1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Group trip for Halloween

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Vegas Insight, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought I'd ask for the help of you fine folks in planning my group trip to Vegas this fall.

We work in the haunt industry, and Halloween 2016 should work well with our schedules since we're not open for business when Halloween falls on a Monday. I've done Halloween in Vegas before, but not since 2013. I've worked the past two Halloweens.

A co-worker and I talked about how much fun it would be to go to Vegas with a few of our co-workers, so we decided to make it happen. We decided this last March. Yes, 19 months prior to the trip.

We won't have a huge group. It might be as small as four people. It could be 10-12 people. I've encouraged the youngsters who might be interested to plan ahead, but try telling the paycheck-to-paycheck members of society to save a few bucks a month. I've even offered to help people find ways to sock away bonus cash without having to quit smoking or pick aluminum cans out of the trash, but nobody seemed that interested. You can only try.

I have a general philosophy on how we should organize a group trip: I'll invite people to follow my lead when it comes to booking airfare and a room, or they can do it themselves and meet up with the group as little or as often as they'd like. As a seasoned visitor I know enough ins and outs to make a few nights fun for the newbies and second-year players, and I know how to make their minimum wage paychecks stretch without having to rely upon McDonald's for every meal. The main goal is for people to get there by the afternoon of Oct. 30 so that we can make a group trip to one of the local haunted attractions and then spend Halloween night downtown. Anything else we do collectively is a bonus. As you might expect, it's a slightly diverse group of folks that are drawn together by our weird seasonal job/interest. I'm the elder statesman of the group.

For starters I'd like to ask anyone who has been an organizer and a participant in a group trip to Vegas what worked well and what didn't. I've read some of those anecdotes before, and I hope a few of you have some experiences to share here. I'd ask that if you don't have experience to share, please spare your recommendations as to what you think are good or bad ideas for group trips. Thanks, and happy new year.

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With a diverse group, it's nice to have a way for everyone to keep in touch and build the anticipation of who's going and where they are staying. I suggest either inviting them all to join the board and participate in this thread for the build up or set yourself up a group on Facebook.

What I tend to do, since I enjoy looking for a bargain, is scour the deals listed here on the board and on each hotels website to find the lowest room rates and promotions for the days we will be out there then post the daily rate and any bonuses (resort credits, etc) that might come with it to the group. There have been several times a great rate fell into our laps. Same thing with airfare. I will track airfare for myself on kayak.com for my dates and some others, then let them know if I spot a special from their airport for our dates. What you will see with this is the build up and excitement level ramping up as more people book airfare and room, which encourages the others to get on the stick and book something themselves.

Don't over plan. You may find some smaller groups will split off to go do their own thing, but having just a few "group" things is the best way to go. Don't expect everyone to eat at the same time, but setting aside one or 2 evenings for a nice meal together someplace as the group (I love getting a large group together and going to Maggiano's to do their family style meal) is a good way to make those moments special and more fun. A few hours of laughing, eating, and drinking around a dinner table always sticks with me. Then the group might decide to go do this or that, or split up into smaller groups again.

If one person can swing it, having a somewhat large suite to hang out in and drink or whatever is always fun too. Our group tries to do this every trip. I got a wraparound suite at Cosmo for my birthday a couple of years ago and setup an open bar for a party we were having in the room that Saturday night. I spent all day in the suite as, throughout the day, several friends dropped by for a drink or several then they would head out to gamble, eat, etc, then we all got back together later that evening for the party itself. Even if you all don't have a party in the suite, pre-gaming and starting the night out in a suite can be a lot of fun.

Gauge the interest of everyone in doing something different. Your group trip to the haunted attractions then Halloween night downtown is a great start. If you all haven't thought about it already, I do suggest dressing up for Halloween. That is a lot of fun. Other ideas, maybe several will want to go to a gun range, ride the rides on the Stratosphere , etc. just don't feel like you have to do everything with everyone or you yourself won't have as good of a time as you should.

3. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the suggestions SH0CK.

As the elder statesman, I'll be doing some fare watching in the months to come, and haven't decided upon where we should stay. I told everyone to plan their own trip if they want and join the group as much or as little as they want. A couple that may come plans to rent their own vehicle and stay with friends in the area, and therefore might not join us for as many meals and activities.

I've had a similar thought to how you organized a group trip. I always thought that a good strategy would be for everyone to meet at a set time and location for dinner, and people spend the day doing as they please in smaller groups. My hope is that everyone can be there by the afternoon of Oct. 30 (we'll be working on the 29th) so that we can go to the Freakling Bros haunted houses that night. We're likely to stay downtown because of the cost, and since we all have worked in the haunt industry (one or two folks on this trip may be retired), Halloween costumes are kind of a no brainer for us, even me. I work at a haunted attraction, but not in costume. I do security.

As for the rest of the week, however long it is, I'm inclined to leave it open, with the exception of perhaps a group meal. I'll be going to the Pinball Hall of Fame for sure, and I know people will want to join me for that. I also intend to be in town until Friday, but know that some of the younger folks may have to book a return trip by Wednesday because they can't afford much more than that.

Your suggestion for having a suite/party room is a great one that I'll look to make happen assuming we have more than four people committed to this trip. Love that idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.