1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golf- a push to make 9 holes a round.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Another idiotic "solution" to a problem presented by those who allowed it to become a problem in the first place. 18 holes is not the culprit. 18 holes played at a self-centered I-get-mine snail's pace is the culprit.

And there is nothing exactly new about 9-hole play.

The powers that be are pushing it as a way to make some revenue, and that is understandable. It is not a way to cure slow play. It's a bit like ordering light beer with an order of fries because one is counting calories.

3. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thats an idiotic idea for sure

Now hockey they should shorten to two periods,what kind of sport has two half times anyway? World cup soccer games they could just have a shootout,save all that running around with no scoring and NBA games should be about three minutes which is maybe all the defense they play.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Considering all the sports you described are shorter than 9 holes duffing around, I'm not sure what your point is.

5. MUFC

MUFC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My local club is designed in such a way that for a 'short' round of golf you either play 7, or 12 holes. I guess you could play 9 holes if you wanted but you will be a long way from the clubhouse on the 9th green. 12 holes is a nice round and works for me as I often play in the evenings after work in the summer months. It seems there is a stigma attached to people playing 9 holes in the US am i right?

6. ken2v

Stigma? Perhaps only held by the stuffed-shirt private-boys who serve on USGA committees and fret themselves over women's day and how someone holds a putter. Public American golf is ironically played in abject denial of most of the rules of the game yet we cloak ourselves in the veil of righteous sanctity, and the vast majority do not even have handicaps. However, 9 ain't a bad thing. Look how many folks play in 9-hole leagues.

Terri and I play many of our rounds at other than 18, though our home course has 18. We typically walk nine late in the afternoon and there are ways on each nine and between nines to play however many we choose.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer to play 18 if it doesn't take 5+ hours. That way I can throw out the 9+ bad holes and just look back on the good ones.:wink2:

I agree with Ken that most of us don't have handicaps. I don't. I've never played on a league and don't play enough rounds in a year to get one.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  8. ken2v

Course owners and the rulesmakers do NOT want to enforce pace of play, as we've talked about here quite a few times, though it is in everyone's best interest for them to do so, and particularly course owners.

What I meant in my previous comment is simply that like in so many ways Americans like to do, American golfers like to wrap themselves in a cloak of propriety but we're really all about cutting corners. In golf specifically, and this is for our UK friend, we are OBSESSED with medal play, though most of our scores are bogus so why a group of friends want to compare cheater bogeys to felonious doubles is beyond me. But one of the reasons we are so slow over here is everyone wants to play it out to the last drop, or at least to the point where "inside the leather" would be generous even if Adam Scott's whole putter was grip; nothing like scraping away a four footer for snowman.

9. ND80

ND80 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only result for this would be most golfers would just play 2 rounds to get their 18 holes in. For the average duffer like myself it takes 9 holes just to warm up. All that would is make it more expensive to play.

Pace of play is clearly a big issue and there are many things golf courses could do to speed up play but for one reason or another, they aren't willing.

Dumb idea overall.

10. ken2v

No one is talking about trying to double-down on players. The gurus are trying to get people to look at 9 holes as a "round" of golf, that it is acceptable to play 9 and still be a "golfer."

Cost always has been half-plus going 9 versus the 18 rate anyway.

11. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Golf is an 18 Hole game.

12. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

A couple weekends ago --
    I got an emergency call on the course from my wife --
    I had to leave at the ninth hole.
    What a "letdown" feeling that was !
    I think i would have rather not played at all ?
    I had read an article about nine hole courses -
    the article was trying to make the Nine hole course comeback.
    The author did state these courses are good for beginners
    or lack of time to play 18.

13. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    9 holes is like having half a round of sex, kinda fun, but entirely unsatisfying.

14. ND80

ND80 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perfect comparison

15. ken2v

13 holes at Bandon Preserve. Is that like getting to third base??? :evillaugh

16. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    are they going to reduce the rate of a round by 1/2 ?? I have a feeling this is not part of the plan??

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.