1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golden Nugget Oct. 21-26

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Snickers, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snickers

Snickers Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

This is not so much a report as a summary of the high points and picks of the week. Out in Vegas for a class so not a lot of time to play, but I fit a little in.

The food intake was somewhat limited, as I am trying to stay on the diet, but some good stuff was found. The steak special at the Hard Rock was lunch each day as I could walk there from the conference/class hotel. Only $7.77 at Mr. Lucky's for steak, three shrimp, potato of choice and a salad. It was great each time but is not on the menu so you have to ask for it. The prime rib special at both the Golden Gate and Binions diners was also very good for the price with all of the sides. The Peppermill was a little higher price but great service and way more food that I could (or would) eat. Last stop was the Palms buffet for some quick and cheap variety before a late flight home and it was actually quite good for about $10 without any discounts (which seemed easy to get if you had thier card.)

The Nugget was a great hotel and check in was easy and quick. Some complain about the wait, but if you have your reservation and credit card ready to go they can respond to your requests and get you on your way. I was 17th floor at the farthest end of the south tower and it really wasn't a bad walk each time (I needed to burn off the food and drink calories anyway.) The shark tank is amazing to see and there is a neat little slot room along that hall area if you want a little quiet out of the crowds to sit and play for a while.

Got to watch the filming of "What Happens in Vegas" at the Planet Hollywood with Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz (spelling?). They let you get very close and you could sit and play slots and watch. Saw the actual scene where he wins the $3,000,000 slot jackpot. Cameron actually came over and played while they were waiting for a shot to be set up which was quite neat.

I had a rental car all week and traffic was insane from 5:00 on when I needed to get to downtown from the southern strip. The highway was actually the worst as I think there was some wreck backing up traffic each day somewhere along the route. I have learned some more side street shortcuts to get from one end to the other, however. The Enterprise folks had me in and out in minutes and return was just as fast. Two folks in a big truck and a van had a wreck at the corner where you turn into the return center, so that backed up buses for about ten minutes, but they must have had a good back up route because they were right back to routine schedule after that.

Slots on the strip were really tight and the strip video poker with decent pay is now gone it seemed. Best playing was downtown and out at the Palms where I could actually win a little back. I don't expect to win, but it is nice to actually get to play a while before your buy-in is gone. Poker at the Monte Carlo was all right, but I would recommend the evening tournament at the Riviera for fun at a low cost ... total was $47 and I played quite a while until a bad beat put me out at the end. The play time was worth it ... the Monte Carlo moved blinds along fast so unskilled players were playing crazy early and either getting lucky (and building chip stacks) or bumping out. Signed up for a hold 'em tournament at the Flamingo and they only ended up with 5 signed for the Tuesday evening tournament so I got the cash back .... wasted the time there waiting and could have made another tournament ... I won't wait for that one again.

Overall a good time and a nice break in the city of fun and entertainment!

If anyone is interested, I have 12 rides on the monrial that are good until next year left over as well as a $25 certificate for Coyote Ugly at New York New York and a few Restaurant.com certificates. Just IM me for info.

2. aggie182

aggie182 Off Key and Out of Tune

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nice and to the point. great tr.

3. gmoney590

gmoney590 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, with what little time you had to play it seemed you played everywhere.
    Any time in Vegas is better than none.

Back where we belong
  4. Snickers

Snickers Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the secret with us regular Vegas folks ... we know where we want to go and how to make the most of our time in the city. I had to plan ahead each day a lot more than I usually like to, however. Staying downtown all week left me with the ease of walking around down there and having a few drinks at the end of the day without having to worry about driving everywhere each night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.