1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by cymbals, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cymbals

cymbals Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are fling into Vegas on June 19th we will spend most of our time in Vegas. We are going to rent a car and drive to the Grand Canyon for a couple of days. Any suggestions as to what to do for that short of a time at the canyon? I know it will be hot.

2. thespiritoftruth

thespiritoftruth Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First off, I'd say make sure you stick around for sunset each night. It's a pretty impressive experience.
    There's plenty to do just driving around the south rim of the canyon. Not sure about your wanting to hike, but you can always walk down a few of the trails at your own pace. Are you planning on staying in the park? The rooms fill up pretty fast.
    Another park that's pretty close (less that 3 hours drive) and is very impressive as well is Zion national park in Utah. You could always try that for a day or two, and then make your way down to the north rim of the grand canyon. The north rim is a lot less touristy, but still equally as beautiful as the south side.
    Either way, make sure you drive the entire south rim if you have time, as it's a very impressive sight to see.

3. thespiritoftruth

thespiritoftruth Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Attached are a couple of pictures of the south rim of the grand canyon, and then a couple of Zion. Each of these pictures were taken steps from the parking lots, as everything is readily accessible.

Attached Files:

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which rim are you considering? The most popular rim is the South Rim. It's closer from Vegas to visit the West Rim, but IMO, it's not as spectacular. But it is still the canyon.

If staying in the park is an option, that's the best. tsot said sunset is wonderful, but I think sunrise is just as great. See as much as you can. Hike! If you are not big on hiking or have mobility issues, there is a paved path at the South Rim that goes along a big section of the rim. If you can, walk down into the canyon at least a little ways. The climb out is not nearly as fun as down, but I think you have to see it from inside too. Just beware. I wasn't thinking about up on the way down and I paid for it. Or my poor calves paid for it. :)

I love photography so I love to watch how colors change as the sunlight changes and how different one element looks from one side and from another. I haven't been to the visitor center in years, but they are usually worth a stop and sometimes have great exhibits.

The NPS has pretty good suggestions for activities too. Quick Google - http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

5. cymbals

cymbals Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the input here. We will be at the south rim. We'll be staying in Williams. Thanks for the beautiful pics. I'm sure we'll do a little hiking. And I've heard people say "keep in mind going down that you have to go back up".

6. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

If you are staying in Williams........
    I would have loved to take that old fashion Train Ride -
    I believe it starts out of Williams + winds toward The Canyon ?
    Sorry, I'm a little fuzzy about it cos we went thru Williams
    years ago on our way to South Rim.
    Wear a hat + sunglasses -- it can be incredibly BRIGHT +
    you are at 5,000 ft elevation in June desert sun at the
    South Rim.
    Don't forget Sunrise !

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.