1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Grand Canyon from Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Sam in Ut, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those of you that have done the Grand Canyon from LV, approximately how long of a drive was it? Did it take up a whole day and night of your vacation and in your opinion...was it worth it?

2. billydice

billydice Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe it was about 4 hours one way. It is worth it. If you are going for 5 days or longer I would do it. If you don't plan to get out west again I would do it. It is just one of those things you have to see to believe.

3. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We went to the South Rim. A bus tour can be purchased which will give a full day trip (Approx 14 hours). We did a three day tour with a rental car. Day one to Laughlin (Flamingo Laughlin), Day two to South Rim (overnight at the Rim), Day three back to Las Vegas. I have been to many of the world's wonders, but the Grand Canyon is the only one that has caused me to say "WOW". Pictures and videos do not communicate the immensity. Even seeing the canyon from the air does not prepare you for its size....IMO it was worth it. I'll probably go again in September.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No drive here. We took a helo from the strip. Half day, and awesome.

5. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Sam,
    Are driving down from SLC? If so, Zion and/or Bryce is right on the way and offers much of what the Grand Canyon has. That would be my course of action.

6. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We went when we were out in LV on our honeymoon. We were out for 7 days so we planned on taking a day and night and driving to the Canyon. It seems like it was about a 5 hour drive or so, but we stopped at Hoover dam on the way as well. We booked a room at a hotel on the road that goes into GC national park. Realizing temperatures are a bit cooler at the canyon rim, we didnt get to stay long as all we had were shorts and t shirts(honeymoon, we werent thinking ahead I guess).

If you have never been there it is a must see in my opinion, hopefully the weather will be warm for you so you can explore, I hiked into the bottom of the canyon and camped for a week in college, so it wasnt a huge deal to me that we got shorted, but I hated it for my wife, as she had never been there before. If you stay, there arent many choices, and if you drive it makes for a long day. Either way, I hope you enjoy it, its one of the most beautiful places on Earth! Have fun, and take your time on the drive, lots of cool places to check out and see!

7. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Both times we went

We stayed 2 nights in Flagstaff AZ,gave us time to see Sedona AZ also.

8. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes Chef we are driving this time, last time we drove was 10 years ago. Being a native Utahan I'm embarrassed to admit we've never visited Zion or Bryce so thank you for that suggestion, however the Grand Canyon has been on my bucket list all my life. Hey, maybe we'll do all of them this time, five days in Vegas and five in the rough. Tough although being away from my pooch that long. Lol

9. Jbrown815

Jbrown815 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done a bus tour from the strip. Think it cost about $90 but was worth it. Left at about 9 am or so back by 6 pm. Convenience factor was great. Doubt I'd go again from vegas but as an east coast native definitely a site to see while out there.

Snacks in the morning were provided as well as a lunch buffet midway out. Stopped for gas on the way back and could pick up souvenirs or more snacks there.

I had never seen the Grand Canyon before so I feel it was worth the price.

10. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

In a couple weeks from now, I'll be spending a few days in my home-away-from-home - Salt Lake, of course after a trip to Vegas first. Can't wait to get back to both places, especially SLC.

11. TrueblueAl

TrueblueAl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got the champagne picnic in a couple of weeks. Think it is with sundance helicopters. I looking forward to it although never been in a copter and am not brilliant with heights so will wait and see how i go.

Vegas Honeymoon
  12. burnaby99

burnaby99 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can you please tell me which tour co did this 9am to 6pm bus trip from the stip?
    Thanks

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.