1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

GN/Downtown May 3rd-7th

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Jade88, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade88

Jade88 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

This TR is long overdue and might be a little long. I also want to apologize about the spelling and grammar but will do my best to keep them down to a minimum.

MAY 3rd, Monday

We flew out of Hector international airport in Fargo on Allegiant air.
    Check in and screening went very quick and we actually ended up being pretty early for our flight. They have done a great job of expanding and updating their gate area.
    We took the advice from the boards and brought only carry on luggage so boarding and flight were problem free. It's actually really nice not to have to pick anything up from baggage claim. We went right to the shuttle bus and found only two other people on board.
    I had not seen the updated GN and was pretty blown away by the changes they had made. There was a short wait at the registration desk but over all it was not a bad wait. We originally had a standard room and asked to be upgraded. they did not have any rooms open and offered to upgrade us to the Rush tower for only ten more dollars a night.
    I am more than happy that we did this. The room was on the 21st floor and had a great north facing view. I am in love with their bathrooms and the large tubs. Our only problem was a broken shower handle but with a little work we got it to be at least partially useable.
    Other than the handle and some construction noise during the day the room was perfect and a place i would love to stay again. After dropping off our bags we headed down for some food, drinks and gaming. Hit MC'Ds at Fitz's and then went back to the GN. The drink service for us was great, the gaming not so much. I did win a bonus round on a Monopoly machine but that was over at the LVC. We also spotted our fist working lady there. Neither of them very attractive, a theme that seems to run downtown the more i go there.
    After winning 120.00 on Monopoly we went back to our room and crashed. I love those beds, although most would find them to soft.

DAY 2 , TUES

Went to the EL CO for breakfast. The food was good for the price. yes it was smoky both in the hotel and the restaurant. On the way out we stopped at the .25 roulette and spent fifty bucks between the two of us. Ended up ordering corona's and having a blast. Neither my hubby or i have played much Roulette and after a couple of beers and up a little bit we decided to walk up to the jerky store and stock up on bottle water and snacks. Back at the room we hear the sounds of construction and decided to hit the strip instead of chilling in the room. We didn't know it was construction at first, thought it was the air conditioner. Turns out they are working on the roof still.
    We walked freemont before going over to Mermaids and had some drinks and dogs. No trip is the same without a stop at Mermaids for one of their dogs and some people watching.
    We then walked down to the duce stop and while trying to get duce passes out of the machine we ran into a homeless guy who offered to give us change. He flashed us a wad of cash and then proceeded to ask for some change. I liked his honesty when he told us he was a vet and ended up giving him one of the dollar coins that i carry with me for tips. I know, stupid :nono: and it was not the first time i did this.
    We thought we could catch the shuttle bus over to the orleans but sitting on the duce with the sun beating in on us made us hot and thirsty so we got off at the Wynn stop and walked down to the Flamingo. I found a wicked machine and stuck in a twenty. Ten bucks later i hit another bounus and cashed out with another 100.00. We then tried to take the Cat bus over to the Orleans. Neither hubby nor i have ever been to the Orleans. We ended up going way past where we should have gotten off and had to backtrack to a different bus, then run to catch another one. By the time we got there i was ready to go back to the strip. We had dinner at Fuderuckers, good but pricy at least for me. After spending some time there we decided to head back to the Flamingo where i lost most of what i had won earlier.
    We walked up the strip, stopping into the V, Plazzo and Wynn on our way to the bus stop. Back at the GN we had more drinks and i proceeded to lose the rest of my winnings and all of my next days bankroll. We had a blast though and ended up playing more spot the hooker. I did play a lot more VP on this trip and should have stuck to just that, but i love those slots.

DAY 3- WEN'S

Not feeling so hot today. With the broken shower and loss of bankroll i was more than a little grumpy. We hit the pool and i start to feel much better. I love the shark tank and the slide. Was tempted to get drinks but thought i should at least eat first.
    After the pool we use our bogo coupon for the buffet at Freemont. The place is a little dark and food was standard fair, service was great though and i liked their decor. After dinner we headed over to Tickets for Tonight and got tickets for Madame Tussaudes, X- Burlesque and 50% off at Planet Hollywood. Walked down to the duce, headed to Ceacer's so that we can find Planet Hollywood and do some sightseeing before going to MT and X-Burlesque.
    Hungry we decide to head over to the V and eat at the food court. Had a heck of a time trying to find it...LOL On the way over we took the cheesy pic with the birds out front of Margaritavill, playing more spot the hooker and dropping some money into the slot's along the way.
    After grabbing a bite we hit MT's and although they had a few new figures i think i am getting board with it. It seemed to go by a lot faster this trip and we took much less pic's than before.
    With time to kill before X we headed back downtown, changed cloths and headed back down the strip to see the show. We thought we might be able to catch the fountain show but the wind was too strong that night.
    Played more slots, so we could get our drinks before the show. The line was pretty long and people kept pushing through us. One woman almost knocked me over, saying to her friend...What else can I do, there's a line.
    My hubby says to her back...Go around. I thought she was going to hit him. Her friend had to grab her and pull her away as she glared daggers at us.
    X was great except for the ten dollar glass of wine. I guess i should have known it would be expensive but i thought it would be around six or seven.
    Afterwards we walked the strip a bit and then got on the Ace back to downtown. There was an old man with his hand down his pants and as much as i tried to look away he was pretty much in my line of sight. We ended up changing seats at the next stop.
    Ended the night with a little more gambling at GN, lots more drinking and with sore feet went to bed around three.

DAY 4- THURS.

Went to dunkin donuts and made plans to hit the shark reef and eat at Planet Hollywood. By this time i had a ton of change in my pockets and was looking to get rid of it. We ended up talking to an Australian woman and her two year old boy who were also staying at the GN. She was on vacation with him and looking for places to take him. I suggested she come with hubby and i to the shark reef.
    Before the bus came another man was asking for change and i gladly handed over all the change i had on me. No way was i going to drag it down the strip. From the guy's smile i think i made his day.
    We got on the bus, chatting with my new friend the whole way. I love the shark reef, it never gets old to me and my new friends loved it to. After the reef we took her over to the the Luxor and Excal, before heading our separate ways and making plans to meet up for dinner. I swear that i saw Shawn White getting into an elevator at Excal but hubby says it was not him and the doors shut before i could see his face.
    We had a good meal at Planet Hollywood. Even with the coupon it was expensive and not something i think i would do again. After we ate we headed back up the strip. Changed for dinner and met our new friends downstairs. We chose the Grotto for dinner, Good food, great service and good prices. My hubby had the caesar salad and i had the vodka infused ravioli.
    After dinner we went for coffee at Starbucks and caught the last of the light show. Tired from going up and down the strip all day we ended up heading to bed early, making plans to have breakfast with them.

DAY 5- FRI.

Our last day we took our friends over to MSS for the buffet. I love the MSS and had another good meal. We talked and laughed like we were old friends. Her little boy was so cute and man did that kid have an arm. Any other kid throwing food would have annoyed me but this one didn't. I just hope he didn't hit anyone else around us. After breakfast we walked down Freemont, stopping in the shops so that i could get a few things to take home and then we had to pack up and check out.
    I almost forgot to tell the desk guy about the broken shower lever and hope that they got it fixed. The shuttle ride to the airport was full yet fast and easy. Had a little more trouble with security on the way home...LOL I forgot some change in my pocket and had to go though twice. We also got random checked and got to watch them test our contact solution.
    We are now planning to spend our six year anniversary there on 6/6/12. I think that will be more than enough time to do some planning and save up a little more money.
    Over all it was another great trip. We will definitely stay at the GN and a Rush Tower room again. I love downtown and can not wait to go back. There are a few things i wish i had done more of to. I wish i would have spent more time at the pool. Gone to the Rio and Paris and gotten over to Hooters for their 100.00 dollar free-play.

2. tcocona

tcocona Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    trip Report

Sounds like you had an enjoyable trip.Good for you. How generous of you to befriend the Australians.They would do the same for you back home.Don,t waste your time or energy on the Hooters free $100.00 promotions it really,really sucks!!!!!

3. lithelady

lithelady Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the report. i've been thinking about doing a stint at the GN - I haven't been there in a decade or so. It sounds good, but I am surprised you didn't call about the broken shower handle on day one.

Then again, I'm a real hotel caller and fixer - one time at Caesars, I had a list of 5 things in my Augustus Tower room that I found the first day; I asked them to have it all fixed before I came in that night. I was there when one guy came to fix the hinge on the shower door. He said to me, "holy s***, I can't believe no one reported this before. This could have actually fallen off and seriously hurt someone." Wobbly chair, sluggish drain, makes you wonder what housekeeping does when they go in a room.

Anyway, repair notices aside, thanks for the TR. I'm like you -- there is something about slots that I really like...probably it's the lure of the potential for a big pay off with every punch of the buttom . So despite all I know (and all I lose) I return to them time and time again.

4. Jade88

Jade88 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We loved the Golden Nugget so much we are thinking of making it our new Vegas home away from home. I love the location, easy walks to everything and really did have outstanding service. If the show had not worked at all i would have called to have it fixed but it was just a matter of keeping the bugger in place. They had a lot of fun slots and i did find a 9/8 video poker that was pretty good to me.

5. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever "The Welfare Queen of Windsor"

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyable read!
    I can't imagine..taking the Deuce to the Strip..then going back dwtn to change clothes and taking it AGAIN the same day!
    You must have been sooo tired!

6. technolight

technolight Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great TR , we were in the GN last year and loved it.

7. Jade88

Jade88 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ahhh the duce/ace I hate and love them...LOL I was pretty tired going back and forth. I would love to stay on the strip next trip but for us low rollers it's cheaper to stay downtown and take the bus. I liked the Orleans but i think next trip i will not be going out there.

8. pumpkinfish

pumpkinfish Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report! Makes me wish I was back there right now!

9. RorySF

RorySF Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fell in love with Golden Nugget and downtown, too. The majority of our future trips, if not all, will be spent there.

Is it November yet?

10. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So you got married on 6/6/6? Awesome! :thumbsup:

11. kinkette

kinkette Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think you were stupid for giving the homeless vet a dollar chip - if he was a vet he deserves much more and if he wasn't - well, it's all about karma baby :peace:

1st time @ The Bellagio!!! Yay me :)
  12. Jade88

Jade88 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We got married in Vegas on 6/6/6 at the Viva Las Vegas chapel. It was hotter than hell that day and they were cranking those weddings out like you wouldn't believe. I was even thinking of renewing our vows this time, Maybe as a surprise to my mother in law who might come with.

13. momasidechick1

momasidechick1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have been thinking about staying at GN but my husband is quite large and have concerns that the bathroom will be tiny and small (I am talking 600 pounds of Man). We normally stay at Excalibur... their bathrooms are large and have a walk in shower which is quite large. If you have stayed at Excalibur and GN could you please respond..... Thanks...

14. texas_aggie_girl_93

texas_aggie_girl_93 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The bathrooms at GN are very tiny. I don't think you will be happy there. No comparison to Excalibur. The large walk in showers are my favorite thing about Excalibur.

15. Jade88

Jade88 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah we did. I loved the Viva las Vegas chapel and have been seriously thinking about renewing our vows on 6/6/12. I am thinking that a weekend trip might come first though. I can not wait two years to head back to Vegas.

16. JaviSRK

JaviSRK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Hey, I got married there too! :thumbsup:

17. Jade88

Jade88 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not in the rush tower! Those have double sinks, large tubs and separate toilet area. What i loved the most was the sliding doors.

18. texas_aggie_girl_93

texas_aggie_girl_93 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great to hear Jade888! Thanks! I have not checked out the Rush Tower rooms yet.

19. Jade88

Jade88 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to state that the rush tower bathroom is on the small size for a large person. It might be a bit confining if you wish to shut the door.

20. Jade88

Jade88 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here are some photos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.