1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golf Questions

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by SoonerGambler, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoonerGambler

SoonerGambler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am going to Vegas March 27-30 with a couple of friends and we are wanting to play a round of golf or two. Last trip I played the Wolf Course at Paiute with one of the guys who will be coming. We have a few questions in regards to this trip:

1. What are some good courses that y'all recommend?

2. We are thinking about bringing our clubs this time. Does anyone have any experience doing this? We rented sets last time. Do you recommend renting or bringing your own?

Thanks for the help everyone!

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

As you played Wolf you obviously don't mind driving a bit. If that's still the case, consider Coyote Springs. Newer course in the grand scheme of things and one of my top 3 publicly accessible courses in the area. Phenomenal play out in the middle of nowhere. If Paiute caught your fancy, I personally prefer Snow Mountain out there (as in preferring Audi to BMW or what not).

Out in Summerlin, there's TPC Las Vegas and Bear's Best. Primm down over the CA border about 40 miles south.

I don't mind taking my clubs, and I fly all over with my sticks. (We're going to Scottsdale this week for the WMPO, in fact!!! Fun fun.) The roundtrip cost is typically less than a rental set, and you have your own gear. Play more than once and you're way ahead. Plus the checked bag is a great place to stow other stuff so you can easily get away with a carry on for the trip.

3. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just got back Saturday from playing one of the two finest courses in the country IMO. We played Wolfcreek in Mesquite and like Ken mentioned Coyote Springs. Yes both are a ways up north but we'll worth the hours drive (mesquite) and less for Coyote. We being from SLC we took our clubs so can't comment on that issue. The weather was fantastic, even shirtsleeves one day! Good luck &!have fun!

4. ken2v

Sam highlights a very good point, the awesome golf that can be had up around those other borders. Wolf Creek is mind-blowing. I don't think anyone would ever want to have a steady diet of that madhouse, but it is bucket-worthy.

Another must-play in Mesquite is Conestoga, which ironically is part of a "senior" development (though it remains effectively a core course).

Then there's Sand Hollow and Coral Canyon outside St. Geo ...

5. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SoonerGambler, I forgot to clarify my recent Wolfcreek golf round. The greens were not good at all because of "some disease" as the assistant professional put it. They were in my opinion... terrible. Yes, the course is world class but right now, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I was thinking they would be acceptable by late March when you will be there but just in case, I would call the course ahead of time before you finalize your tee times. Sorry I didn't mention this earlier.

KenV's mention on Conestoga is a great one. It happened to be our third round course we played. As always, Conestoga didn't disappoint and as Ken2V mentioned it is part of a "Sun City" senior subdivision. We as seniors play the middle tees (two back from the most forward) and even that was plenty of golf for us.

6. ken2v

Wolf Creek has had since day one a my way/highway mentality. 'Tude, lousy service, not letting folks know about conditioning problems or ongoing maintenance. A regrettable part of the "service" package up there. I've dinged them for it a number of times, but there also can be no denying that routing.

7. SoonerGambler

SoonerGambler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the help everyone! Has anyone played/have an opinion about Angel Park or Legacy?

8. ken2v

There's some chatter about Angel Park on the other current thread, and there's been a lot about it in the archives. It's a solid mid-pack play. Good views. A very complete facility. It's a solid mid-pack play. Legacy has some really great holes, but it gets very claustrophobic in places, and I've played out there at a sprint and at a funereal crawl. Like AP, far from a hole but not a Paiute or something similar.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.