1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Goddamm Deer!!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by jerseyguy, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ate the hell out of the nice arbivitae that I have around my patio in back and now I see they ate a nice shrub in front. Sprayed a bunch of that reallly foul urine smelling repellant all over, even around the back of the yard .Neighbors have to be loving that stuff esp. on a windy day like today.Hope the termites come back soon.

2. NickyDim

NickyDim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They want to use Federal Sharpshooters to thin 3000 head of deer from Long Island, but the people protested and now it's in litigation. Sounds like you could use it there too.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

There's a "gated" community up north that was being overrun with these tall rats. The logical thing was to cull the herd. But, no, the touchy-feelies thought money would be better spent in sterilization; can't remember if it was the does or the bucks. Looked like a crackerjack idea when the fawn pop dropped one season … and then a few "fresh" deer crashed the gates, so to say. Boom.

4. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Deer are tough. The thing that really brings them around is fruiting trees. If your neighborhood has one or some... they'll gravitate to it like flies to poop.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sucks, but at least one didn't run into your car. The average here in a year is 17,000 deer/car crashes. My nephew has hit 5 of them, or they hit him.:evillaugh

10 people a year die on average but the collisions rack up HUGE numbers in vehicle repairs.

Christmas
  6. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're right about that Joe

I've had a few close calls but no hits. Some friends of mine have sustained some major damage from deer down here. We're on the edge of the Pinelands region of Jersey which is a huge mostly woods area loaded with deer.You really have to watch it at night on the back roads especially. You nail one at 70-80 mph on the Parkway I dont even want to think about it.

7. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hit one on the PA Turnpike just over 10 years ago. Two deer leaped over the center divider on the Pike. The divider was so high it was impossible to see the deer until they were already on the highway. The truck in the far left lane that I was trailing by a few car lengths smashed the first one that was closest... It splashed my windshield with blood and launched the deer high into the sky. I was tracking it for fear it would hit me on the way down and I lost track of the second deer. Sure enough, when I looked up, the second deer was right in front of me.

I clipped it's hindquarter and slid up onto my hood and off again and managed to scurry to the safety of the shoulder without hitting anyone else.

Though on the surface it didn't look that bad, it punctured the radiator and did enough damage to the car internally that it effectively totaled the car.

This was prior to me owning a cellphone (it was 2002). When being stuck on the side of the road, meant being stuck on the side of the road.

Ah... the good old days.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never even thought about buying a cell phone until my Saab's cat converter caught fire one night driving home from work. Talk about a helpless feeling...run from the car and watch it burn on the side of the interstate.

Christmas
  9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a freezer full of venison. I'm doing my part:peace: (rather, my husband and FIL are - I just cook the meat)

I live in the boonies. I have a 6+ ft fence (below ground too) around the veggies. Pretty much everything else is sacrificial at some point.....

10. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can do what you want but if your neighbours aren't being careful or your house is right on their usual path, they're not going to stop. They're creatures of habit. One of my friends had a deer come up behind her while she was gardening. Just standing there, watching her garden. Almost like...hey what are you planting...anything I'd like to eat?

11. flyguyfl

flyguyfl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have many of them here in our gated community. I put up a four foot fence to save the wife's flowers in the back yard and spray the front flowers with a product called Deer Off.
    Saw one this morning in the neighbor's yard about 0645.

12. donfairplay

donfairplay Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tall rats... with the heart of gold. :evillaugh

(ok these aren't quite deer, but all the same)

[YOUTUBE]yNy9jTeolUk[/YOUTUBE]

13. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Yeh, the deer ate the hell outta my front yard shrubs.
    My beautiful pink blooms are mostly eaten - or they
    were eaten before they bloomed.
    My tall thin pines ( I don't know the name ? --
    but they looked those tall thin pines in Tuscany ? )
    were all eaten up to about 5ft - same with all my neighbors.
    Looks horrible.
    I've hit a deer w/ EVERY car I've EVER OWNED !
    Can't even count how many.......and all the near misses !
    My father had one come thru his windshield.....Jesus !
    Try this for laughs ----
    I had a turkey almost fly into my open truck window.
    It just hit the top.....
    and I had feathers flying around me ( in the driver seat )
    while I'm driving down the road !:evillaugh

14. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I'm not alone with deer issues

My own wife is a traitor ,"Oh they're so cute,especially the little ones". And of course she's the one whose car will probably never get hit. At least she got a nose full of that repellant yesterday,HA HA.

15. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Kansas, a hawk flew straight into the windshield of our pickup. It was severely damaged. The hawk and the windshield both. I was in the Air Force on security patrol of some missle sites. We tried to save it but it died en route to a vet. (The hawk, not the windshield).

I also hit a deer at 3 A.M. on a country road in Maryland. It wandered away after destroying the left front of my pickup. The first thing one of the locals said to me was "Didja find the meat?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.