1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Grand Canyon in a Day

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by johnvic, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me and my friend are planning to drive to the Grand Canyon and not stay over, just a day trip. Knowing us, we won't get on the road until 9 AM. Do we want to go to the Southern Rim? Western Rim is the Skywalk and I get the impression that it's a bit of a ripoff. Am I correct about that?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Super Bowl Weekend for a Bachelor Party!
  2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might want to do a search on Skywalk and get some real feedback. From what I have read it is a LONG ROUGH way to get there to spend $$$$.

The drive is a killer either way. We did a helo from Vegas. Six hours, hotel door to hotel door and we landed in the GC!

Anyways, a search on SKYWALK or CANYON will be worth your time.

3. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's a long drive to be doing that in one day and leaving that late in the AM.

I didn't do a search, but what is the thing about the $$$? I was there last year, and it didn't cost any money to go out on to the Skywalk. Did they recently start charging?

4. NickyDim

NickyDim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Drive to Boulder City airport and take Scenic Airlines tour to the south rim. Less than an hour flight, great views of the dam, lake mead and the canyon. Two different stops along the south rim including the Bright Angel lodge with lunch.

You can sleep until 9 and still be back in your hotel by dinner. It's easy and quite the experience of flying in an non-pressurized 10 seat plane. It's freakin' awesome.

5. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going July 2nd. It's $82.95 per person for the Legacy Gold Adult tickets. But it's a one time visit. Doubt I'd go again.
    The only thing I see sucking is they will not allow you to take pictures once you are out on the actual Skywalk.

6. marktaylor

marktaylor Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we drove to the grand canyon , was originally going to the skywalk , but got lost and ended up driving 280 miles each way to the south part of the canyon , took most of the day and was very tiring was still worth it though

the actually skywalk is only 120 miles from vegas so should take about 2 hours each way

7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My parents drove out to the Skywalk and the road was awful. They got all the way out there to find out that the cheapest package was way more than they wanted to spend. My mom tried to find a place where they could see the canyon, but all the roads out to the rim were closed off.

If you're going to do a day trip, the air/ground packages are the best option, but it is also the priciest. You can do the south rim in one day, but it's a long day.

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Someone always kicks me in the nuts when I say this, but so be it:

I don't get the GC-in-a-day thing via roadway. I mean, I guess if a guy can either peek over the rim for 30 minutes or go his entire life without doing so, then at least with the former he can say "Hey, I've seen the Grand Canyon."

The canyon's just one of those things you really gotta experience in life, and personally the if-it's-Tuesday, this-must-be-Belgium approach doesn't do it. And most particularly if one is within proximity of it -- like in Vegas or Phoenix -- on multiple occasions.

Just me. I yield the soap box.

9. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree (skip the West Rim, single day trip at either West/South Rim is a long day).

We did the one day trip once (from Laughlin to GC to Vegas - I believe it's 1 + hours shorter from Laughlin) and it was a long and tiring day. We weren't able to spend as much time at the Canyon beyond a short 2 hour hike and 1-2 hours at the main entrance point, and we were beat by the time we arrived in Vegas.

I'd suggest staying overnight to get a sunset and sunrise in, keep the driving within a day down to a reasonable level and to have the ability to explore more of the canyon. You'll also be able to leave at 9AM and when you return to Vegas you'll have the energy to enjoy the following evening.

If you have no interest in spending more than 1 or 2 hours / taking a few photos, I'd leave around 6 AM to skip any traffic through Boulder and get there around lunch so you can spend a few hours and salvage the evening in Vegas. If you leave at 9AM, you won't return until the late evening and probably be too tired to do anything else.

10. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I'm going to suggest Death Valley to my travel mate and bring ton of water. I've done all the local stuff several times and did Death Valley once but I know he hasn't. But the Grand Canyon idea is sounding rushed and should be saved for an overnighter for another trip.

Thanks all.

By the way, I remember going to "If it's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium" when I was a kid. I was 9 and probably went with my mother and I was just brought along. I really don't remember it other than the title and I'm guessing we went to the movie theater in Woodside, Queens, which no longer exists.

11. ken2v

Man, I remember a ton of flicks from that day to which my mom dragged me. :rolleyes2: Oh, and she LOVED musicals. So of course she thought I'd love them. (Actually, I do have lotsa fun memories of this stuff, Limelighters concerts and the like.)

12. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Not worth the hassle of driving for a 1-dayer.
    Are you willing to try something a bit less glamorous, like say, Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park (both in southwest Utah)? Much shorter ride and it is entirely possible you may enjoy yourself just as much if not more at either one of these two sites.
    To this day, I still prefer treking the Canyonlands, specifically the Needles District, over the Grand Canyon. Sure, it is even farther to travel to than the GC, but for the sake of comparison, these lesser-known spots often have as much grandeur as the big boys.
    The Death Valley idea ain't a bad one. We've done it a few times and have enjoyed ourselves. It doesn't compare to the GC, but is an easy day trip.

13. 3544quebec

3544quebec Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What about a day trip Phoenix-GC-Laughlin - does that change the dynamics? Is that a reasonably doable 1 day trip?

14. Aurelien

Aurelien Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I paid $350/person to go there by helicopter from LV. It took 4h for the trip and it was a complete BLAST. My friends took the bus and they felt like they've been robed, they saw the grand canyon while being exausted.

I suggest you to take the same kind of deal and land in the grand canyon, or take a flight and spend a full day there.

15. ken2v

400+ miles. Depending on your foot and traffic, 6-7 hours of driving. Canyon time and how you want to experience it is your call.

16. ken2v

This guy knows his stuff. (As for how chef experiences these places, he is definitely NOT an armchair/slow-down-just-a-bit-on-the-interstate-to-take-in-all-the-grandeur turista.) Zion is "doable" as a Vegas day trip, in the sense that it's not all just car time and for a first visit you can see the main highlights and even get out and shake a leg.

17. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that Zion is a better choice -- but Bryce is as far away as the GCNP.

18. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did Zion once in a day and was able to walk the trails without a problem. I spoke to my friend about Grand Canyon and he mentioned Zion as opposed to rediculously hot Death Valley.

19. Mitkraft

Mitkraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have done both the 1day west rim trip as well as the overnight trip to the south rim. The south rim is WAY better hands down as is the extra sight seeing you can do and the ability to catch sunset or sunrise.

That being said however I was not disappointed when I did my west rim trip since I hadn't done the south rim yet. If you do your homework and know what to expect then you can decide if its worth it to you. Things to know are:

They will nickel and dime you for sure read up in the costs.

The skywalk does cost extra and you CAN'T take your camera (they say its because of the risk of harming the wildlife below by dropping it but they really just wasn't to sell you as picture of you on the skywalk).

The drive once you leave the highway is rough and slow. Do NOT try to speed down the rock road. A car in front of us was going too fast and FLIPED over on the way back. I also recommend having some sort of truck or SUV. If you are renting you might look for a vehicle that is already dirty or dinged so that any rocks you pick up on that road won't be obvious.

We drove out, spent a several hours touring and taking pics, and drove back all in the same day. We paid for the bus tour once at the reservation and it wasn't bad (I think it came with lunch to) but it is kinda pricey for what it is. Ill admit that.

20. elbee309

elbee309 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did the one day drive to Grand Canyon south rim and enjoyed it immensely. We left at 6 AM from Orleans, took about 4 hours to get there (stopped for breakfast in Kingman). This was the first week of April a couple years ago and there were no crowds at all. We rode their shuttle bus to every lookout without any standing in line. We're not big on hiking but took lots of pictures. In the 6 hours, we were there, we saw everything we wanted to and were back in Vegas around 8. My husband is a truck driver so a 4-hour drive is nothing for him (except for the busman's holiday kind-of-thing).

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.