1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

George Wallace is done -- alternatives?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by MisplacedTexan, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've been toying with the idea of seeing George Wallace on our next trip, but according to THIS STORY and a quick look at the Flamingo ticket system, it appears to be true.

I'm kinda bummed about it because I'd heard the show was pretty good. Other than Rita Rudner or Terry Fator, can anybody think of any comedy alternatives that are kinda PG-13 and put on a great show?

2. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

Carrot Top . seriously. i was dubious, too, but he impressed.

3. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second this recommendation - have seen him a few times and he has always put on a good show.

Steven Wright sometimes plays at The Orleans, and he's funny / clean. John Pinette would have been a recommendation as well, but he passed last week.

Seinfeld and Cosby would also fit the bill.

4. DBear

DBear VIP Whale

I luv Carrot Top and even though I agree with the pg 13 rating, I probably still wouldn't bring a 13 year old to see him. Not raunchy but just enough adult jokes to make you stop. Lots of cuss words though.

Danny Gans is fun downtown. Music and comedy and impersonations all in one show. Works out great timing wise if you plan on going to Fremont anyways.

Not many comedy headliners that have constant gigs. Might have to check a show calendar to see one time or this weekend oly type shows. Jay Leno used to do a lot of weekends in Vegas. He's definitely pg 13.

5. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe Danny Gans died in 2009. I think you may be thinking of Gordie Brown at the Golden Nugget. He is Danny Gans' successor and is supposed to be pretty similar from what I've heard.

6. MisplacedTexan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You know, Gordie Brown may be a great option. I can't believe I didn't think of it! I'm pretty sure we can score free tickets -- or at least buy-one, get-one from the GN coupon book.

7. DBear

DBear VIP Whale

Ahh yes. Gordie Brown.

8. oaktownjc

oaktownjc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    laughs

This year I've seen, Carrot, George Wallace, Gordie Brown, Jeff Cavilico.
    Jeff is good, mid-day g to pg rating. Carrot was good, pg13 to r rated. Gordie was good, pg to pg13. George was g rated but not funny, I was so disappointed in his show.

9. Earthman

Earthman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was surprised that I liked Carrot Top as much as I did - I found his show to be extremely funny, except for a bit at the end where he jumped around the stage playing air guitar to just-short-enough samples of popular music - he looked like he was having a good time, but I don't understand why he thought we would want to watch him pleasuring himself. Still, I would see his show again - last time I discovered that if you go to the Luxor box office and charge the tickets to your room, they give you 2 for the price of 1 (or at least they did back in 2010).
    Don't feel bad about missing the George Wallace show - it was hands-down the worst comedy show I've ever seen in Vegas. It started with video clips from the civil rights era (I didn't come to Vegas for a history lesson about one of the most unpleasant times in America, m'kay?) interspersed with clips from an interview with a clearly senile elderly woman saying embarrassingly cringeworthy things. Wallace then came out and actually advised us that the box office was closed and there would be no refunds. He then launched into his unfunny "I be thinkin'" routine, which seemed to be little more than an advertisement for the ommemorative shirts, berets, and other memorabilia on sale at the entrance. There was an obvious plant in the audience feeding him lines, and another group which seemed to think that audience participation was appropriate - it was sort of like being in church with a demented preacher. Don't shed any tears for missing this one.

10. MisplacedTexan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everybody! I know I'd enjoy Carrot Top, but my wife -- well, not so much. Maybe I'll risk it. Of all the shows we've seen, the closest thing we've come to a comedy show was Mac King.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.