-free TR

Val

36th Wedding Anniversary
  3. dewey089

dewey089 Guru of Value

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report. Thanks for all the detail.

4. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report and thanks for sharing!!

5. Spivderman

Spivderman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You ate (or tried to eat) at four of the places I have planned for my trip in two weeks -- INO, Peppermill, Paris (MAG), and Gold Coast (PPP).

Great job running the young bucks into the ground!!

6. card21doc

card21doc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The over/under for INO was 2. Everybody loved the pepper mill. Was disappointed we couldn't get in to PPP. It must be pretty good to have a line like that. As far as running the kids in the ground, I've had a lot of practice. Lol.

7. RM777

RM777 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for sharing!

8. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report! When i first read it though, i thought you changed your mind on the hooker and ran her into the ground instead! lol

9. JeJas

JeJas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Downtown without hookers, what is that? Are you sure you were visiting Vegas?

10. jlee1224

jlee1224 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I mean, do you even want people to read this? :)

11. card21doc

card21doc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey! What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.