1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Getting a discounted room for a friend?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by mrem3200, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrem3200

mrem3200 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am new to the whole host thing so apologies if this is a stupid question. I was assigned a host after my last trip so I have zero relationship with him, just one phone call and a few e-mails. My normal offers (I am a CET guy) are for up to 5 nights comped in a standard room and some free play and resort credit (last trip was $250 FP and $100 RC). So I am planning my next trip and will be going for 3 nights, which the host told me would be comped and he would let me know about free play/resort credit once the dates were nailed down (I am not entirely sure why the dates matter for that but whatever). The friend that I am going with may go a day before me. So my question is, can my host give my friend a deal on the room for the first night of our trip, the one that I won't be there for. Well, I know he CAN, the question is can he do it without costing me any of my comps?

I know it is not a lot of money but a $20 (or whatever) discount on the room could be enough to factor into my friends decision about going a day early or not. He is a $5-$10 per hand BJ player so not going to get any love based on his play.

I know I could ask my host but A) he is off today and tomorrow and B) I don't want to come across as a needy dick asking for something for my friend in one of my first conversations with him. On the other hand if you don't ask you don't get...

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The dates matter because they try to give you comps up front that will be equal to what they expect you to earn on the trip.

So if you are worth $200 per day in comps, as an example, and going for 3 nights then they would try to give you $600 worth of comps up front for this trip. If your hotel is $100 per night then that uses up $300 of the $600 worth of comps so they might then throw in $200 in free play and $100 worth of food and drink... but if you are going on a weekend and that same room is now $175 per night for two nights and $100 for the third night thats using up $450 worth of comps and only leaves $150 worth of comps so then they might only give you $100 in free play and $50 in food and drink.

And thats just talking about comps up front, what they use to entice you to come back. If you gamble more than on your previous trip you can earn more comps on this trip and then everything will be adjusted so that on the trip after, the next one in the future, you will be given more up front.

The answer is going to be "not likely" so you really will have to ask your host about that one.

What really matters there is how big of a player you are: if you are a higher roller then they might be willing to give him an extra night, but the key thing is that comps and offers are to get *YOU* back to Las Vegas, not to get your buddies and family to Las Vegas (unless they are going to be high rollers too).

You didn't say where you were staying, if it was one of the more expensive properties or not, but if it is (Planet Hollywood, Paris, Caesars) then you could just tell your friend to stay somewhere else for the first night and then the two of you meet up the next day and check in to the other hotel the next night.

3. mrem3200

mrem3200 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Aug, your comment about why the dates matter makes perfect sense to me now...I just didn't really give it much thought. I didn't expect the host to do much for my friend (nor do I think he should) but as I said if you don't ask... As far as where we are staying, I am not sure yet of my last 3 trips 2 were at Bally's and 1 at Paris. And no I am not a very high roller. Thanks again for the response.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He's not going to comp your friend, but Caesars has Friends and Family rates, and your host should at the very least be able to book that.

5. bubbakitty

bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You could comp your friend the 20 $ if it is important to you from your FP or resort credit -- meal or something. Or tell your friend you'll need 10 $ a night that he stays with you just to cover incidentals (what a deal) then waive the charge. That way he saved 30 $.

I think in the future when you have established yourself and the host is comfortable you would have a reasonable chance at him / her "floating" you a rate in this situation and if it doesn't come to fruition from his perspective, probably not again....once burned....good luck!!

1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
    Spur of momento trip
  6. mrem3200

mrem3200 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, this was all I was hoping for. I didn't expect him to comp my friend without me paying for it out of my comps.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.