1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Gordon Ramsay fish and chips

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by wigwam_salesman, Oct 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It looks like Vegas will be getting a traditional English fish and chips shop.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gordon-ramsay-set-open-traditional-4423739

Properly done the dish is amazing, and I have no doubt he will do it properly. A lot of people here may have had English fish and chips before. If in England you may say yuck, they are disgusting. In that case, it is likely that you had them from a Chinese owned fish and chip shop. They re-fry chips there and they are usually very greasy.

Proper English fish and chips are made from fresh cod, freshly battered while you wait and fried. The chips should be chunky and crispy yet dry. More grease is not a good thing.

Squeeze lemon on the fish and use plenty of salt and vinegar. Mushy peas are a great side dish to go with them. This is what they should look like:

fish-and-chips.jpg

2. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wonder when the Linq location will be opened?

Always seems so far away............
  3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I LOVE good fish and chips and will definitely try out a GR shop! Crown and Anchor (they serve it with the mushy peas) is very good in Las Vegas, as is Scooter's out on Rainbow, though not as "traditional".

4. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get in trouble for saying that I can't go into details on things, but expect the timeline to shift based on some news based out of CET in a few days...

5. ICallHimGamblor

ICallHimGamblor Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gordon Ramsay already serves fish and chips at his place at Caesar's, and it is disgusting. The breading was heavy and thick and bland, and the fish was soggy and bland. In fact the only thing that had any taste were the chips, but that was because they were covered with some sort of garlic / truffle / something that made them inedible.

I love good fish and chips, but this probably isn't it. I wouldn't be too excited about this prospect if I were you.

6. waverunner

waverunner BBHMM

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's one thing i miss most about Boston. Clam Rolls and Fish & Chips. I can't eat Seafood in LA (or Vegas) or anyplace other than Boston/Revere Beach (Kelly's), or New England.
    I miss Seafood, and New England boiled dinners (some people may know what i'm talking about).

In fact, most food i have eaten in Cali, Las Vegas, Hawaii, etc, is a compromise compared to New England.
    I'm sure Gordon does the best he can, but he and others are limited being on the West Coast/Vegas with food. But unless you were born and raised on the East Coast, good Seafood is just a figment of your imagination. Sorry to say that, but that's my honest opinion.
    However, the best Gyro i ever tasted was at the Outrigger Hotel on Waikiki Beach in Oahu........go figure.

7. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Caesars is just a naming exercise (admittedly, so might GR fish and chips be). I'm prepared to give it a chance as I really hope he will do a good job of it. My experience tells me that if he invests in a whole new brand he'll make a fairly decent fist of it. I could be wrong though.

8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No question, New England has some dynamite seafood, but c'mon... you can't eat it anywhere else?? Really?? San Francisco doesn't have some bad-ass crab? Seattle doesn't have some fresh fish to die for, as does Juneau, Alaska?? Never had a good seafood (shrimp or oysters) meal in New Orleans??? Abalone off the northern California shore? Mountain trout in Montana? (OK, I guess that's not technically seafood)

I can sure understand and appreciate a favorite area, but "can't eat it" elsewhere? That's just not realistic to me. You're missing some great meals.

9. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to defend waverunner.... A LOT of people here in New England ( im from CT) have those thoughts .Its almost like pizza ...we here in the Southern New England area think anything outside of the area lets say south of oh lets say NYC maybe northern Jersey and up to north of ( the "hill area") in Rhode Island isn't REAL pizza. With seafood...I totally agree a LOT OF great places in the States to get GREAT SEAFOOD/FISH outside of New England. Pizza I am EXTREMELY BIASED to the pizza here in my area but that's what I grew up on....so the deep dish Cali style and the wacky toppings don't do it for me..However I haven't tried ST LOUIS style and would love to. But back to the seafood issue it might be people consider that "regional". But for example I have had great Zuppa di Pesce out west and great Cioppino here in the northeast. And the world is getting smaller.... But I always remember people saying years back don't order seafood ( meaning blackfish, sole, COLD WATER lobster etc..) west of the Mississippi River it ISNT the same LOL!!

10. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ummm, not to mention Dungeness crab, Alaska Halibut, Russian river salmon....

11. FolsomMike

FolsomMike Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ...and anyone from Baltimore will tell you, never order a crab cake outside of Maryland.

12. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Pizza is a different story as are most regional specialties anywhere. But saying you can't get good seafood outside of New England or the east coast is crazy. There are so many major seafood centers out west. If you're talking about regional seafood dishes that works both ways.

13. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm originally from Maryland and have to agree wholeheartedly. I've gotten some pretty good ones elsewhere; but in gambling parlance, the odds are not on our side. For that reason, I almost never order them out. The so-called "Maryland style" is just an overused expression. I trust you can appreciate that I always bring a small packet of Old Bay Seasoning when I know I'll be having seafood. But back to the fish and chips topic (and despite the inevitable flaming from the gourmets among us), the absolute best fish and chips by far come from Captain D's or Long John Silver's! No joke. Like the crab cakes, I usually shy away from ordering fish and chips out; I've been disappointed too many times. BTW: Nine Fine Irishmen did them right, even though they weren't exactly cheap.

14. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just in Kentucky and saw a Captain D's... I was gonna try it, but opted for a Cracker Barrel for the first time!

15. Bluskies

Bluskies Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grew up in Victoria, British Columbia, and we had some great fish and chips shops. Those were the days when if you took the order to go, they would wrap it up in a newspaper page. (I'm pretty old.)

The closest I have found to great fish and chips in the last few years is the King's Head in Santa Monica.

I hope GR's new place will serve fantastic f&c!

16. shokhead

shokhead I'm no big spender!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love good fish and chips and good is hard to find.

Here we go again!
  17. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't enjoy the shrimp in Vegas because I live on the Gulf Coast and get my shrimp from a shrimper. I catch my redfish and sea trout. But I can't catch lobster or cod. So as other posters have said it is very regional and you proximity to the resource is a huge factor to quality of the food.

18. shokhead

shokhead I'm no big spender!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fish and chips mostly isn't shrimp.

Here we go again!
  19. waverunner

waverunner BBHMM

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish i "Haddock", fresh of the New England coast wrapped in the Boston Globe smothered in Tartar Sauce with cooked till golden brown Fries like Wise Potato Chips. I live in LA, which is like most of the West Coast, has "Hard Water", The Northeast has "Soft Water", which is why the food on the whole tastes better. From the Sea and the Tap water........to your plate.
    It's a whole different ballgame here in Cali, i guess i'm just use to it by now. But having grown up in New England, even generic Chinese food taste better there.
    It's the water.

20. TwiceTheJava

TwiceTheJava Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm from upstate NY. Apparently I'm far enough away from the ocean for our fish 'n chips to suck, because the fish 'n chips I had at GR's pub & grill at CP were the best I've ever had in my life!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.