1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golfers: Cleats or cleatless?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Aug 12, 2014.

?

What's on your feet?

Poll closed Oct 11, 2014.
  1. Cleats

62.5%
  2. Cleatless

33.3%
  3. My club is full of Troglodytes, we still wear steel spikes

4.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

What's on your feet?

2. golfnut

golfnut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nike tw 2013 edition in black for my everyday golf shoe.(very comfortable for walking) The really nice foot joys for when I wear slacks or for when I need to dress up a little. Name slips my mind but they're a saddle style in all black think they were around $250-300.

3. golfnut

golfnut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

They have seen there fair share of use. That's for sure.

4. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have TW 14 in both white and black for matching purposes. Wear mostly Softspike Black Window Tour cleats but when given the chance to play a club that still allows nails, I do have a set of 8 mm nails readily available to change into the shoes. I know it's ancient but no better traction than steel spikes and no better sound than nails on pavement. Unfortunately due to many reasons including but not limited to increased play, carelessness of players, etc. nails have gone by the wayside almost everywhere.

5. ken2v

I've been wearing TRUE Linkswear for about two years, and exclusively for more than a year. And I switched to cleatless maybe four years ago when I went to adidas Puremotions.

My move away from traditional, narrow, dress-shoe lasts and cleated, thick shoes came in the wake of a case of fascitis I came down with after walking the RTO pro-am and then several other rounds in brand-new shoes. Except for some formal wear, everything I put on my feet now is low, flat (zero drop), not-artificially-supportive, wide and flexible, be it slippahs, Sanuks, boat shoes or golf shoes. Hell, my recent trip to Canada I wore my TRUEs the entire time, for everything we did, not just golf.

6. aaronw915

aaronw915 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Callaway's from Costco 2 years ago. Comfy and have stood up to some unpleasant conditions so far.

7. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    41aM6ZqK1lL._SY355_.jpg

I am thinking about giving these Champ PRO Stingers a run. Kind of a hybrid but I don't know whether they fall exactly in the "soft spike" category or not. Any takes?

8. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't used that 'spiked' type of Champs, but a similar Stinger model (the yellow section was 5-pronged, without the middle spike). I was not impressed with the traction after a few rounds. I found them 'springy', and too hard to impact the ground (unless it was really soft - like a wet green for instance, then it made a huge imprint mess).

Mind you, the Black Widow style that you mentioned earlier have been hit or miss over the years as they tweaked their products.

Cleatless - only one problem - they tend to leave a 'footprint' on our greens, since no green penetration - however, only with a few 'heavier' (275+ pound) golfers on soft greens first thing in the morning cause any impact problems.

9. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have Foot Joys. Like my 3rd or 4th pair. Ken, you forgot a category- Hybrids. I want some Eccos but they aren't cheap

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
  10. Fafa2e

Fafa2e Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the Footjoys with SoftSpikes. Tried the spikeless when i forgot my shoes and didn't like them.

Bonus Money to Burn
  11. ken2v

When it comes to shoes, the "hybrid" thing is a lot of marketing hokum. lol (And I'm a friend of ECCOs, I have several pairs now sadly in the closet since I don't wear cleats these days.)

12. ken2v

An apt sign for the modern locker room:

When you've won more majors than Ernie, you can wear metal spikes. :thumbsup:

So a thought; I'm actually pulling them together for an equipment article:

If folks go through all the trouble to get fitted, but don't get fitted standing on real grass, wearing their gamers, how fitted will those clubs be? I'm looking at some older-school shoes in my arsenal: Huge high arch, big platform, lifted heel. All that stuff puts a player at least an inch above the short mown.

13. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    cleat-less for me. I have a pair of True and a pair of Ecco. Just recently bought a pair of Skecher's sneakers that have little nubs on the bottom like the Ecco. I could wear sneakers and not tell much difference in my golf.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  14. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cleatless for me as well.

I wear a pair of Nike low top cross trainer type shoes for comfort.

15. bluerider

bluerider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My old pair: Older black and white Nike saddle style. (still wear 'em on occasion)

My new pair: '14 white and orange Pumas. (not a huge Fowler fan or "in-style guy", just like how they look and feel)

Both with soft spikes.

16. ken2v

17. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wear these about nine months out of the year:
    image.jpg

18. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am probably one of the few that really doesn't find a difference between my sandals, runners or wearing golf shoes. On nice sunny days when I know the course will be dry I wear my Merrill's, a pair of sandals I bought for walking. I have two pairs of golf shoes Puma non cleated which I prefer to my cleated FJ's. When the course isn't dry enough to wear sandals I will wear my runners and if it's been raining then I find I need golf shoes to stop me from slipping.

19. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Cleats -
    Last couple years = Footjoy Contours
    This year = ( they were out of Contours - so I bought Footjoy Super lites )
    I think I liked the Contours better ?.....it formed on my foot better, I think ?
    Not sure how long Superlites will last ?
    My shoes( Contours ) last about 1.5 seasons.

20. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually whatever Dicks or Sports Auth. have on sale. for $49.95. The Footjoys or Greenjoys I have now I bought at a discount golf shoe place for $42 near Hilton Head when I went to my buddys last year and forgot my shoes.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.