1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Grand Canyon Tips & Info?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by IHeartDancers, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IHeartDancers

IHeartDancers Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been scouring people's Trip Reports trying to find info on their Grand Canyon trips, but haven't had much luck.

Anyone have any experiences with driving to the Grand Canyon to share?

Google says it's about 4.5 hrs to drive from The Strip.

How's the drive there? Uneventful? Is it easy to get lost? Are there any recommended stops to stop by and check out, since i'm there? How long do people usually stay there? If I leave my hotel at 8AM and get there around noon-1, is it bad idea because that's when it's the hottest out? and we're in the middle of the desert?

2. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have done this exact day trip. Don't worry about the heat. GC is at a higher elevation. I went in mid-May a couple years ago and actually stopped to buy a sweatshirt at a truck stop during the drive up there. It was a four hour drive and pretty easy. Kingman is probably the largest stop between vegas and GC if you want to stop for an extended period. But there were never any long stretches where we felt cut off from the world. GC is fantastic. Well worth the drive

3. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For what it's worth, I strongly recommend the south rim, the west rim is a waste of time and money. But I agree with UKFanatic, GC really is awesome.

4. IHeartDancers

IHeartDancers Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. How long did you stay for? What were you able to take in?

5. IHeartDancers

IHeartDancers Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. After viewing their website, I think I might visit the North Rim for this trip, since it's not open all year round but open now. I guess depending on time, i'll see if I can swing by South Rim? Or maybe save South Rim for another trip, since it's open all year round.

6. deansrobinson

deansrobinson Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were out there back in March and did the South Rim bus tour. For us, it worked out well...since it's such a haul. There's a stop at the Hoover Dam and then other 'break' stops along the way. Basically, it's a full day, leaving around sevenish in the a.m. and getting back around eight or so in the evening. I think, maybe we spent just over an hour at the south rim - which is fine if you want to see some of the canyon. If, on the other hand, you wanna do some hiking or some such going down from the rim, the bus tour probably isn't your gig. Thing is...it's a haul from Vegas and back, so unless you're doing an overnight to really take it in, I'm just more comfortable leaving the driving to the other guy.

7. IHeartDancers

IHeartDancers Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What did everyone do for food? Eat a big meal before hand? Bring food/snacks? Suggestions?

8. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are renting a car and will stop somewhere and stay for the night. I am sure we will take food/snacks. I think I heard there were places to eat there but am not sure.

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Driving 4 hours each way is not my PERSONAL idea of fun. I know it works for many.

We did a helo trip that overlooks the GC and then lands part way down for a quick lunch. It was awesome.

10. Geddy3

Geddy3 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. jhair

jhair Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want to try something different, you could drive to Williams AZ. Spend the night and take the train to the canyon. We did this once several years ago.

The train takes you right to the main entrance. Williams is a small town but they have plenty of eating options in addition to lodging.

12. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a day trip. I think we spent about four or five hours there. We started at the main visitor center and hiked along the rim. We went a bit past the lodges. If you have enough time, I would suggest taking one of the switchbacks down into the canyon

13. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As someone who has been to the Grand Canyon via Vegas, both within one day, and also staying over, I HIGHLY recommend staying overnight. This will insure you will not be exhausted trying to drive 10 hours (round trip), give you enough time to see several different aspects of the park, and also let you enjoy both a sunset and a sunrise the following morning.

I've never been to the West Rim / Indian portion. I've been to both the North Rim and the South Rim within Grand Canyon National Park. The South Rim is closer, and is the side of the park a majority of visitors go to. It's typically 15-20 degrees cooler than Vegas due to elevation. It snowed flurries (didn't stick) in September when we were there. Bring some bottled water, a backpack, comfortable hiking shoes, and a jacket unless you are going in the summer. Memorial - Labor Day are the busiest times. The South Rim is open year round, the North Rim closes in the winter due to closed roads / snow.

You can lodge within the park, or in hotels near the park. Regular shuttle buses take you to various points within the park. Go to the NPS.gov site and get more information from the park guide to plan your trip further.

I love the Grand Canyon, and suggest everyone try to make it there at least once. Zion NP and Bryce Canyon NP are also within a day drive of Vegas, and are highly worth taking in. Bryce Canyon in many ways is even more amazing than the Grand Canyon, and less crowded.

I also love Death Valley, but it's not for everyone.

14. IHeartDancers

IHeartDancers Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmm, after doing research on Grand Canyon it does sound tiring and a bit of a waste of a day to just drive there and drive back.

Google says Red Rock Canyon is about 35 mins about, anyone recommend going there instead?

15. weluvvegas

weluvvegas Vegas Slot Junkie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were planning on doing GC in a day. Read up on the drive and we aren't really hikers so it seemed like a ton of work just for an hour or so of pictures.
    Dumped that idea and instead we are going to Red Rock. Looks like a mini GC!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

40th Birthday Bash!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.