1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Good fare, but questionable service

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by bullhead, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bullhead

bullhead Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I flew out of Cleveland at 7:20 AM on May 3rd. We used Southwest because of the very reasonable rate. ($228 roundtrip-direct per person) We arrived at the Rio about 9:30 AM. I'm cheap and I refused to pay for early check-in.
    The room at the Rio was very nice for us.
    Our return trip had a 5:20 departure scheduled. We were delayed by an hour and forty minutes. Originally we were to arrive in Cleveland at 12:20 AM Thursday. We arrived at 2:00 AM. The airport seemed deserted. I never heard a reason for the delay.
    Because of the unusual departure and return times I booked a park and fly deal with America's Best Value Inn. The hotel did send us a ride within 20 minutes of our arrival, big plus marks for America's Best Value Inn.

2. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest has delays quite a bit. They are not a spoke and wheel airline and I think that is what causes the delays. Instead of them flying you from your city to a hub and then to your destination, they fly you from point A to point B, sometimes with a stop in the middle, think of it as a flying Greyhound. If there is a minor delay in one city, it can trickle down. Often times there may not be a delay in your city or your arrival city but maybe in one of the cities that the plane has to stop to after your city or what not and that can cause a delay. Over all, I still like Southwest but they do need to work on their on-time performance.

Tentative Arrival
  3. DeadManHand

DeadManHand Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Add in the fact that you were on the last flight of the day, a few short delays can add up to one long one.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, SW was okay heading out, but return was delayed, right? By the way, a 1hr 40 min delay is not that unusual.. not common, but it happens. I used to fly weekly with Delta, and one common leg was always close to 2 hours delayed.

Did they give you early check in at RIO, or did you have to wait until later?

5. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup as said above the later the flight the more chances for delays. The planes fly all day. Any delays anywhere will mean a pushed back flight late in the day. That's more apt to happen in winter of course but it does happen year round.

6. bullhead

bullhead Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I waited until 3:00 to check in.

7. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny, we fly SWA almost exclusively, and RARELY are delayed--we found many many more delays when we flew United, Delta.
    If we are delayed they make up the time in the air.
    Could be different in different markets...

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.