1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golf Clubs

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by fossefritz, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fossefritz

fossefritz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I need some insight on new clubs I am gonna purchase.

Is their really that much of a difference on buying last years irons than new ones for 2015

I see incredible deals on last years and just need a little advice. Looking at Mizuno and Adams

Thanks

Fossefritz

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

In a nutshell, no. Anything made the last few years is gonna be fine. (Caveat: I do think they've had a breakthrough recently with drivers and all these face channels and slots.) MORE important than 2013 v 2015 or Mizuno v Ping or whatever is getting fitted -- proper shaft, flex, length, lie angle and then clubhead style or technology.

As for those two, Mizuno mostly trades in forgings and players irons, though the cavity-back forgings are muy forgiving (I played the MP-52s and 53s for quite a while) and the company is getting rave reviews for its game-improvement clubs of late.

3. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken is spot on as far as technology and style, there won't be much difference. Fitting is also crucial as I truly believe you could see better results for properly fitted Walmart specials than ill fitted 2015 top end manufacturer sets.

I have a special place in my heart for Mizuno and the work they do with their forged sets. MP-33s were my go to back my junior and senior years in high school and into my freshman year in college before I jumped to Titleist. What set within the line comes down to what type of player you are and what you are looking for from forgiveness to control and workability. I'd be comfortable enough with the Mizuno brand to say you wouldn't go wrong with pretty much any set in their line.

Adams has been mounting a pretty strong comeback. To me it felt like they had a reputation for a while as an older players clubs with like Tom Watson as the spokes person but in recent years they have brought on some younger faces and I think it has faired well for them. Along with now being under the Taylor Made umbrella as well has helped reputation equally. I have never played any Adams irons but their hybrids have always performed very well.

Best advice would be to get out and demo some different sticks and see where you want to go with things then make sure you get fitted. Then most of all enjoy!

4. fossefritz

fossefritz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for answering this . I have decided on the Mizuno jpx 850's

I'm being fitted at swan lake

Thanks

5. ken2v

You're a ballerina? Cool. lol

Excellent choice in club. Enjoy!!

6. steelcity5044

steelcity5044 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Remember its not the arrow its the indian

7. ken2v

There is that. So do you still play hickories and a gutty? :evillaugh

8. steelcity5044

steelcity5044 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No way...still love the new toys...

9. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as the club head style is appropriate for your game (blade, perimeter-weighted or game-improvement), the proper shaft is more critical than the particular brand of head.

10. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken,you get around golf courses and golfers more than most people. Do you know guys who have a mini pro shop in their garages with all types of clubs and still dont get any better no matter what they hit. I know a few ,but I also also know guys who have high end irons that they bought from other guys at cheap givaway prices that cant really play them because they're fitted for someone else.

11. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken,you get around golf courses and golfers more than most people. Do you know guys who have a mini pro shop in their garages with all types of clubs and still dont get any better no matter what they hit. I know a few ,but I also also know guys who have high end irons that they bought from other guys at cheap givaway prices that cant really play them because they're fitted for someone else.

12. ken2v

I can't think of a lot of hoarder/tinkerers in my immediate circle. My best golf bud tends not to get rid of stuff, so he's as close to that type, but he sticks with his gamers and doesn't go looking for a solution in the back of the shed ... often. I think he just has separation anxiety.

My stuff cycles through. I go about three years on irons; certainly four with the current Pings. Drivers and wedges tend to pass through as stuff lands on the front porch. I'll bang it around a bit, go back to my gamers and then I send it along to the First Tee or one of the local high schools; the new Cobra Fly-Z driver definitely is in the bag, however. When I do swap irons, they usual go the donation route, too. If I win something at an event, ditto. I am putter-loyal even as I keep a backup on hand when the Anser acts up and needs a timeout in the closet for a round or two.

I re-grip my driver every 3-4 months and the whole bag every 6-8 months. Since moving up here -- away from the heat -- I've gone away from firm cord grips so with softer grips I've moved up the replacement cycle.

13. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Laugh if you want, but nothing was more satisfying than the sound of wooden club when you hit the sweet spot. It's like the difference when a major leaguer connects right on sweet spot. That is unmistakable and can be heard over 40,000 people.

14. ken2v

I can think of plenty of things that are more satisfying than that, but, yes, there was something really cool about persimmon and balata meeting at the tiny little spot on the club know as the screws. However, I'm happy driving a two-liter turbo from Germany and not a Model T.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.