1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golf Clubs on Allegiant Air

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by macker69, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macker69

macker69 Canadian Ambassador for Sully's Bar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi there! So going golfing with BeeeJay on this upcoming trip, but I am kind of torn between renting clubs or bringing my own. The cost is essentially the same and I really leaning towards renting as it will be much less hassle to lug clubs around. Out of curiosity has anyone taken there clubs on an Allegiant Air flight that was not a charter? The reason I ask is that they generally find a way to charge extra for everything so was wondering if golf clubs in a hard case that met the weight restriction would be treated the same as a normal checked bag. Thanks for any help

2. split10's?

split10's? Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have, but in a soft case. It was no big deal or extra charge above the standard bag charge. And it was nice to throw all the liquids in that to make going thru security a breeze. If there's any chance you'll play a second round, and if you are renting a car, i'd take them. If not or not, just rent...and there a few third parties that have gotten into the club rental market, typically at better prices than at the course. Here's one: http://www.vipgolfservices.com/rental_clubs.asp

3. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take my clubs for about 1/3 of my trips on Allegiant Air (out of Great Falls). They are quite strict with the 40 pound maximum weight (they weigh my hard case each time).

With that hard case, it is quite restrictive about what you can pack in addition to the normal 14 clubs. Firstly, I replace my larger cart bag with a lite weight carry bag, then I put my shoes and about 15 golf balls. That alone tips the scales at about 38 pounds.

Mind you, I have a high quality full hard case made by S.K.B., and it seems a bit heavier than other models.

I really like having my clubs if I am going to play more than one round, however, if its only one round, I drop the $35 - $50 for rentals. Generally, they have high quality rentals at the courses. I kind of think of it as a demo day.

Any more question, just ask away, Macker!

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

If it's revenue neutral or the $$ really isn't important, it comes down to how much you want to lug and how much you like having your sticks.

I fly all over with my clubs, using a ClubGlove cover and a Stiff Arm. I use a SunMountain SLX carry/stand bag and carry the full complement of 14 sticks. I don't mind checking bags and my cover becomes the do-all so I don't have to sweat TSA and a small carry-on takes care of everything else. But I don't fly Allegiant ever so don't face a 40 lb. limit (I had no idea). I can only remember one trip where I went much over 40, probably because I needed rain gear and multiple shoes.

A lot of services and lesser-grade courses will have name stuff but it's often several to many model years old, or the newest stuff comes at the premium price. Just something to consider.

One nice thing about flying often with clubs is that you keep all the shit out of your bag!

5. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As far as your question about Allegiant Air - they consider golf clubs as checked luggage, so you are paying $59.98 to get them to Vegas and back.

Ken is correct about the quality of rentals available - they are all over the place as far as condition, and are generally a few models below the current ones. I have been fortunate about receiving higher models - even, at times, using an assistant Pro's clubs - I think it helps to once be in the golf business (as Ken could probably attest to) and a lower handicap maybe??

I also have used VIP golf service rental clubs - where they deliver them to your hotel's conceirge desk the day before you golf, and you merely return them to the desk after your golf round that day. Quite convenient, and reasonably priced. Quality of clubs, however, were quite sporadic - some really worn, and older models - ie. may get Ping 10 driver (not the new Ping 25)

6. macker69

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dooner I doubt the fact that I was once in the golf business does much but I'm leaning towards this VIP golf that split10s posted because after talking to a live rep they have quite a selection a lot of which is new models and will tell me exactly what I'm getting

7. macker69

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think given that it is only one round ill throw my shoes, a couple sleeves of Pro-Vs and use the VIP service and it will also be the cheapest way

8. split10's?

split10's? Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to thread-drift too far, but also using a soft bag, i've gone to a tennis racket instead of the Stiff-arm like ken2v mentioned. But now that i have a driver with a bolt-on shaft, i'm wondering about just taking them apart and wrapping the head in a towel? Gotta say, you couldn't pay me to use a hard case, so bulky and trunk-consuming...;)

9. thespiritoftruth

thespiritoftruth Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 Ken. The last 2 times I have cleaned out my golf bag in the last year has been because I was taking my clubs on a trip.

10. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Split10's - you are definitely correct about the hard case - can be a huge pain in the butt - lugging it through the airport is annoying! (the major reason I got one is after watching the baggage crew firing golf bags around into/out of the plane was scary - I'll protect my $$$$$ clubs in the hard case)

As far as taking apart the driver head - that's a great idea - just store it in one of the pouches - besides the driver is the club that always seemed to be jammed into the bag!)

11. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea - sometimes they treat you a bit different when you can 'bond' with a fellow person in the business.

What I really liked about the VIP golf was the ability to just go downstairs in the hotel and pick up and drop off clubs without any hassle. Any dealings I've had with them are excellent - superb treatment and service. I've even booked some courses with them for a fair price (that knocks off the prices a bit - especially if you book a few courses - of clubs and green fees). I use golfnow for last minute bookings now (usually for single/twosome bookings).

12. macker69

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WIth you there Dooner, I had to replace my hard case after Mexico, just beat to shit and cracked, luckily clubs were OK. WestJet was easy to deal with and got a check in no time for it

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

I think I'd be more concerned with the head off than on, depending on where it is stored in transit. Yep, hard cases suck for a variety of reasons. I know far more guys who've had problems -- to the case or the contents -- with hard case than a good ballistic nylon like a Club Glove.

My clubs are gonna chalk up a ton of frequent flyer miles this year! :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.