1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Giving up the Gold

Discussion in 'Comps' started by boxofbirds, Aug 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxofbirds

boxofbirds High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I didn't quite get enough tier credits on my last trip to continue my Mlife Gold status for the following year (not sure how as I was almost platinum last year...). I'm About 8,000 tier credits short. Almost booked another trip in September because I had 3 comp nights to use, hoping to make up the last 8k in tier credits before the end of September. But then I got invited to my friend's birthday celebration in Vegas at the end of October, so decided to use my comp nights for that instead.

I think I'm ok with dropping from Gold down to Pearl starting in October, but not sure if maybe it's worth the cash just to try to get a trip in before the cut off date. I think the opinion on the board is that the Mlife tiers don't mean much, other than the 20% tier multiplier for the free play and express comps. But can't decide if I want to try to squeeze another trip in.

I seem to remember last year there was a promotion or something to get people to earn bonus tier credits at the last minute in order to get to the next tier... but so far haven't heard anything from Mlife. Does anyone know if that's happening again? Or did I dream that up?

Keep in mind, I wouldn't be going 100% just because I want to get Gold status, but mostly because I love Vegas and will go any chance I get! :drunk:

Trip #12
  2. pressitagain

pressitagain Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recall that promotion as well.

If you don't...you might make it to platinum the following year.

If you go...have a blast!!!

3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, you would lose a 10% bonus in Point Play and Express Comps (1 base cent each per point) on the next 7500 points (75,000 Tier) earned. So that's 7500 x $0.02 x 0.1 = $15 loss and a fancy linecutter for Gold+ members. So unless you were really wanting to go to Vegas during that time frame anyway, I would probably pass. But if you want to go back, I won't object to another TR!

4. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is an excellent assessment. If you want to add an extra trip, do it! But I would in no way consider it so you can make Gold

5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been Platinum the last several years, on the basis of both gambling and hotel spend for 5 or 6 nights 2x a year. I won't get that close this year, but I don't care.

One of the main benefits of MLife Platinum to me was the ability to book suites at a 25% discount. A lot of the time MGM has 20% discount promos going, but usually they don;t apply the the suites I wanted to book.

But over the last year or so, MGM's made it clear that tier level discounted MLife bookings are at the bottom of the pecking order, and I got bumped two trips in a row. So now I'm only staying there 2 - 3 nights a trip in a whatever they offer me fully comped.and moving my suite stays to Cosmo where I can generally get 33 - 40% off rack for a suite through a combination of regular discount offers and comp nights+upgrade fees.

So the only remaining benefit of Platinum that I actually use and am giving up is 1/10 of a cent bonus in ECs and PointPlay per $3 coin in. That's 0.006%.of my play.

6. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The base earnings are 1 cent each of EC and PointPlay per $3 coin in. So the 10% bonus is only worth 1/10th of a cent each, so 7,500 * $0.002, or $1.50.

7. JeJas

JeJas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The best benefit is Perl+ to cut the buffet line. Other than that, I don't see any benefit unless you reach Noir.
    Dropping from Gold to Perl means nothing (well, as people above said, $15 or $1.5).

8. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cutting the Taxi line with Platinum is pretty damned sweet, though. Saves a good chunk of time on friday and saturday nights, especially.

9. Grid

Grid VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And I always use the free Shark Reef passes or the petting zoo behind Mirage with my Platinum card each trip.

10. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I'm not gonna post the full version of my Infamous "chasing mLife Platinum" story again.

Long story short. Short about 100,000 TC from platinum, booked a trip in August.

After three and a half days, down $7K, . In the last 15 minutes, hit a $6K jackpot. When the host came to hand pay me, he brought out a Platinum card with my name on it. I was ready to "take my beating", but was VERY, VERY fortunate.

Just remember (and I'm sure that I'm not telling you anything that you don't know already), the rewards should be significant enough for you to want to put in the time and money.

New Orleans 7* retreat. Food, food, and more food . . . .
    Tentatively Tahoe or LV . . . .
  11. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't care about the bonus but cutting the taxi line is a real benefit to me.
    Especially after a show or any event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
    Walking to the front of a cab line that is backed up through the lobby at MGM has saved me 45 min to 1 hour many times.

12. boxofbirds

boxofbirds High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone for the responses, it makes me feel better about not going for it!

Yeah I figured it probably wasn't worth it, but seeing the math makes it much easier! Whether it's $15 or $1.50! Maybe if I had some more comp nights on the strip to use and a bunch of airline miles to pay for the plane ride then I might do it.... But not if I have to spend out of pocket, I would rather save that for gambling during the October trip!

Now if I was 8,000 tier credits from Platinum I might do it. Some of the Platinum perks are definitely more interesting.

But I think I'm fine with giving up the Gold for now.... unless some crazy good Mlife offer falls from the sky. :rolleyes2:

Trip #12
  13. StephGrahamKC

StephGrahamKC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I would not chase it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.