1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golf: Ride or walk?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken's thread about courses got me wondering. Does almost everybody ride these days? Many courses it has become mandatory that you take a cart and the design of many others makes for a hell of a walk if you can walk because of the distance between green to tee.

Just curious. Do you walk at your local muni? Other courses?

I don't carry clubs, but I walk with a pull cart whenever I can. But, some courses that allow you to walk, have just about made it an impossible task because of the distance and to keep play moving.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Sometimes developers/owners are too in love with a piece of property or with residential lots for a good, organic golf course to be accommodated. Then again, some of my faves have these horrid green-to-tee expanses. And some grasping clubs simply like the cart revenue.

I walk when I can, if the course allows and it's not something like Prince at Princeville. My home course reminds you that there is some athleticism to the game as you're heading up to 15 tee. And now that I wear nothing but TRUE and other minimalist shoes my feet are much happier under the load. I'll often cart if grouped with three who want to ride, however.

I've used Sun Mountain stand/carry bags for years.

Walking isn't slower. Bad designs, path-only and those idiots who don't take enough sticks to the ball are far more responsible.

3. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Walk, with a pull cart.

What exercise can you get driving a cart?

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My dad spent most of his life as a mucky-muck at the USGA and I was taught that we NEVER ride. You walk and carry your clubs like a man. And there had better be no whining! :) I am pretty sure they had kids to have someone to carry their clubs without having to tip a caddy. :haha:

Now that they're old, even my mom rides.

5. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what I do as well. Occasionally, and by that I mean rarely I get a cart.

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
  6. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go to the gym for exercise so I always ride a cart... This speeds up play for the rest of us on the course. On a lucky day, I'm finished in about 3 hours. Wouldn't want to be stuck behind someone who's "a man" and carries their clubs who's shooting in the 140s...

Annual Golf Trip
  7. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always take a cart. It's to hard to carry my clubs and a cooler. :thumbsup:

8. Fafa2e

Fafa2e Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Almost exclusively take a cart, but most courses near me require a cart anyway. I recently played the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island and walked 36 holes with caddie, it was a little much. First 18 was fine, but the second 18 was a killer.

Bonus Money to Burn
  9. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL. Riding a cart wont improve someone's score. I suck and usually can't break 100. I'll also average letting 3 to 4 groups play through per round. The few times I do take a cart I play with a good friend who plays lefty, we both have slices. After teeing off we usually drive down the middle of the fairway (or cart path) get out, he goes 50 yards in one direction, I go 50 yards in the opposite direction. Eventually we find the balls, whoever hits first will fetch the cart and pick up the other player. Believe me, it doesn't quicken our play one bit.

We call our style "Army Golf". Left-Right-Left-Right.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  10. SW

SW Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer to walk but both of the people I golf with the most, my dad and my good buddy, require a cart.

11. ken2v

Walking would definitely speed you guys up. And I think folks play better when walking.

Couple thoughts and please take these in the spirit intended:

Bad players are not necessarily slow, slow players are slow, unprepared players are slow. Yes, more shots can equal more; more bad shots can equal more time. But there's no one-for-one correlation. The two worst players in my usual group are faster than the two single digits in my usual group.

If you are letting that many groups through each and every time then you guys need to change up your routine. Letting others through is a short-term, use-only-sparingly remedy, not a cure. Letting repeated groups through slows everyone done immensely. Play ready golf, don't take four practice swings and then ice up over each and every shot, pick up when you're out of a hole, each walk separately to your respective places and keep it moving. You'll have more fun, everyone else will have more fun.

12. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also spend many hours at the gym or on my elliptical. So I have no desire to walk the course. Always a cart when allowed!

13. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree completely. Free gym membership with my medicare supplement program.
    Others disagree, but if everyone road a cart the game will go faster. At my age by the time I get to the 15 hole I'm tired even with the cart.

Superbowl Baby
  14. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to always walk, and carry my bag. As I got older, I changed to an easy-rolling pull cart. However, at a later time, I fell off a step-ladder while covering up my pontoon boat, and somewhat injured my lower back. After that, I had to use a riding cart ... as I could swing the clubs, but I just could not walk the 18 holes.

15. ken2v

And that right there is why carts are an important part of the game.

16. bubbakitty

bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love to walk when conditions / partners allow....you have time to think.,.hurrying with a cart never made golf better for me

1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
    Spur of momento trip
  17. ken2v

Give me a caddie and I'm a happy laddie!

18. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not a good golfer (just about a bogey golfer, lol) so I usually play just as fast when walking, especially since I'm all over the place. I use my golfing as my exercise for the week (in addition to going to the gym and doing cardio 3x a week) so I usually get a lot of walking in when I play. Luckily many of our muni courses are relatively flat but when I feel I'm in better shape I play at some of the more hilly courses like Pali. At least I'm not huffing and puffing like I was a few years ago.

My friend made a joke, we notice that many times the overweight out of shape golfers are the ones riding while the guys in shape are the ones walking all the time. My friend said that it should be the other way around, the out of shape golfers should be the ones walking but that usually isn't the case. :faint:

And no, I'm not inferring that anyone on this board is overweight just because they ride in a cart when playing.

19. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also walk with a pullcart, in fact i hate riding, you lose perspective riding IMO and the idea that riding is quicker than walking is a myth.

20. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Assuming all things are equal, taking a cart is quicker. If you and I had the same pre-shot routine, stood over the ball the same amount of time, and shot the same shots, riding a cart would be quicker because the time that you are walking up the fairway at 4mph I could be driving at 10mph. Now if you're playing on a busy course, walking can certainly be as fast as riding because although I may get to my ball in the fairway first, if there's still people on the green by the time you caught up to me I haven't saved any time.

The problem lies when two people are in a cart and aren't efficient. Say I'm 150 yards out on the right side of the fairway and my friend is 120 yards out on the left side of the fairway, I will have him drop me off and drive up to his ball. Once the green is clear I'll go ahead and hit and then walk up to him and the cart while he's getting ready to hit. If more people would do this instead of driving to Player A's ball, letting him hit, Player A getting back in the cart, then driving over to Player B's ball, letting him hit, etc., it could free up a lot of time.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.