1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Group Travel

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by lmchls, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmchls

lmchls Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will be going back to Vegas in March with a group of 6-8 couples. Anyone have any suggestions on what is the best for group travel? Airlines or vacation packages or do I actually need to break down and contact a travel agent? Thanks in advance for any input!!!

2. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't used a travel agent in fifteen plus years and have done a bunch of group travel. Does anyone have any players cards? If so, have them call the number on the back of the card and see what kind of group rates they can give you. As for airlines, usually I am the designated researcher and I just play around with different websites to find the best rates and times and pass on that info. Then people can do with it what they want. Some people have mileage they would prefer to use or can't go on a specific date or time, etc. if no one has any players cards or a host, then again, start playing around with different websites. Go to CET and MGM to sign up and start receiving offers. You can also find promo codes on this site and others. You have been there before, do you know where you want to stay yet and when you want to go?

With all that said, if no one is willing to do the research, as it can take a lot of time, THEN I would call an agent.

Have fun planning!!

Oops, just saw you are going in march. It is way too soon to really book anything now. I would wait till at least October or November to even start looking. But I know how you want to just jump in now as you probably had everyone commit already :)

:beer::beer::beer:

3. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas certified personal trainer/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is your group planning to go to Las Vegas for the NCAA tournament? If so, be aware that hotel rooms at the nicer properties fill up faster for opening week, so it might be wise to plan on booking rooms earlier.

As regular March Madness visitors (2014 will be our 13th consecutive MM in Las Vegas) I've heard stories of people finding last-minute rooms at low end properties, but your wives/significant others would feel more comfortable at nicer properties.

If your group isn't visiting for March Madness, you will want to avoid that week as hotel and airfares can be steep.

4. lmchls

lmchls Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No we aren't going for March Madness.....we will be there March 12-16....we fly in on Wed and fly out on Sunday. I know that I can't book anything yet but I'm just trying to get a feel on what airline/travel agent, etc. would be best. No one but me has Player's Cards for anywhere and I just broke mine in last year LOL

5. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

You might want to rethink this couples thing. It hard to get that many people to agree upon anything, especially when it comes to transportation, dining, lodging, shows, etc.
    You could end up at each other's throats before the trip is over.

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Every hotel has a group booking department, start there. (However, at 12-16 you likely will get bumped back to the regular channel.)

A call to a travel agent is free, so rate shop. But in this climate, with so many third-party providers and airlines and hotels trying to reclaim some of what they ceded, likely the best thing you can do for your friends is to give them a spreadsheet of airline and hotel rates and then turn each couple loose to book what they need.

I've set up a number of group get-togethers, both larger and smaller than your size. I got a group rate from whatever hotel we had a consensus for, when possible, and date-priced a few other options, and then trusted everyone to be adult enough to call in and book or find their own way, and it always worked out. As others have pointed out, travel is another animal given loyalty programs and real world intrusions.

I get where chef is coming from. Unless you have agreed up front that you are going to see Show A, you have everyone's coin in hand and you've purchased tickets, it will be like herding cats. Way too easy for people to lose suction in Vegas. Same thing with food, if you can get everyone on board for a meal together, nail it down, but let it be free range after that. One bit of glue we always used was having a cocktail reception in our suite one night.

7. LucyLou22

LucyLou22 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your most likely not going to find satisfaction through the group booking department although it is worth a try. I can recommend southwest air and hotel packages. They always have fair prices and we have used them in the past. Another option is booking with the hotel direct. This allows you to cancel or change your reservation if you find a better rate. I would also check sites like http://travelvegas.com and http://lasvegasadvisor.com to find discounts codes. Hope you have a great trip!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.